Just starting--Wailea vs Lahaina

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just starting--Wailea vs Lahaina

Hi,
First of many questions :0)
Thinking of going to Maui and of staying at the Hyatt in Lahaina for 3 or 4 nights and then for a special treat a couple of nights at the Four Seasons in Wailea.
Was wondering what the differences are between both areas? Does one have better beaches, weather etc?

Is it doable to spend 4 nights in Maui and 4 nights in Kaui?
I would love to see both islands but thinking that may not be enough time.
Thanks
D-
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:23 PM

I like your original plan of spending 4 nights in Kaanapali area and 4 nights in Wailea area. We have done that. That way you can explore the each area for a few hours and still enjoy all the hotels have to offer.

You have mentioned two resort destinations rather the island destinations. When we stayed at 4S we wanted to spend most of our time at the resort and not exploring. A drive to Makena for a few hours or a drive to Paia for a few hours. And then back to the hotel you are paying big bucks to enjoy.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:09 PM

I also vote for splitting your 8 nights evenly between the two Maui resorts. Each of the two areas have unique offerings for visitors and are each heavenly places in their own ways. Splitting 8 nights between two islands would IMO make for a hectic and not so relaxing vacation.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM

We were there in summer of '08 and split 6 nights between Wailea (at the Fairmont) and then the Hyatt in Lahaina/Kaanapali. I know that the Fairmont is undergoing renovations now, and in my opinion, the Hyatt needed it much more. So, if I were you, I'd find out if it has been recently remodeled before I stayed there. The rooms were very tired I thought, and that's been almost 3 years ago. We were traveling with teenagers though, and Kaanapali had lots more excitement to offer than Wailea. I agree that if you are paying lots to stay at the Four Seasons, you want to spend most of your time there at the resort. Then you can sitesee when you go to Lahaina. The old town is quaint and fun to walk around. There is a sidewalk that runs along the entire length of the beach, whereas in Wailea, each resort has it's own private section of beach.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I really enjoyed the town of Lahaina. I thought it was really fun to walk around there. Great shops, galleries, restaurants. There's a self-guided historic walking tour you can take.

I wouldn't try to include two islands with only 8 nights.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM

The renovations at the Hyatt were just completed. I stayed there over Thanksgiving and loved it... but I also stayed there prior to the renovations and still thought the resort was great (and did not find my room to be "tired").
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM

beanweb, since you've seen the "before and after", what kinds of changes did they make?
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM

They updated the rooms...replacing carpet, updating fixtures in bathroom, updated linens. I don't think there's a big "wow" between the previous rooms and the renovated rooms...things are just newer and updated. I think the rooms are typical rooms for the Hyatt. I think the real "wow" is in the resort grounds/location themselves.

When I was there in Nov 2010, the Japanese restaurant was closed and under renovation. I've heard it has since re-opened and is reminiscent of a Japanese fishing village.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I really wanted to treat my self to the FS even if it was for (2) nights... :0)
Is there another hotel besides the Hyatt that someone could recommend?
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 11:23 PM

I think your original plan of Hyatt Kaanapali and the Four Seasons Wailea is a good one. The Hyatt has a fun pool, nice beach, luau, restaurants, shopping; the FS is quieter but also has a nice beach. My second choice in Kaanapali would be the Westin Kaanapali (not to be confused with the Westin Ocean Resort Villas) for its closer proximity to Whalers Village shopping & restaurants.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM

IMO, the Hyatt has the most beautiful grounds of all the Kaanapali Hotels so it gives you a feeling of being in a tropical paradise. So if that is the ambiance you are seeking, I would choose the Hyatt. The beach in front of the Hyatt tends to be not as good for swimming as other parts of Kaanapali due to rocks and pebbles. Also the Hyatt is a much longer walk to the shops and restaurants of Whalers Village than some of the other hotels. The best swimming and snorkeling beach in Kaanapali fronts the Sheraton. As mentioned earlier, a good hotel in close walking distance to Whalers Village is the Westin Kaanapali. So your choice of hotel would depend on which of these issues are most important to you.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM

Aloha,
We love the Wailea area and have always stay on the south side of Maui. It will be a fabulous treat to stay at the Four Seasons Resort. We rent a condo when we are there but love to dine at the Four Seasons restaurants. There is a lovely walk from the Four Seasons resort beach that covers a three mile stretch of luxury resorts beaches and paved walking path along the ocean. We were just there in January and spent 17 days split between Kauai and Maui. In my opinion you may want more time to go to both islands because there is so much to see.