Reload this Page >

Brief NY trip in Feb. with teen son-

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Penny

I'm thinking about taking my 13-year-old son to New York (from Mass.) for a few days over his winter vacation. The whole family went last April and stayed in Times Square, so I know we'd want to stay right there and I'm not concerned with finding a hotel.

I'm wondering what's good on Broadway now, that we might get half-price tickets for. We lucked out last year and were able to see The Producers while it was still in previews, so our expectations are high. My son really loves musical theater, so my preference would be for a musical, though I myself don't care for Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff. (My husband and I saw Les Mis in previews in London many years ago and must be the only people in the world not to have liked it.) I see that Beauty & the Beast has showed up at the TKTS booth, but what about Lion King? Is it possible to get any seats to that?

Also, beyond the theater, does anyone have any recommendations? Last year we took the NBC Studios tour and went to the Metropolitan.

Thanks!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:47 AM
kate

Metropolitan? Opera or Museum?
How about the Planetarium at the Museum of Natural History, you will both love that! Go to the IMAX theater by Lincoln Center and see one of the films about NY or the Sea..I am sorry,I cannot remember the names
Have lunch/dessert at Serendipity .
There is a gentleman named Howard who will know about tickets to shows, he is a great help..hopefully he will read this and give some advice..I think that Lion King is still booked for months.What are your sons interests? WHat does he think he would like to do?
Have a great time...bundle up!Kate

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:54 AM
klam

We're going to Lion King (YAH!!) in Feb and I had been scouring for tix (at face value or more) since the end of the year, so don't count on seeing LK, unless you want to spend your precious time in the cancellation line up. As for stuff to do, if your kid is into sports, consider the Madison Square Garden backstage access tour...takes you thru the locker rooms of the Knicks and Rangers, as well as down to the courtside. If your kid is more mature or likes "global" stuff, how about the United Nations tour? I found it very interesting. Also Empire State Building and its Skyride. Of course, all kids like FAO Schwartz and there's Times Square's Toys R Us. Have fun.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Chris

How about Chelsea Piers? I have a 13 year old son and we missed it on our last trip, though many told us to check it out. Do the NYers agree?

My 13 year old was blown away by the Virgin Megastore in Times Square, don't know if that is your kid's thing.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Howard

There's an outside chance that you might be able to get midweek tickets for The Lion King. I'd call right now! 800-755-4000.
Other shows for a 13-year-older. There's not too much to choose from.
*Beauty and the Beast--not sure if he's too old for that one!
*42nd Street--It's big and splashy!
*Noises Off--it's not a musical, but it's very, very funny. I think he'd enjoy it. (And so will you!)
Other things to do:
*Definitely the planetarium show at the American Museum of Natural History. In fact, he might enjoy just about everything else in that museum!
*Besides the Virgin Megastore in Times Square, make sure you stop in the new Toys'R Us, also in Times Square.
*Visit the aircraft carrier The Intrepid, along the Hudson River in the 40s.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:10 PM
patty

Off-Broadway, I would suggest the New Victory Theater which currently (through 2/24, but not every day) has "Peter and Wendy", recommended for kids 12 and up. It's an "avant garde" production of the Peter Pan story, produced by Mabou Mines. (And if avant garde puts you off, remember Lion King's Julie Taymor came from that world.) And the New Victory is on W. 42nd, across from the Lion King.

Also off-Broadway is the Complete Works of William Shakespeare - in little over an hour including sonnets if your son might like something like that.

The Museum of the City of New York on Fifth Ave has an exhibit on the changes of the Manhattan skyline from the 19th century to now. I'm planning to see that during my child's winter break.

I don't know if this would help you but if you can make it back to NY on March 12, there's an offer to give children 6-18 a free ticket with every adult ticket purchased - kidsnightonbroadway.com - and the website lists specific shows and the pre-show activities they have. Tickets are now on sale until 2/17 but can only be used on 3/12.

And Chelsea Piers - if your child wants to do active things, it's great. They've got an indoor ice skating rink (which is the best in the summer!), bowling alley, batting cages, golf driving range, rock climbing, outdoor rollerblading/skateboarding area...just no swimming pool.

Have a lot of fun here!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Penny

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies.

Howard and Patty,

I like your suggestions for theater. Do you know if Peter Gallagher is still in Noises Off? Because my son recently played Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls and Gallagher played it in the Broadway revival, it would be fun to see him--we've listened to the G&D CD so much. I'm also interested in the abridged Shakespeare, as well as Peter and Wendy. And thanks for the heads up about Kids Night on Broadway. I might consider postponing our trip till then. Need to look into the finances.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Liz

I saw Aida and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen on Broadway. It didnt get the best reviews from the press, but everyone I know who has seen it, has loved it. I spoke with one of the ushers at the theatre, and she said that every single performance since the show opened has received a standing ovation. That is pretty remarkable.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Kathy

I rarely see it mentioned here but my kids loved Madame Toussard's (sp?) wax museum. I think most 13 year olds would find it interesting, lots of figures from all walks of life, i.e. music, sports, history, politics, entertainment.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Kris

Kathy, I'm interested in the Wax museum. There are 6 of us going to NYC in May, do you know of any special promotions or discounts we can use for reduced admission? I have heard great reviews about the museum and we are all anxious to see it.