Just returned from 40th Anniversary in beautiful KAUAI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick report with the highlights of our five day trip to Kauai. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions here on the forum.
Hotel: Aston Islander On The Beach at Kapa'a. Beautiful hotel, fully equipped, excellant view. Booked thru Expedia, partial oceanview (although it was perfect for us) great rate of $117 a day. Third floor, no elevator but worth it for the view.
Car rental: Made a last minute bid on Priceline and got our full size car for $25 a day from Hertz.
Eats:
Tip Top Cafe- where the locals eat in Lihue. Nothing fancy, just good food at a low price. Loved the macadania nut pancakes with coconut syrup!
Kountry Kitchen- In Kapa'a for good breakfast at great price. Good thick slice Hawaiian sweetbread french toast also with coconut syrup. Ok...so I blew my diet on this trip!
Joe's On the Green- very nice setting on the beautiful golfcourse in Poipu. Excellant food for breakfast or lunch, great service, outside seating....beautiful!
Ono Family Restaurant- Another place where the locals eat. Good food, reasonable price, nothing fancy.
Kilauea Fish Market- Restaurant in Hanalei for fish and chips. Pricey for small portions but outdoor seating nice. Hamburger with NO fries, $12.
Keoki's Paradise in the Po'ipu Shopping Village- Perfect spot for our last meal on the island. Plants everywhere, fish lagoon, thatched roof booths...wish we could have gone there at night to see the torches lit! Good fish and chips, $14.
Entertainment:
Dinner Cruise- booked with Holo-Holo charters for our 3 1/2 hour cruise up to the Na Pali coast. Excellant cruise not to be missed! Good dinner, terrific crew. About $89 each.
Luau- Luau Kalamaku at the beautiful Kilohana Plantation. This is our fourth luau on the islands and this was my favorite. Terrific entertainment and good food...what more could you ask for?
Cocktails at St. Regis Hotel- Located in Princeville, they offer free valet service so we could go have a cocktail at their poolside bar. It was worth the $15 I paid for the Lava Flow just for the beautiful view of Bali Hai and seeing the beautiful lobby of this hotel.
Shops:
Banana Patch Studio- Located in Hanapepe, they sell beautiful hand painted mugs and dishes there as well as items from the Aloha Spice Company and other gift items.
Aunty Lilikoi- Located in Waimea, they sell wonderful meat rubs, spices, mustards, jams, salad dressings....all made there. She packed my items very carefully in a box that would fit in my suitcase (remember...no liquids in you carryon).
Trip highlights:
Waimea Canyon...the Grand Canyon of the Islands...go ALL the way to the end for an amazing view!
Watch for all the wonderful variety of birds (as well as the chickens you will see everywhere). We even spotted an owl on the way back from one of the waterfalls.
Loved the mountains with sleeping giant and king kong and the legends about them.
Don't miss the Kilauea Lighthouse....amazing scenery!
National Botanical Garden visitor center (did not go to the gardens) with its nice gift shop and BEAUTIFUL flowers on the path to it and the clean bathroom there.
Purchased great gifts to bring home from the Wallmart in Lihue as well as the Coconut Marketplace next to our hotel with over 60 shops and places to eat.
LOVED KAUAI! ALOHA! Wendie
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Great report (love the details) -- sounds wonderful! Happy Anniversary.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the report. What a lovely way to spend an anniversary.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Aloha, Wendie. Thanks for a great trip report. Sounds as if that beautiful island is a part of your soul! We'll be there in March and I'm so there already in my mind!
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Great little report - short and to the point, with lots of information. There were a bunch of memories there for me, and also some things to look forward to on "the next visit". Thanks!