cruises, etc. any information or any experiences would be helpful. Last but not
least good dining places with a good sunset
view. General information also on how the
trip went, how well you liked the island
and after everything is said and done would
you go back. Thanks!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM

Aloha grasshut,

You've got great questions, all of which you will find numerous answers to if you so a search on this sight for the specific info you're looking for... "hiking waimea canyon"... "napali catamaran trips"... etc. Also, search for Kauai trip reports to find overall reviews.

You'll be reading into the wee hours... I personally LOVE (hate) Kauai, for all the lush landscape, waterfalls, rainbows (rain) and relaxed (nothing to do, no nightlife) island style.

The researching and planning is half the fun. Enjoy!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM

"do a search"... sorry.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM

Hi grass,

Here is my trip report from last year. It may provide some info for you.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34513767

We did not hike Waimea Canyon last year, but did the year before. We found the "Kaua`i Revealed" book to be very helpful in picking which trails to hike there.

We are also going in July. Hanalei for two weeks! Yippee!

97 more until

-Bill
Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:49 PM

Hi Grass hut - You'll love Kauai - it is my personal favorite out of all the islands due to the fabulous hiking. We have hiked a few of the trails in Waimea Canyon and they were great but I don't remember the names but as another poster said, "Kauai revealed" is a good book. Also, are you planning to also hike the Napali coast trails? The day hike from Kee beach to the first beach and then up to the waterfall is an absolute must do in my mind - even above the Waimea Canyon. It's best to start fairly early because the parking at Kee beach can get rough due to beach goers and snorkeling and the hike can take a good portion of the day if you go up to the waterfall and spend time swimming under the falls which is so fun. My husband proposed to me at the waterfalls! I even took my mom on this hike one year (and she is not a big hiker) but she loved it although we came back with lots of red mud all over us (the trail can be slippery since it hugs the fairly steep coast line so wear shoes with good traction but that you don't care if they get muddy). The views are so incredible. Another thing we loved even more than the boat cruises was the helicopter trip. We used a company called inter-island that has room for two people only in the back with no doors (a hughes helicopter). Anyway, it was fabulous if you aren't afraid of heights! As far as general information, you'll read all sorts of opinions about north vs south shore but we love the North shore the best (even though it is more rainy) because the mountains are so beautiful and we like the low key nature of the town of Hanalei. Postcards is a great little restaurant if you don't mind vegetarian (my husband thought he would hate it but ended up wanting to go there twice). Sunsets are beautiful from the balcony of the Princeville resort, especially with a good drink in your hand! I'm ready to book a trip just thinking about it!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
iceeu2

Oh my grasshut, you are going to be so blown away by Kauai.

I guess for sunset view dining places, The Beach House has the best for viewing and dining. It gets pretty mixed reviews tho.

And would we go back to the Island? Guess so, since in 22 more days we are going to do our dead level best to aid Kal with his research.

By all means, get the Ultimate Kauai guidebook. It is great.

Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:38 PM

Beach House is the best restaurant for sunset views. I do not know about the mixed reviews, as I have always had great service there and great food. There is no other restaurant on the island with as good a view of the sunset in my opinion and I have been to most.
Apr 24th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Just returned from Kauai-LOVED it WE will definitely go back. Saw sunset from Beach House restaurant which was very nice- also watched sunset from Sheraton- had a drink listened to music around 5-6 pm Saturday and SUnday night at the Point. For hiking I would recommend the book quot;KAUAI TRAILBLAZER" BY jEFFERY & JANINE SPROUT- very thorough hiking guide - trailhead maps, trailhead introductons, detailed listing of all trailheads and a "best of" section listing hikes for "mountain vistas, birdwatcher hikes, falls, short hikes to big views... Very helpful.
Apr 24th, 2005, 09:41 AM

We loved Kauai and will definitely go back (after we've visited the other islands). Unlike some we loved the passing showers, so many rainbows and waterfalls we lost count!

Buy the Ultimate Kauai guidebook, it will give you good pointers as far as tours, restaurants, lodging etc. For tours I would recommend Napali Catamarans and Kipu Ranch ATV's.

We stayed on the north shore and really enjoyed the sunset view from Bali Hai restaurant (so-so food, great lava flows, spectacular view) and Cafe Hanalei (better food, great view also).
Apr 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Yes, I go back as often as 3 times a year. Once in awhile we'll stop in Honolulu for 2-3 days before going over. Going again in June and September.

Just got back on Thursday. The Bali Hi Restauraunt in the Haneli Bay Resort, in Princeville, was outstanding. From the fish thru the beef and the beautiful sunset everything was wonderful.

Went tro Waiamea Canyon and saw some moutain goats and wonderful vwies. Make sure you stop at the Kauai Coffee Vistors center on your way to or from. Many things to do and to see.

I recommend the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. I use it everytime we go to find the small out of the way beaches and their food section is pretty reliable.
Apr 25th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Do a search on my name for a trip report on Kauai. I hiked both the Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls and the Pihea Trail in Waimea Canyon. Both were very cool and had totally different sorts of views.

NorCal_Jo is talking about the Kalalau Trail near Kee Beach and that hike IS fantastic and not to be missed in my book. I enjoyed that one the most even though I did not hike all the way to the waterfall.

Good luck!