Search

Kauai Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 10:56 AM
jaxs

Kauai Help

Thanks for many Fodors posting I have managed to have many ideas for both Honalulu and Maui. However, I will be in Kauai for 4 days and am looking for suggestion re:
1. Restaurants
- not too expensive but good
- told of one rest. - a hut and you are sitting over water - but do not know the name
2. Good worthwhile places to see - looking for a mix of R&R and touring the island over the 4 days
Any suggstions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Happy Holidays!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:48 AM
JMM

1. North shore - beautiful - depending on time of year you can swim at some beaches (BE AWARE tho that in the winter north shore beaches are VERY dangerous) I recommend Anini beach (northeast) - always swimable and safe thanks to barrier reef.
Another safe swimming beach on the East coast is Lydegate Park.
2. Interior - Waimea Canyon and Kokee - gorgeous. This excursion should take a whole day but it is an absolute MUST DO. - bring insect repellant if you think you will be doing any significant walking around. On the way back stop at one of the south shore beaches for a swim.
3. Try to see a couple of waterfalls.
Restaurants: due to budget constraints we mostly ate at fast food type places like Bubba Burgers (try the Ono fish sandwhich - yummy) One night we treated ourselves to dinner at Margarita's (a Mexican restaurant on the east shore highway) - we enjoyed it and it was not unreasonable.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Mark

Where are you staying on Kauai? We stayed at a wonderful B&B in Kapaa town the alohiani. it was 85/night and WONDERFUL! As far as resturants are concerned, there is a fantastic chinese rest. called Mei Mei on the east shore just south of Kapaa before your get to the turnoff for the airport in a little strip mall. There is a TCBY next door for desert. There is alos a great Itlaian restaraunt across from the entrance to the Mariott, (can't remember the name) but it was very good and not too expensive. There is always Roy's in the Poipu area, and the orginal Pacific Cafe (The sesame crusted Mahi Mahi is the BEST I have had) are some higher priced choices.As far as things to see:

Waimea Canyon - Gotta see it.

Spend the $ (it's not too expensive) and do a zodiac ride along the Na Pali Coast on the north shore.

Spouting Horn on Poipu, also very safe to swim, and usually very sunny.

Fern Gtotto, a little Kitschy but you might be into that sort of thing.

The light house on the way to Princeville on the North Shore.

have a great trip

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 10:05 PM
David

Hi, we did 6 days at Kauai in June for our honeymoon. We totally enjoyed the 60 mins Jack Harter helicopter tour of the whole Kauai island. We also did the Napali Coast catamaran with Captain Andy (saw flying fish, sea turtle & raced with dolphins, great experience.) ... both of these rides were great. HOWEVER, if you get motion sickness easily, I suggest you to take some anti-motion sickness pills ahead of time. You won't regret those rides.
Waimea Canyon is good to see.

The hut you are talking about might be the Hyatt's rest. (either Tidepool or Ilima Terrace.) See link here: http://www.hyatt.com/usa/kauai/hotel...nts_kauai.html I heard there crab legs were AWESOME. Their price might be higher than you would expect.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!
David

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:53 AM
joni

Captain Zodiac won't be running this time of year, however the North Shore is beautiful. Stop at the Roadrunner Cafe for breakfast in Kilauea by the Lighthouse on the way to Princeville.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:37 AM
jax

thanks for your feedback!
We will be there the end of Jan, so I guess I should avaoi the North shore - what is dangerous about it?
We are staying at Radisson in Lehue- anyone know anything about it?
What exactly is a zodiac ride and do you recommend the best way to see NaPali coast?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 07:07 AM
kal

jaxs,
We'll be over in 10 days for our 10th trip. We'll keep doing it until we get it right!

I think The Radisson is the old Outrigger hotel. I recall seeing a few good reviews posted here recently.
Backs up to the Hanamaulu beach. Go for a nice long walk in the morning sunrise.

Since you're near Lihue, Wailua, Kapaa a lot of good, inexpensive restaurants a short car ride away.

In Lihue, near the Marriott, Dukes is nice. Good fish.
The Italian restaurant the above poster mentioned may be Cafe Portifino.

A nice little hole in the wall in Lihue is Hamura's Saimin Stand. Excellent saimin and chik/beef teriyaki stix.
Rob's Good time Grill was also a good place for local food and it's a sports bar/dancing.
Up in Kapaa, Hong Kong Cafe, Mema's, Wailua Family Rest., Kintaro's (sushi=$$) Eggberts, Korean BBQ.

For a water view, The Bull Shed juts out enough to have the o'spray come thru the windows.

Zodiacs are the big wave crashing, motorized rubber rafts that cruise the No Shore. The No Shore is a bit rough in the winter months so going out is rather iffy. "No chummin'".
The good news is that the ocean spray fills up the Hanalei Valley so sunsets are fantastic when viewed from the Pville Hotel or from the Hanalei Overlook.

We are big Jack Harter fans, too. Best way to see the NaPali is by helicopter!

Since you're in the Lihue area, you may want to kayak up the Wailua to the waterfall or the Fern Grotto.

A good day hike is a nice romp up the back side of the Sleeping Giant Mtn.
You could take the long walk at the posted trail head or drive behind the mtn and park off of Lokilana for the shortcut.

Also see a sunset from Polihale and then hit Brickoven Pizza on the way back.

Don't know if I can wait 10 mo' days!
Mucho Mahalos,
Kal

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Suzie

Boo hoo, only 4 days. Careful planning will yield the best mix of relaxing and siteseeing. If you pick one day to see the west shore check out Waimea Canyon and try one of the hikes in the book the Ultimate Kaui Guidebook. (Which you must purchase) Pay attention to the ratings. If they say it's moderately hard don't go!!!! We went on one that was moderately hard and it was. Met up with some peeps from Santa Clara and at least misery had company. It had been really hot and dry so when we got to the "pool" and "waterfall" well let's just say the whole thing was a bust.

End the day with a trip to Polihale beach for a sunset. We're really sorry we didn't fit in a trip there but the time just goes by. Well, that and you do start slowing down to fit the whole "Hawaii time" thing.

Not going in 10 more days.....more reason for boo hoo.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:37 PM
mike

it is always worj picking up the book, you never know what you could find...

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 01:47 PM
jax

Is it best to rent a car for the few days in Kauai in order to get around the island easily?

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 01:57 PM
kal

Jaxs,
Car is mandatory on Kauai. Especially a convertibile so you don't miss a thing!

Kal
9 mo....

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 12:13 PM
JMM

Dont avoid the north shore - it is beautiful - just DONT SWIM there in January - BIG Waves and Rip Currents Save your swimming for South shore beaches or on north east shore Anini Beach (safe because of barrier reef - just DO NOT swim near the channel) or on East Coast - Lydgate Park is safe for swimming (protected by huge break wall). Avoid other East Coast beaches for swimming - Rip currents.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 11:07 AM
jax

thanks for your feedback - cannot wait until we go!