Kauai, Hawaii one week in August

Old Jan 31st, 2014, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai, Hawaii one week in August

Hi there! I'm looking for advice and tips from people who have been to Kauai. My wife and I, along with our two college age daughters, are planning a trip to the island for one week in August. Here are some ideas we have and I would love any feedback and advice you can offer. We were going to fly into Honolulu and spend one night there to see Pearl Harbor and then continue on to Kauai. Once on Kauai we are torn between whether to stay on the north side or the south side. I love the idea of the lush, green mountains (and cooler temperatures) of the north side, whereas my wife wants sandy beaches (with chairs) and calm waters for snorkeling. (The daughters are just glad to be going along!) We are considering splitting our time with 4 days in the north and 3 or 4 in the south. I'm wondering what advice you can give us about our stay on the island. I was looking at some condos in the north called Pu'u Poa. Has anyone stayed there? How important is air conditioning in August? Also, looking at The Sheraton in Poipu in the south. Are there other places nearby that would make sense? I can see that it's very expensive there so I would say we would like to keep the budget at around 350.00 or less per night?

So to boil it down; where should we stay, north or south?
Do we need air conditioner?
If we divide our times, with north and south, how long should we stay in each area?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 09:58 AM

It is only a short drive so stop you anxiety... I would recommend a few days in each area... no worries...
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 10:05 AM

Stay in the gorgeous north and drive to see Poipu, Waimea Canyon, etc. You will want the option of A/C -- anywhere in Hawaii, at any time of year. Take a boat tour around the Pali. Take a helicopter or fixed wing tour. I like Hanalei best, but we always visit in winter, when it's smart to stay south.

Do you live west coast? Can you fly home from Kauai?
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 10:36 AM

Actually, in the summer, the beaches in the north are better for snorkeling as those in the south are exposed to the south Pacific's winter ocean conditions. But except perhaps for the Hanalei Colony Resort, there's nothing I know of on the north shore that fits the description of what your wife is imagining. Everything in Princeville is on a bluff/cliff and requires a walk down to any beach.

Have you consider vacation rental homes? We've rented one near Tunnels Beach in September that's close to within your budget: http://www.balihai.com/KauaiVacation...Place_184.aspx.

As for changing locations, most condos/homes give discounts for 6 - 7 night stays, and also charge a cleaning fee, no matter how long you stay. Which is one reason I agree with Sue. The other is that there's no better place in Hawaii during the summer than the north shore of Kaua'i.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 10:44 AM

North Shore is gorgeous and calm that time of year. Heard of Pua Poa but not stayed there. A friend owns at Hanalei Bay Resort, look into renting from an owner there, by August their restaurant and Happy Talk Lounge will be back open. Nice pools and short drive to Hanalei Beach - 10 minutes tops.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
North shore.

There is a constant little breeze so no A/C required though it depends upon how "cool" you like to be.

http://www.halemakaicottages.com/HaleMakai.aspx
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM

We have spent many summers in Kauai on an oceanfront house (an entire month each time, can't beat it and yes, teenagers).
We prefer the North shore for sure. Hanalei is a really cool town w lots of great restaurants and a relaxed feel, of course, ALL of Kauai makes you feel relaxed.

One of our FAV spots is Hanalei Bay Resort. Can't beat the views from the restaurant (think rainbows and sunsets every night in the open air) and love the happy hour bar and music. They also have (r at least had) a great pool and has a shortcut to sandy Princeville beach, I mean SHORT CUT.

Princeville Resort is awesome to dine, sunday brunch, shop but I believe Hanalei can offer studios adjoining each other. We have stayed in condos near Princeville while waiting for our rental house to become available but were disappointed to see the beautiful beaches that are too rocky to maneuver.

Hot Tip: groceries in Hanalei are $$$$, shop in Kapaa where they have much better grocery prices on your way to Hanalei from the airport. You can easily go from North to South so don't sweat it
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 12:38 PM

Love Hale Makai, clarkgriswold, but the cheapest cottage there is $375, and those are one bedroom. That's the perfect neighborhood, though.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 05:25 PM

I think dividing time between north and south makes great sense! we did that and did not regret it at all.

If you have to choose one, I would choose the north since you are going in the summer. North is much more lush and pretty.

I can't do without A/C but many people do fine without. So it depends on your preferences.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 05:46 PM

We've been visiting Hawaii for decades, staying two to four weeks on each of the four major islands. We go to escape Chicagoland winter.

