Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to drive from Monterey to Yosemite Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 03:04 PM
vic

I have a one week trip . Saturday to Saturday.
Following 3 nights in SF I am planning 2 days in Monterey then 2 days in Yosemite then back to SF. I have a reservation for Yosemite Lodge on the Thursday.
I am trying to decide if I should stay in Monterey 2 nights and drive to Yosemite in the morning or stay 1 night in Monterey and drive to Mariposa at night to be closer.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 03:56 PM
skip

SAN.FRAN.TO YOSEMITE IS 193 MILES,WHICH TAKES ABOUT 4HRS.FROM MONT.TO YOSEMITE SHOULD TAKE LESS TIME,GOING UP THRU MERCED.I HAVE BEEN TO YOSEMITE TWICE AND IT IS A PARADISE. MARIPOSA GROVE IS SPECTACULAR.IF YOU CAN;'' SPEND THE EXTRA TIME THERE.''

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Liz

We did this trip a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure Monterey to Yosemite is a bit longer, more like 5 hours. Be sure to enter the park from the south, through Oakhurst, then your first view of the valley will be coming out of the tunnel. awe-inspiring. I agree with less Monterey, more Yosemite.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 10:28 AM
skip

liz might be more correct. the mileage looks shorter but it might take more time due to roads traveled on. your stay in yosemite will be treasured.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 10:56 AM
rick

When are you going? WE did the same trip in April 3 years ago and were faced with a snowstorm that closed some of the mountain roads. You'll need to take that into consideration.