SUV/4 wheel drive in Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait!! Leaving Friday for 9 days in Kauai...I'm not much of a hiker, so am considering upgrading from an economy car to an SUV (adding an extra $200.00 to the car total). I have to make a decision quickly, as we had booked our flight and car through SunTrips, and they called a couple of days ago and told us that RyanAir had changed the departure date, and extended the trip 2 more days!! We are lucky that we were able to change our plans, but now am feeling the $ pinch from the added stuff. SO-I'm over my frustrations with SunTrips, but am still on the fence about type of car. We love to get into the car and just explore, but I'm not able to go far on foot (less than a mile). Worth it to upgrade? Any other ideas? Rooster repellent? Learn to BBQ mosquitos?
Mahalo-
Jeanne
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:52 AM

I didn't find the need for an SUV. We rented a compact for 7 days, and it worked just fine, plus consider the gas prices vis-a-vis the MPG.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:13 AM

Jeanne,

You won't need 4WD unless you are thinking of doing the backroads at Koke'e.

Don't worry about the skeeters or the roosters. It's the RAIN, boredom and lousy restaurants you should be worrying about!

Have a great trip.

-Bill
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:28 AM
Kal

> BILLY

My attorney is still working on a legal disclaimer for "The K9s" so concerned others won't feel the need to warn people about "unchecked cliques gone wild".

t'2410,
Agree with B'man. But if you do get a 4WD, be respectful of the island, 'kay?
>-

56 mo', baby!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

"doing the backroads at Koke'e"
What/where's that?

"be respectful of the island"
Always. With us, it goes without saying...but others need to be reminded, so thank you.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
lvk

Just FYI --You might want to check out the latest Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine. The cover article is about the top 25 things to do in Kauai.

I guess even ol' Kal-huna couldn't shut up the folks over there at Frommer's ~gt;

(Oops, was that too cliquish?) Still trying to figure out if I'm part of the "clique" or just a "groupie"

:-\

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Kal

tum,
You're a 1st time poster so how do we know? :-?

lvk,
LEMME ATTUM!!!!!!!!! Wadda 'bout a "cliqkie"
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM

lvk,

I think she considered you a groupie, but I think you are a true K9 Klubber.

Kal,

I'm in a "fanning the flames" sort of mood today. You too?

Did you hear about gyppie and me? She made the announcement this morning.

-Bill
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM

jeanne,

Koke'e is the State Park that encompasses Waimea Canyon. There are some really steep, dirt roads that you would need a 4WD for.

-Bill
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM

t-2410

I'm always a sucker for a convertable in Kauai, "so's I can shower while I commute in search of surf and sun." Since tourists should NEVER try to drive on Polihale Beach, we just take the approach real slow to avoid any sinkholes and park down the hill from Queens bath or by the facilities.

Kal,"unchecked cliques gone wild"? Does this mean I have to get really drunk and then flash my rental contract?!

iamq, you you you, you dawg you!

BE RESPECTFUL of the island:

Don't trespass.
Dont litter.
No road rage, let locals pass.
Don't walk on water/coral!!!
Don't talk on cell phones in public.
Tip your bartenders and waitresses, and pool girl and valet boy and housekeeping and room service and concierge and helicopter pilot, and wrangler, and kayak tourguide, and maitre'd, and barback and dishwasher, and maintenance man and and and...

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Kal

ALRIGHT YOU GUYS!!!! Behave!!!

Does renting a 4WD really save you that much time up at Kokee?

I'd love to rent an ATV for Barking Sands/Polihale...but then I lay down and let the feeling pass.

G'lou..."flash your rental contract"!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:34 PM

Next time we are going to get a rent-a-wreck so we can look more like locals.

Locals? Yeah, right. Two haole queens zipping around in a beat up Toyota won't look suspicious at all!

Alohhhhhhha

-Bill
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Kal

Billy,
You'd fit in just fine...in fact you could be mistaken for our 2nd fave Kauaian bartender and his SO.

Thinking about what G'lou said, I'd rather upgrade from econo to convertible v. a SUV/4wd any day...but not for her specific reasons.

Convertible at night....Top down driving back from Hanalei or from the Westend, KKCR on the radio and looking up and seeing the sky on fire!

Have a great trip. Looks like long range forecast will show you a good time. Let us know how it comes out.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
iceeu2

You boyses and girlses better straighten up or I'm calling the K9 poeleece!

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:03 AM

There is no need for a SUV on Kauai. If you want to upgrade your car then I recommend a convertible or a jeep. Driving with the top down is a lot of fun especially if you come from a cold climate. The convertible is nice because you can hit a button and put up the top while with the jeep it is a pain to manually put the top on. Something to be aware of if you hit one of the brief showers. In any case if you stick with your economy car you'll be fine and you'll probably save $$$ on gas.

Alan
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:02 AM

If you rent a convertible, don't do what we (I) did. We (I) locked the keys in the trunk. On the Sebring there is no way to pop the truck without the keys! Thrifty had to send someone up from Lihue with an extra key in a cab. It cost $90. Yikes.

Kal,

Ah, that is good to know.

I2,

It is so wonderful to finally hear from you.

-Bill
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
Kal

I heard a blonde locked her keys in the car once and told AAA to hurry because the top was down and it looked like a rain storm was coming:-"
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:46 PM

Icee

If you're makin the call you best call the Po'ipulice as they have been trained properly in handling the K9.

Cuz we all now know, not everyone can handle the K9's!

Kal, you messing with my born-now- bottled blondness?! Now where'd I leave that rental contract.....goin' clubbing and need something to flash!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM

Happy Trails t2410!!! Don't forget your umbrella!!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:01 PM

If you get a gold Expedition from Hertz...look out for roaches! No K9 line either, there were a couple of little fellows in it two weeks ago, probably full fledged big boys by now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -