Kauai...convertible or SUV?

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai...convertible or SUV?

Hi there-

I came across a good deal for a rental car in Kauai through Alamo. Using rate code 6T, I was able to get the following for a 4 day rate (including taxes):

Convertible: $132.17
SUV: $147.21

I couldn't decide which one to get, so I booked them both. For those of you that have been to Kauai, which on would be better? Note: As a bit of a background, we are also staying in Honolulu and Maui before we get to Kauai, and I have arranged to get a covertible for both stops (again using the Alamo rate code 6T)

So Kauai experts...what do you think?

Lynne
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Definitely a convertible!! So much to see with the top down, no obstructions of your view. We didn't find anywhere we'd need an suv.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:31 AM

They are both fine choices, some say that a 4WD is required to access some hiking trails, but I did not need one to get to the Napali coast trail or Waimea Canyon, check guidebook "The Ultimate Guide to Kauai" for where a 4WD is indicated. The only area I might want 4WD is if I choose to go to Barking Sands beach after a heavy rain, otherwise we have been fine with front wheel drive in a convertible, luxury, or 4WD-SUV on Kauai. If you still can't decide between the two, check under the floormats and take the one with less critters
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Definitely convertible. The scenery is awesome and you can really appreciate it with a convert.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 11:02 AM

I live on Kauai and would not enjoy owning a convertible here. They are too small plus there is lots of rain. For me, a SUV or van is preferable.

But of course for a vacationers, a convertible might be fun. If it's just 2 people and you are convertible-lovers, then get it! You can use the back seat for all your luggage that won't fit in the truck.
(You would not believe how many times I have seen 4 people crammed into a convertible at the airport with luggage lashed across the truck and piled on their laps!)

There are only a few roads on Kauai that require 4-WD and they are way off the typical tourist beaten path.

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM
gyppielou

Thanks for the code, helped me save about $50! Many Mahalos!!! worked for the week before christmas in kauai, but no better for christmas in maui...oh well...hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:55 PM
jor

Get both, then get rid of the one you don't like. Everybody does it.