Search

Kansas in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kansas in August

Travelling from Canada to Kansas City Aug 1 - Aug 7th...any suggestions for places to see activitis, concerts, festivals etc would be welcome. The best places Nightlife....dining etc?? We are 2 females early 40's.....can't wait to hear some good Jazz!!

"T"
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Kansas City, Kansas? Or Kansas City, MO?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Tmontauk is being unnecessarily peavish. Even if it is KCK, you're splitting hairs.

Hopefully you are staying somewhere near the Plaza, or that you have access to transportation that can take you to the Plaza. There you will find the highest concentration of dining and nightlife in the metro area. If high end shopping is your thing, your interests would be covered there as well.

Lots of museums, and a brand new addition to the Kemper Art Museum has just opened.

Hopefully someone else can give you information on the jazz venues.

It will be hot, so pack accordingly. Everything has A/C, though.

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:50 PM

I wasn't trying to be peevish -- I noticed the travler was not from the US and I asked b/c recently I saw a posting for someone asking about flying into ST Louis and then asking how far away the Nelson Adtkins Art Museum was.

Now I know STL to KC is much further away -- but I was just asking b/c I know when you are trying to plan via the internet to a place you don't know it gets confusing.

I think this was one of those tone lost via the internet thing ...
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Unless we are talking to locals, when we say Kansas City, we usually mean the entire metro area.

Kansas City, Kansas & Kansas City, Missouri are adjacent to each other. The metro area includes Independence, Missouri, Overland Park & Olathe, Kansas and many other communities.

taz0038, if you like art, music and wine, you will want to visit the Crossroads District on Friday night, http://kansascity.about.com/od/thear...irstFriday.htm

There are lots of venues for jazz. My favorite is the The Blue Room at 18th & Vine. It has good music and a nice mix of people. http://www.americanjazzmuseum.com/?p...action=display

Because it is attached to the American Jazz Museum, there is no smoking.

Keith
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM

My favorite way to spend a Saturday afternoon is going to Harling's Upstairs. Mama Ray with The Rich Van Sant Band plays and there are often guest artists. The music is mixed mostly jazz and blues. There is always a real mix of local characters. The bar doesn't serve food so people bring in their own. This is upstairs, so if you go, look up. You'll hear the music.

Saturdays (2-6pm)
3941 Main, this is in Westport.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Kansas City is a lot of fun to hang out in. In the Plaza area, there are numerous restaurants and bars to choose from. My favorites to eat at inlclude the newly opened Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ (3 locations around town); Reverse, Mi Cocina or California Kitchen. The most entertaining bar there for me is O'Dowds. The Westport area, just north of the Plaza, has a lot more nightlife but it is largely a younger crowd, but wide range of bars and clubs. Another fun area is the River Market area - just north of downtown for bars and restaurants, plus a great City Market to walk around on Saturday mornings.I'm not a big jazz fan myself, so I can't offer any great advice there, although there are quite a few to choose from downtown and in the River Market area. There are a couple of concerts going on around town during your stay, but don't know if it is your taste. Snow Patrol is performing Aug. 2 at the Uptown and Modest Mouse is performing Aug. 3 in the River Market. If you want to provide more specifics about your likes, I'd be happy to try and provide more specific suggestions.