Reload this Page >

Help with a compass please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:55 AM
Marilyn

I just received my auto compass from Rand McNally..I have no clue what shafts, compensators, slots aligning with raised marks extending from the endge of the adjusting holes means. Anyone have one of these and can explain to me how I can neutralize it for the first time with words like, "knobs", "screws", etc; please? Thanks

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 07:17 PM
Topper

To the top. This lady needs an answer. I don't know the answer..maybe someone else does. Apparently Rand McNally have not responded to her email.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 04:28 AM
Topper

Anyone know anything. Help this gal out please.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Ferdinand

I don't have any familiarity with that specific compass, but do have some knowledge of compasses generally, so may be able to offer a little help.

First, remember that you're not going to be doing any precision navigation with a car compass - you're only interested in the general direction of travel. You don't need to be overly concerned about getting it properly compensated - good enough is, well, good enough.

What you're trying to accomplish is to adjust for the effect that a large ferrous object (your car) will have on the accuracy of any compass in its vicinity. Get another compass and use it (keeping it some distance away) to align your car pointing due north (or south, if that's easier). Then, adjust the car compass (which should be installed in the car first) to also read due north by moving one of the compensators via the screw. There should be two compensators and one will have more of an effect than the other - just use trial and error. Now point your car east (or west) and make a similar adjustment with the other compensator.

You may also find you don't need to do anything - I had an auto compass years ago that was plenty close enough without any adjustment. Remember also that any ferrous object that you put next to the compass, or any electronic object like a cell phone, may adversely affect its accuracy.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 11:34 AM
fred small

Speaking as the real topper, to the top. Accept no substitutes.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Marilyn

Thank you, Ferdinand.

I misplaced the instructions now. LOL yes, it has two screws on each side which holds the base. If I undo the screws a bit, the apparatus moves and allows me access to the screw on the bottom of the compass. Will attempt it as you said. Thank you again.