Search

kauai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kauai

I'm trying to plan a honeymoon to Hawaii in Sept 04, I think I have decided on the island of Kauai. I have an RCI membership, I want to be able to walk out of our condo and go snorkling and also be close to some beach restaurants. Anyone been to a RCI resort that would be be good for our honeymoon?
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:36 PM
bquarre

Not familiar with RCI. Can you name a few places that are on their list?

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 08:12 PM

I highly suggest Lawai Beach Resort in Poipu area. Actually, located on the same road as the Spouting Horn. This resort has 3 buildings, 3 pool areas, mini golf, activity desk, nice grounds. It is directly across the road from the Beach House restaurant, one of the nicest on the island. Also directly across the street from one of the best beaches for snorkling on the south shore. Check their website lawaibeach.org. They have one and two bedroom units, with all of the condo amenities. It is RCI Gold Crown. Other restaurants are also nearby. I think you would like it.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

are there any RCI resorts ON the beach that has good snorkling? Some of the names are (pardon the spelling) Pono Kai, Pahio at Ka'Eo Kai, Maui Lea at Maui HIll, Alii Kai, Pahio at Bali hai villas, Pahio at shearwater, Pahio at Kauai Beach villas, Embassy vacation resort Poipu point, lawai or RWVC. RWVC sounds pretty good but I would like to know what your experience is. I have never been to Hawaii! :0
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 11:20 AM

The Lawai Beach Resort is the only one that is ON a good snorkeling beach (although it is small and rocky). Alii Kai and the Pahios at Ka'Eo Kai, Bali Hai Villas, and Shearwater, are all up on the bluffs in Princeville and are not on a beach, although there are some nice beaches not far away. The condos at Shearwater are especially nice. Pono Kai, Pahio at Kauai Beach Villas, and RWVC are all on the east shore. Pono Kai is on a beach that is not good for swimming or snorkeling, and I think the others are as well. Pretty much the only good snorkeling on the east shore is at Lydgate State Park.
The Embassy in Poipu is a nice resort, but it's not on a beach. You could walk to Poipu Beach which has excellent swimming and good snorkeling, but it's not that close - you'd probably want to drive.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 01:10 PM

The Embassy is the nicest place of the ones you listed but you cannot swim at the beach there. It is the only RCI you listed that I would call a real resort. Easy, short walk to the fabulous Hyatt for dining and sunset cocktails and slight nightlife.

Pono Kai not special enough for a honeymoon, in my opinion.

Lawai Beach Resort is has nice views from most units and is across from very tiny snorkeling beach and one good restaurant nearby (the Beach House.)

All the ones you mentioned on the north shore are in a large residential neighborhood on the bluffs. Long walk down to the beach. Some of the Pahio Bali Hai units have fabulous views. There are several dining options within a short distance (P-Ville Hotel and HBR), the town of Hanalei is about 10 minutes by car.

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 01:48 PM

babbsgirl,
One our fellow travelers on this site sent this to me a couple of months ago and I think you will really like it for what you want. Have fun...my wife and I have been going to Hawaii every Thanksgiving for the past 10 years and this year we are going to Kauai . We are staying at Whalers Cove but really check out this site.

http://wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Hey gal, any chance you are asociated with the Military? If so, the only place to go is the resort at Barking Sands....What a deal !!!
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 06:56 AM

I have a military association but don't know about the resort at Barking Sands. Do you have any details?