The thing about 'the Trade Winds will cool you' is that they are not 100% constant. When they die -- and they DO -- you feel the humidity with a vengeance. We have never gone a year where we have NOT used A/C at least a night or two in a bedroom to wring out the 'wet'. Also beware 'lofts' and top floor units. If the ad says you can watch the sun set from the lanai, remember that the unit is facing west and will start heating up at noon. (You can step outside to watch the sun set for, what, 30 minutes? Then return to a cool condo!)
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 06:56 PM

I like the idea of splitting your time between north and south. Then you can experience the unique sights, geography and beaches of each. Yes, it's possible to drive between the two in about an hour or so if there is no traffic. However there often are traffic jams in parts and this can lengthen the drive time and cause frustration and frayed nerves. For one of the most stunningly beautiful experiences of a lifetime, take the helicopter tour. The most scenically spectacular areas of the island can only be viewed by air. It is expensive but worth every penny.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 07:22 PM

Very few condos/rentals on the north shore of Kauai have a/c. There are a few units with a/c at Pu'u Poa and all the units at Hanalei Bay Resort have a/c.

The north shore won't be all the much cooler in the summer. Maybe two or three degrees on average. 84/86 during the day and 70/72 at night.

The most attractive beaches with summer snorkeling on Kauai are on the north shore.

We have stayed in Hanalei in June, July and August several times and have never stayed in a house with a/c and we've lived to tell the tale. LOL.

Without a/c, orientation to the trade winds and ceiling fans are essential, as is a large, covered outdoor lanai. Our favorite rentals in Hanalei have large lanais for outdoor living and face east/southeast, which is where the trades come from. We've never been in Hanalei or elsewhere on the north shore when the winds have died. It did happen to us once on Maui. We were in a condo off the beach with no flow-through, a tiny lanai and no a/c and it was uncomfortable for two nights out of seven.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 09:54 AM

I've rented the same condo twice at Pu'u Poa. http://www.kauaidreamer.com/ It's a great unit with excellent sunset and mountain views - perfect for cocktails on the lanai. There was no a/c in the unit, and it could get pretty toasty in the glass sunroom in the front, but sleeping was okay given the fans that were available to us. Pu'u Poa is also right above a great little beach for snorkeling - it's usually not really crowded there at all. Also like that you can walk to the St Regis for cocktails/drinks from the condo. I would also recommend splitting your time between the north and south shore.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 10:33 AM

@FaceInTheCrowd, do you know if there is a pathway from your rental out to the beach? I am familiar with that culdesac, as we park there and walk to Tunnels along the highway in less than 5 minutes.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. With the help of your comments and recommendations, we are spending a week at Hanalei Bay Resort (a/c was important), and a couple days down in the Poipu area. Any recommendations on the best beaches/snorkeling areas, best hikes, best boat/raft/kayak trips (and where they depart from) would be appreciated. Of course, we can't do everything budget-wise, so if there are one or two must do's on the expensive stuff... Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 11:28 AM

You will probably think long and hard about spending the money for a Helicopter tour (about $700-900 for four) but this is a once in a lifetime chance to see some of the most amazing scenery in the world. Have the girls save up because it's worth it as a family experience... most tours also give you a video as part of the trip for later viewing...
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 03:33 PM

Yes, there is wekewoody, at least from that particular house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppkbG_Wzfg8.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 06:38 PM

Best snorkeling beaches on the north shore are Tunnels and Ke'e, at the end of the road in the northwest corner. Go early, because as alluded to by wekewoody, parking is a pain.

Whether from a helicopter or boat you should see the Na Pali coast. If you balk at the price of the helicopter, take a boat leaving from Hanalei. Morning departures are best. We've gone with Na Pali Catamaran and enjoyed, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over others.

Lots of hikes... Kalalau Trail is very popular, leaving from Ke'e Beach. Couple in Kokee and Waimea State Park that you'd enjoy too. Then there's the Maha'ulepu coastal trail east of Poipu.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 07:48 PM

Snorkeling at Poipu Park is fun. Waimea canyon is gorgeous to see. Kalapaki beach by the Marriott in Lihue is excellent for swimming and boogie boarding and the Dukes restaurant there is great. Keokis Paradise restaurant in Poipu is very fun. Kokee State Park is spectacular for hiking.