Kauai hotel suggestions

Search

Kauai hotel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai hotel suggestions

I will be on Kauai a few days before starting a 9 day hiking trip on 3 islands. I am looking for suggestions on where to stay. I may not rent a car because I've seen most of the major scenic attractions before (even though it was quite a while ago). I want to stay either in Poipu or the Lihue area. Here are my priorities.

High-end larger resort on the beach
Minimal amount of kids
Nice large beach with drink service on the beach
Boogie Boarding Beach a plus
Gently sloping beach
Fitness Center
Shuttle service to Lihue/Poipu a plus
Not over 350.00 per night
Good buffet breakfast
Good restaurants on site
Near good restaurants not on site (within 2 miles)

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM

High-end larger resort on the beach: we have only 2 that meet your "Po`ipu/Lihu`e" criteria -- Marriott or Hyatt

Minimal amount of kids: no guarantees...sorry

Nice large beach with drink service on the beach: no on-the-beach drink service at any of hotels, but Marriott has the nicer beach of the 2 hotels mentioned

Boogie Boarding Beach a plus: Marriott

Gently sloping beach: Marriott

Fitness Center: hmmm...not sure

Shuttle service to Lihue/Poipu a plus: neither hotel offers this (I think the Radisson, on the east side, still does a shuttle from the airport to the hotel)

Not over 350.00 per night: both hotels

Good buffet breakfast: Sundays only, I think

Good restaurants on site: both hotels

Near good restaurants not on site (within 2 miles): both hotels

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:13 AM

I stayed in the Hyatt last summer. We had a lovely breakfast buffet daily included with our room. It was served in a large open dining room with ponds and swans right outside. Everything from fruit to smoked salmon to Eggs Benedict was included. It was one of my favorite parts of staying there. There were other things about the resort I didn't like - had a very snooty feel to it, somehow...
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Overall I like the Kauai MArriott the best even if it isn't the fanciest resort on Kauai. The location on sheltered Kalapaki Bay is lovely. The beach is gently sloping, there is a fitness center, several good restaurants within walking distance. There is a huge lawn adjacent to the sand that is full of loungers and lounge-side drink service is plentiful.

Some people do not like this location due to the proximity to Nawiliwili HArbor and the airport. In my opinion, the airport noise is minimal and watching the cruise ships glide in is a plus!

There will be kids there if you are going in summer or any other school vacation.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Hi We loved the Hyatt over the Marriott. We were fortunate to ge an up grade to a one bedroom suite paying a discounted rate for a garden view room. We had a double balcony and a great oceanview. The property is beautiful and so is the Marriott as we had stayed there once before. But the Hyatt is my favorite.
Karen