Kaanapali or Wailea - Maui

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:38 PM
noonit

Kaanapali or Wailea - Maui

Hi there,

I've read and searched on a bunch of the posts for these areas. The problem is I am haveing a hard time making a decision! We are honeymooning in Maui for a week in early Oct 2002. I know we'll want some relaxation and quiet, but we're also going to want to go out at night and have a few drinks or hear some music. Not so much a 'club' atmosphere, but a fun time none the less. We'll be taking a bunch of the recommended trips/sights etc, and we'll be spending time by the pool/beach. Fiance probably will golf at least once or twice. Looking for a room comparable to marriott/embassy suites (in terms of quality) in the states. Also would love a nice bathroom (separate bathtub type). Hopefully someone has an idea of where we should seriously consider and can offer a thought or two. Love the thought of the Kea Lani (but also the pools of the westin), but worried that we might be a little too 'bored' in Wailea or find it too active and touristy in Kaanapali - how do we make the decision? How far is the drive between the two?

Thanks, sorry so long!
A

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Ben

Wailea without a doubt. For starters, The Outrigger Wailea has poolside entertainment nightly...singers and hula dancer which you can enjoy whether you are staying there or not. Kaanapali is too touristy while Wailea is a classy area with classy hotels and beautiful scenery. Be sure to take a drive past Makena to see and or snorkel.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Jeff

We are headed back to Maui in 4 weeks! We are going to split our trip between the 2. There are great things to do and see in both areas. 2 coarses to play in Maui are Plantation Coarse (although current rate is $220, unforgetable) in Kapalua and Mekena. For hotels, get Maui Revealed. It is a great reference and has ariel shot of the hotels on its web site.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Melinda

We just got back from Kaanapali and if I were to go again I would definitely stay in Wailea. The atmosphere is so much nicer there. The landscape is much more lush and the accommodations so much nicer. I would choose either the Four Seasons or the Kea Lani.
Kaanapali is so crowded with all of the resorts so close to each other. Also, the resorts are much older and are really starting to show their age (Hyatt, Sheraton...). The Plantation Course is beautiful (in Kapalua). My husband golfed there and loved it. Expensive, but if you stay at the Ritz (absoulutely gorgeous hotel!) you get a discount. The golf courses in Wailea and Makena are equally as beautiful (and about as expensive, but I think you get a discount if you are staying at one of the Wailea resorts).
I don't know about nights out in Wailea. Probably just clubs in the resorts. In Kaanapali you could head to Lahina (still, I don't think there is anyplace there that is worth going for a fun night of dancing, etc), but personally, I think the stay at a beautiful resort in Wailea would outweigh the night out at a club.

Hope this helps!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Z$

Easy choice, hands down Wailea. Why? Because all you need to do it rent a car and the drive to the West side takes about 30-40 minutes. It's much nicer, relaxing and peaceful in Wailea. The drive is not bad at all. Try to avoid "rush hour".

My wife and I went last year for our anniversary and we stayed at the Four Seasons and Kea-Lani. I loved Kea-Lani. Great free breakfast buffet, Huge bathroom with separate shower and bath, it's a suite. You'll have a blast!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Anne

We are going to Maui for our 20th wedding anniversary in late March and we are traveling with our 10 year old daughter.We are also contemplating the Kaanapali area verses the Wailea area and we have never been to Hawaii before.We are not into a lot of adult type night life as we have our daugher with us,but we are into the outdoorsy and adventurous kind of thing.Our daughter is really excited about the water activities,(ocean and pool) and we are looking for accomadations that are both beautiful and fun for kids.We have checked the Four Seasons and Kai Lani in Wailea and they are both full for our dates any othersuggestions on either area of Maui?Thanks !
Anne