JUST Delaware

Old May 31st, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JUST Delaware

We are attending a wedding on August 11 in Newark Delaware. We would like to take a few extra days to explore the state itself. Retirement being about a decade away, we would like to investigate the state as a possibility. We currently live in Massachusetts and want out of cold snowy winters.
Any recommendations or suggestions for web links or an itinerary would be greatly appreciated
Michele
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:46 AM

Here is one link for you.

http://www.visitdelaware.com/

Having grown up in DE, since I live in VA, I still get back a few times a year to visit family. They have cold, snowy winters as well, although not on the same scale as you presently have.

I'm not sure what kinds of things you are interested in, but the northern part of the state (Newark, Wilmington) will have more cultural options (and you're close to Philly), where in the southern part of the state, you have the beaches.

Again, depending on what you are looking for, I don't necessarily know that DE is the state you're looking for as a potential retirement location.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:08 PM

Well, there is no sales tax and state income taxes, according to some, are quite reasonable.

There are a large number of retired military folks in the Dover area and a goodly number of retired others around Rehoboth and Lewes. The latter areas are getting pricier and pricier real estate-wise, probably because tof their proximity to the beach and perhaps because of the wealth in the Washington, DC, area which has made its way over to Rehoboth ("The Nation's Summer Capital").

When you get to New-ark (pronouncing it correctly will endear you to many) you may want to check out that area as Chasechow has suggested.

There are some people who think anything in Delaware "below the canal" is more or less "out there" and uninteresting.

Those of us who live in the area know differently.

Enjoy your trip.
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:34 PM

If you head south on State Rte. 1, you'll go thru the beach areas -- Lewes, Rehobeth, etc.

Don't know what your housing budget is but, real estate tends to be expensive on the east (ocean) side of Route 1 and less expensive on the west side.

In fact, in the westerly areas like Milton, they're building communities aimed at retiree buyers.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:01 PM

Property taxes are a whole lot lower than in Masachusetts, I can vouch for that! Winters are a good 5-7 degrees warmer with less snow. Summers are hotter and more humid too.

As others have said, where to visit depends on what you're looking for. Where would you retire in MA if winters were warmer?

Lewes and Rehoboth have great beaches, good restuarants and shopping, but they are likely to be pretty crowded in August. I guess it would good give you an idea of what high season is like. In the nothern part of the state, I'd suggest driving out Route 52 to see the DuPont estates of Winterthur and Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA. Old New Castle is another place you might want to check out, historic town with lots of stately brick townhomes along the Delaware River.

If you plan to travel in your retirement, a plus for Wilmington is that its very close to the Philly airport and has an Amtrak station for easy access to the Northeast corridor. At the beach it's harder to access planes and trains - you need to drive to BWI or Phlly for a major airport.

AARP picked Rehoboth as one of it's 2006 "dream" places to retire:
http://countrylifehomes.com/woodscove/PDF/AARP.pdf

This webiste is good for the Bandywine Valley - the northern part of the state (also includes the Chadds Ford/Kennett areas of PA)
http://www.thebrandywine.com/index.html

this site is decent for lower Delaware:
http://www.visitsoutherndelaware.com/welcome.htm