Search

Kauai Activity Suggestions Needed!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai Activity Suggestions Needed!

Hi!

I am going with a friend to Kauai and am in need of suggestions for activities to do on the island.

We are:
- 26 years old females
- Staying for 10 days in Poipu at a condo rental (not a hotel)
- Very active
- I have been to Kauai with my family twice and my friend has been once (but only for a day, off a cruise ship)

Looking for suggestions on:
- Where to go for a surf lesson
- Which boat tour of the Napalei coast is the best (I have gone on Captain Andy's in 2009...remember loving it, but wondering if there are others?)
- A place to go for another "adventure" day - kayaking, hiking or something along those lines
- A place (not in a hotel chain! looking for somewhere more local...in Lihue is fine) to go for massages
- Any other "must see" things to do in Kauai...we are definitely going for a lot of relaxation with a few days of fun thrown in

Thanks in advance!
Allie
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we are going at the end of August this year...not sure if that makes a difference or not, but just in case!
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 11:56 AM

I've done both Captain Andy's and Holo Holo and liked them both very much, good crews, good boats and good food. Once we went on the Holo Holo trip that included Niihau but that was a long day and the ride back across the channel was a bit rough (They go at top speed).
Lots of folks like to hike the first two miles of the Kalalau trail but you need to get up to Ke'e Beach EARLY to get a good parking spot. Otherwise there are lots of hiking trails up at Waimea Canyon and Koke'e State Park. Be sure and visit the lookouts at Koke'e.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 03:18 AM

If you like to hike, the Canyon Hike on the road up to the Waimea Canyon overlook (spectacular as long as it's not foggy) is excellent. We got the recommendation from songdoc, who spends A LOT of time on Kauai.
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM

Surf could be pretty flat in August
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 11:39 AM

I think the best look out at Waimea/Koke'e is the very last parking lot at the end of the road. The views of the Kalalau Valley from the Pu'u o Kila Lookout IMHO are breathtaking. You can also pick up the Pihea Trail here that literally skirts edge of the Valley. Nice trail. We are going on Monday, weather permitting.

For the real lomi lomi massage experience try Auntie Angeline's in Anahola. This is NOT the Anara Spa at the Hyatt.

Be sure to plan some time walking along Hanalei Bay.

In August, Hanalei Bay ought to be as flat as a lake. You could learn to paddle board on the Bay or up the Hanalei River.
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM

And ... walk at Maha'ulepu Beach. Soooo beautiful and very different from the other Kauai beaches. Just pass the Grand Hyatt and continue on the pot-holed road to the end.