Search

Kapalua or Wailea?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kapalua or Wailea?

Hi all....planning an impromptu Maui visit in early November and need a bit of help choosing a resort.

So far we have the Westin Maui reserved for half of our stay, to be near Kaanapali area and Lahaina.

We are now trying to decide which Renaissance resort to choose for the rest of our visit - Kapalua or Wailea? At first glance, we were leaning toward Kapalua..reading about how much lusher and greener the area is than Wailea.

After reading many of the posts on this site,however; I am wondering if Wailea is not a better choice...weather wise in November and also beach wise in general. Also reading that Kapalua area is pretty remote.

We like nice beaches, and want to be accessible to dining and shopping. We will have a car the entire stay. However, since we are staying in Kaanapali for half the stay - do you recommend Wailea or Kapalua for the remainder?

Will the weather be a signifcant factor in Kapalua in November? And is the beach significantly larger/nicer in Wailea?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Kaanapali and Kapalua are pretty close to each other. Wailea is about 30-40 minutes from Kaanapali.

After your stay in Kaanapali, I would stay in Wailea and check out the south side beaches. Good way to see both sides of the island and minimize driving.

We usually pick just one location when we visit Maui but have never visited for more than 10 days.

You don't say how long you are visiting. If you have 2 weeks, I would visit Kauai the second week.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Hi Elizabeth,

OUr trip report may be of interest to you:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34468430

We GREATLY enjoyed it. Please feel free to ask any questions, I'll check back to see if you do.

Tiff
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:36 PM

We just came back from a stay in Kapalua. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:23 PM

I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is "do I mind packing and repacking for each move?". Do you realize that you are going to waste at least 4-5 hours on your moving day b/c Check out is 10 am and check in is at 4 pm - all of your luggage is either sitting in a car or w/ the bellhop during that time. You may want to just drive to the other beaches and areas and save your time.
We speak from experience b/c we just returned from Maui and stayed 3 nights in Wailea at the Wailea Renaissance and 3 nights in Kapalua at the Kapalua Bay Hotel (just to compare 2 different hotels and locations). Both were beautiful properties w/ good service - near to restaurants and shops. Having stayed in all 3 areas (Kanaapali on our last trip) - I still like Kanaapali for its centralized location - good snorkeling at Black Rock and easy access to restaurants and shops. (It did rain more in Kapalua than in Wailea - every afternoon). Have fun making your decisions. (By the way, we did the same thing on Kauai - 3 nights North Shore at the Princeville and 7 nights in Lihue at the Marriott).
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Eliz,

I was there in April for 7 days and stayed in Kannapali and Wailea. Stayed at the Hyatt in Kannapali. In Wailea, stayed at the Renaissance. Absolutely loved Wailea.

I'm from the ATL area and driving means nothing to me. It was a beautiful and nice drive everywhere I went on the island.

Never had a problem with check-in, regardless of the time. Early or late. My room was always ready. I'm, sure that has a lot to do with the season you travel in. I expect November will not be a problem.

Packing and unpacking, not an issue for me. I never fully unpack. I hang items and never use hotel drawers. So no big deal.

I suggest you split your stay between Kapalua and Wailea. I think they will be two different experiences.

Either way, enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your very helpful information...decided to split my stay between the Westin Maui and the Renaissance Kapalua...got the best rates to stay at these two hotels. And both look beautiful!

I actually don't mind changing hotels during a trip, I get to stay in two lovely hotels and get two different experiences during my stay.

I will be sure to trip a trip report when I get home..IF I come home at all!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 12:05 PM

I believe these hotels are very close to each other.

Anybody?

The Westin is in Kannapali and the Renaissance (used to be something else) is about 10-15 minutes away.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Or did you mean Renaissance Wailea?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

No, actually we decided on the Westin Maui and the Renaissance in Kapalua.

The person I am traveling with could get really good rates on these two hotels, but not the Renaissance in Wailea.

So, we decided to go with these two and save our cash for restaurants and excursions. Even though they are close to one another, I couldn't pass up the great rates!

Dolciani, thanks for the info, but we should be fine with packing up and changing hotels once during the trip. We have done so many, many times before and pretty much have packing and relocating down to a science!! We are usually lucky getting early check ins or just drop of our stuff, take our bag of pre-packed necessities, and head off for the day. No biggie!!

I will miss out staying in Wailea, but we will make sure we spend a day or two at the beaches in that area too...

Thanks everyone for your input!!