Just home from Hawaii

Search

Just home from Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just home from Hawaii

3.5 weeks in the state, 7 days Oahu, 8 days Kauai and 9 days Big Island.

As always time well spent.

Sad note Lida's closes at Alamoana Mall. Tried looking for articles in Star bulletin could not see anything. Any locals on here have more details? Did this make the news in Honolulu? Ironically I was there on the last day of closing and got 75% off !!! The one time I could afford the place LOL.

Still creating new haunts on Oahu, family I traveled with enjoyed this island the most and were saddest in leaving. I love Oahu too but I really don't measure them against each other. Each island has its own charm and personality if that makes sense.

Kauai still promises a rainbow everyday. I discovered a beach I did not know before just south of Shipwreck beach (car drive) south of the golf course. Canyon views feel like home to me.

One sister felt uncomfortable not having 4wd so we only made it a short distance past the hau tree before we turned back and MISSED POLIHALE!!!. I will be back.

Big island, biggest surprise of all!!! A lot of forgotten beauty. A lot I have not seen before. Pololu Vally, Waipio Vally, North Kohala coast, Hamakua coast, some spots I am not gonna mention because I want them to stay secluded. It was all one big WOW! Need to begin plans for next trip back.

Accommodations:
The Ilikai on Oahu was nice and central. Easy access out of Waikiki for Northern and Windward shore trips.

Big Island: First drove to hilo side and stayed in Volcano Village at a private cottage. New and immaculately clean, set on the edges of a fern Forrest . Two bedrooms, kitchen and living room, deck for $135 a night. Was helpful to stay in the area cut down driving considerably. I will get details to you at a later date. Next at the Hilton Waikoloa "not to be missed if you are with kids". Just too crowded during school break season for the rest of us. Hilton does little to accommodate guests, customer service profoundly LACKING. Nice enough employees but they just don't have the numbers they need to assist the 1500 rooms. It took us 2 hours to check in when we arrived at 5PM. There were only 2 people in front of us on the line. They took 40 minutes with one patron. We were told we would not see our luggage for an additional 45-60 minutes. Oh and then we were greeted by "THE BIRDS" in the Laguna tower. Absolutely ask about the myna birds in your wing before you stay. They will not warn you. When we asked to swich our room the front desk told us they (100+ birds) only chirp a bit after sunset. They also tried to tell us they were an indigenous threatened specious but that is another story, LOL. They went on past 11pm on our stay. We were told to put a towel under the door to muffle the noise. THIS IS HOW NOISY they were. Don't get me started on the sanitary problems of that many birds in a small space. Gotta believe people have brought this up in here before. Paybacks for not coming on to Fodor’s more frequently. Not sure if it’s worth it for more than a night if you are without kids, just too many people every step of the way here.

Having said all this, if you are traveling with kids who are sick of seeing waterfalls and sunsets take em here, drop them off, enroll in menihuni program and go on your own tour. The kids we were with loved it and that can be enough even if you are not getting what you expect.

Haipuna Prince and Mauna Kea were what we expected of Hawaiian hotels, relaxing, spacious, well integrated with the environment (open air lobbies). They too were booked to capacity but you never had a sense of this. Hawaiian music here too, something we did not see at the Waikoloa.

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Nice report.

I did not see anything in the news, Honolulu Star Bulletin or Honolulu Advertiser, about Lida's closing. I must confess, I've never shopped there.

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 01:50 AM

There was a big story in the papaer about Iidas (double I)closing and they had about a month long sale. There were some very good bargains at the end. I was sorry to see it go, but they were never as good - or as cheap- nce they moved from the previous location in Ala Moana.

Glad you had a good time, Sarah!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 01:55 AM

Try this link for the Iida's story:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02p.html
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lucy I will check that out. Just looking up the meaning of the "seven god figurine. I bought.

Sorry to be home!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

lucy sweet story. Always hear that the Japanese were not interned on Hawaii. Rubonic plague in Hawaii?? Good historical piece, that article. Thanks again!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:08 PM

Hey Sarah, Great report! Just wanted to check back with you on your own thread, so as not to waste Jenna's time with Kipu Kai Beach debate. I was cureous so did some websearching. Every site I found told me the beach is inaccessible by land. There are many tour groups that visit by boat. If you go to placenames.com/us/p361274 you will see why it is inaccessible. Regardless of hawaiin laws, the road owned by the government gives access to some touroperators but public access is not allowed. And that road is nowhere near the beach. You would have to traverse mountain ranges and ridgefront...impossible? I don't know. From what I understand JW Waterhouse willed the whole ranch to Island of Kauai, but with conditions that protect his children and grandchildren. If you ever find a path to the beach, make sure to tell your fellow fodorites!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

True no path need be blazed with the exception of one very rugged trail. In this scenario the land owner does not need to blaze a trail of access. Access is not denied just too difficult to insure safety, that was the only red herring I found when I looked up the laws too. A lot different than telling people the beach is privately owned.

http://starbulletin.com/2001/11/17/news/story11.html

This article talks about the trail to the beach.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln29a.html
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

second article above shows the good intentions of the original owner of Kipu ranch (Jack Waterhouse) whatever was told to my sister was probably inaccurate or just some worker speaking off the cuff. No such thing as a private beach in Hawaii. That aside a very valiant and generous gesture to give the surrounding land to the public upon his death.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:39 PM

Thanks I'll look them up. This one is kinda interesting..
members.aol.com/-ht-a/kauaihistory/bk3.htm
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 02:53 PM

oops that was members.aol.com/_ht_a/kauaihistory/bk3.htm
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 03:16 PM

Hi Sarah, the figures to which you refer are the Seven Household Gods. They each represent things like wisdom, wealth, health, etc. but I don't know which is which. Each also governs specific professions. Drat--I used to have a little pamphlet on this subject but I have never been able to find it online.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissa easy to find out about the gods online. Wished I had been to lida's before the last day. I must have been there when they were clearing out the warehouse. I was there on the first Thursday of July, article says the official closing date was June 26. I only remember this because I went to First Thursdays at the Hawaiian Tiki Hut (did I get that name right?), just next to Alamoana hotel. This was fun too if you have left leaning political teens. Packed house of about, ...I am gonna guess 200 people. Open access but the pressure is on to be talented. We did not hear one presenter that did not belong on stage. Did not agree with all but everyone seemed to have a strong stage presence. Only 3 dollars a pop too but yeah it is a college scene and we did it for our rapster teen, LOL. He was in his glory here while his more conservative (jr. Bush campaigner cringed LOL).

One other surprise, I found a legendary Hawaiian reggae (sp) singer teaching Hawaiian language on the North Shore for free. Ok I don't know the singer by name, friend who is from Hawaii told me of this. It was right near 4 tables beach in a community house near public restrooms, shower. Pretty groovy, I just listened from the distance, as I did not want to interrupt the class of residents.

Interesting article Gyppylou, thanks!
I did not know there was a Rice family connection there. Always fun to know new historical info on Kauai. Now is the aol members database very detailed and do you need to be a member to research wi