Just returned from 10 days on Oahu/Maui!

Sep 19th, 2000, 05:29 PM
Phil

Just returned from 10 days on Oahu/Maui!

Just returned from 10 day honeymoon on Oahu and Maui and willing to answer all questions. Very briefly what we did/saw were:
Stayed at Outrigger Reef on Waikiki Beach, ocean view,ate all all restaurants there. Ate at Duke's Canoe Club, Sunset Dinner Cruise, hiked up Diamondhead, snorkeled at Hanauma Bay, drove around North shore, Pearl Harbor.

Stayed at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas on Maui. Road to Hana, snorkel cruise to Coral Gardens, snorkeled at Black Rock, many trips into Lahaina. Ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise, BJ's Pizza, Moose McGuillacuddies, restaurant at Kaanapali Villas, Whaler's Village ate at Hula Bar. Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer all I am able!

Sep 19th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Al

Hi Phil; hope you had a great time, we are going in oct31-nov7 oahu,nov7-14 hilo & kona, nov14-21 maui. We were wondering how you liked the outrigger reef, we will only have a partial ocean view & what else you did on oahu (with opinions) & maui also with must see stops on road to hana. We will be staying at the marriott in Ka'annapali?? any other sites you would reccommend would be appreciated thanks Al

Sep 20th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Phil

Snorkel, snorkel, snorkel! Was the one of the big highlights of our trip...Hanauma Bay in Oahu. Black Rock, Coral Gardens or Molokini Crater on Maui. Might want to go on a snorkel cruise..A lot of fun..Good mai tais for the ride back! We loved the Outrigger Reef on Oahu. They gave us a free upgrade on our room because we were honeymooners. Partial ocean view rooms look real nice as well. We enjoyed all of the restaurants there really. Nice views of the ocean. Road to Hana we didn't really enjoy and wouldn't do again. Some incredible views though and some nice waterfalls but about an hour into it, the road really takes it toll on your head and stomach. 3 and a half hours in and then you realize you have to turn around and go back. I'm not saying don't go but we aren't sure that we enjoyed the experience really. Had a great time on the dinner cruise on Oahu and loved the trip around the North Shore. Stop and buy some fruit from one of the stands and look at the big waves while you're up there. A real nice little village on the Northwest side w/ lots of shops and restaurants but I can't remember the name right now. Marriot looks beautiful but I know they are undergoing construction right now and saw lots of it going on when we walked by so might want to look into that. Lots of other beautiful hotels right next to it. Hope you enjoy. We absolutely loved it and really miss it right now....

Sep 20th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Alice

How was your stay in the Ka'anapali Villas? What other properties in Ka'anapali stood out to you? Did you prefer the Ka'anapali area over the Wailea area, or were both comparable? I'm deciding between the two for my honeymoon next year in June. thanks for your input!

Sep 20th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Phil

This is a toughy because in the end our experience at the Villas was great but I don't think we would stay there again. We were really given the run around when checking in (along with 3 other couples at the same time), so I'm assuming this is a problem there. They didn't have the room we requested or wanted but after a lot of pushing we ended up w/ a great room about 20 steps to the pool and 25 to the beach so it was great but I don't want to go through that haggling again. We never made it to Wailea so I can't comment on it but I hear it's real nice. We loved the Kaanapali area though. Very close to Lahaina which is a great little town. All of the hotels around the Whalers Village area of Kaanapali seem to be very nice. This area has somewhat of a Waikiki Beach feel to it, at least to me, but not as busy. Some of those hotels were Sheraton Maui, Kaanapali alli, marriott, I think maybe the Kaanapali Beach hotel, the Whaler I believe. If you're honeymooning, I would suggest staying as long as you can and maybe seeing 2 islands if possible. We lost 2 days due to flying and jet lag so it was nice to have as much time as we could there. Trust me, you will love it no matter where you are at in the islands..It was paradise to us.

Sep 20th, 2000, 08:09 PM
Al

Thanks Phil for all the input we appreciate it as far as hana we will be going all the way around providing the back road is not closed do to rain or something(we will have a jeep) as far as the marriott we got a good rate(appx 100 night) for ocean view but we probably be gone most of the day doing tourist things. our daughter,niece,& wife's cousin are metting us there & are staying at the ka'annapali beach hotel. We are going for 3 wks, last wk in maui. I tell everyone I will be going with 1 woman & returning with 4 but they're all related.(ha-ha) Thanks again Al

Sep 21st, 2000, 07:09 AM
Phil

You will love it there...The Marriott/Kaanapali Beach area is great in my opinion...Nice beach and a lot of things to do..Enjoy yourself and don't forget to relax every now and then. Let me know if you have anymore questions..

Sep 25th, 2000, 12:38 PM
Carelle

Phil you mentioned you enjoyed all the
restaurants at the Outrigger Reef. The
Shorebird Boiler might have nice views
but their salad bar was the worst we have ever had! The main hot dish was chili! They took shortcuts such as using processed turkey! We never returned as
there are so many good restaurants nearby some with even better views, such
as Dukes. Tratorria was also excellent.
Try Buzz's steakhouse too. Skip the Shorebird! What a rip off.

Sep 25th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Phil

Actually, we had lunch/dinner at the other two restaurants in the hotel and thought they were excellent. The only meal we had at the Shorebird Broiler was the breakfast buffet and were very pleased w/ the food.