Kauai - Hanalei Colony Resort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:13 PM
NHC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai - Hanalei Colony Resort

Hi,

I've done a search on this site re: Hanalei Colony Resort and have seen such differing opinions! So, I'd like to hear from those who have actually stayed there: what did you think of the place? was it comfortable? quiet? full of kids? how was the pool and jacuzzi?was the front desk helpful? what was the condition of the unit? does it provide an atmosphere for relaxation and romance? I'm fine with low-key and quiet. We don't need luxury, but I don't want to stay somewhere run-down (it's my honeymoon). I'd like comfort and relaxation. We have an ocean front room. By the way, those who have stayed there recently: they mentioned there's some sort of informal cafe on the premises with coffee, pastries, etc. What was the selection like?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:38 PM

One thing to remember about HCR is its remote loaction. It's a good 15 minutes past Hanalei on a very windy, narrow road. There are NO restaurantsw past Hanalei. Restaurants come and go at HCR but none stays in business very long; curently they only have the little coffee bar avaiable. There is a luau once a week on the grounds.

No phones, no TVs. Rooms are modest and yes, they are oceanfront. This is definitely a "getting away from it all" type place--no glitz, just scenery and serenity.

Personally, I would not want to stay up in Haena on a vacation, too much driving. But if you are just looking to vegetate on the beach and bask innature, then this may be your spot.

Can rain a TON up there, so be cautioned.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 11:55 PM

It has been awhile (4 or so years)since I've stayed there so take this with a grain of salt . . .

One reason I stayed there was because of the glowing Fodor's description. I don't think it lived up to this. I agree that Hanalei Colony is pretty remote. It is a drive to get to the grocery store. The resort is very low key and comfortable - nothing fancy at all, in fact, I thought it was pretty run down. Maybe they have renovated since. Big rooms and the resort is ocean front though our room was not. The beach was beautiful but rocky - not great for swimming. If I remember, the pool is very small and tucked away in a corner of the resort.

Can you afford Hanalei Bay Resort? This resort (And some timeshares?) is right near the Princeville with the greatest outdoor bar and a great meandering pool. We went there quite a number of sundowns for the view (except when we did the luau at the Princeville which I recommend - kitchy but fun and done poolside there). Especially for a honeymoon, I'd consider something a little more grand than Hanalei Colony.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:18 AM
iceeu2

NHC - check out summitpacific.com
This is a condo at Hanalei Bay Resort that is not a timeshare but is owned outright and rented. I got really good testimonials from previous renters.

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:19 AM

I have stayed at Hanalei Colony Resort twice, in 1996 and 98. We absolutely loved it. It was extremely well-kept when we were there. It was very comfortable and clean. All the furniture was in excellent condition, and kitchen was well-equipped. They have a well-stocked storage area you can go to during the day to get additional utensils, towels, etc. It was very quiet. We were there in the fall both times, and there were a few children, but it had a very un-crowded feel. The pool is probably 25 by 50, a simple rectangle. The hot tub is next to the pool under roof. The self-serve laundry area is next to the pool. This area is locked and guests have a key. We had few requests of the front desk, but they were helpful. The atmosphere is definitely relaxing. We feel the location is very relaxing and romantic, being beachfront so you can see the sunrise and moonrise and walk on the beach any time. We saw only a few other people on the beach at any time. This a great location from which to explore Na Pali trail, Ke'e beach (go as soon as the sun is up and you may be the only person there), Tunnels, Ha'ena, Limahuli Garden, Hanalei. (It's a long drive from here to Koke'e though.) HCR is not posh or prententious, but if you are looking for low-key relaxation, I think it will be wonderful. I don't think you can get any closer to the water, anywhere in Hawai'i, than the oceanfront units.

Since i haven't been there for a few years, I can't comment on current maintenance of HCR, but if you have other questions about location or aspects that will not have changed, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Incidentally, I think the luau Vivi mentioned may be defunct for now--I've read that Tahiti Nui luau is not operating now. Vivi, can you let us know if there is another luau there now?
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Yea, the Tahiti Nui luau that used to be at their restaurant in Hanalei was moved to Hanalei Colony Resort after they turned the luau room in Hanalei into a gift shop. And I guess I am not surprised to hear it's defunct at HCR already. Too bad, their luaus were a hoot, I have been to many of their funky parties and it was always an adventure.

I think it is very hard to offer restaurant/entertainment services at HCR because of its location.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Kal

Aloohaaa,
As of 11-2002 Tahiti Nui was still open and being run by the Marston family.

Friends of ours went over in Oct. '02 and stayed at the HCR and went to their luau and really enjoyed it. It was held at the old "Charo's-Surt's-Charo's" restaurant site. ;-)

I sent them an e-mail before the last trip <[email protected]>)(?) since I heard they were closed on this site.
Their remark was somewhat like Mark Twain's when he heard about his obit being printed.
But then again, I could be wrong?
Kal
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 07:52 AM
NHC
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies.
I did realize that I made one error in my description. We do not have an ocean front unit, we have an ocean view unit (I think we will be in either unit B, D, or E). All that being said, I think that we're going to go for it. The beach there sounds just wonderful. Still, if anyone else wants to post further opinions (good or bad), I'm all ears!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 07:01 AM

I can't help but agree with Aloha on her description of the HCR. My husband and I stayed there for 3 days in November and didn't want to leave. We had a wonderful room and were greeted by the most beautiful sunrises imaginable every morning. It was very low key and close to some great beaches. The drive to town for groceries/breakfast was 15 minutes at the most. We also stayed at the Hyatt on the south side and actually preferred the HCR on the North Shore for its ambiance.