Aiming towards spartanburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been on this website, posted a few messages, and had great responses. I'd like to say thanks to all who have helped me out. After careful consideration, I think my best bet is to move to a small town near spartanburg SC. The building industry seems good there, and my husband will have plenty of work. We will have a great oppurtunity to live and a small town and he will not have a far drive to work. As well as the oppurtunity to own our own home(eventually). Anyway, If anyone has advice on this area or the small towns around it, Taylors, Mayo, Etc.. I would love to hear it. You all have been a lot of help.

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
GoTravel

You have got to be kidding.

Spartanburg is in an economic slump right now due to the fact that an overwhelming majority of skilled labor in the textile industry has had their jobs overseas. I don't know what kind of building is going on there but there aren't a lot of jobs available.

Not to mention that it isn't the most attractive area in the state.

Again, Horry County, Georgetown County, and Charleston Counties are much more pleasant places, have tons of construction going on, and much more fun to live.

For gods sake, at least look at Georgetown and Conway. Very affordable housing and away from the hustle and bustle of Myrtle Beach.

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM
GoTravel

The national unemployment rate is 5.4%. That is the national average.

Upstate South Carolina's unemployment rate is supposed to hit 14%. That's almost 3 times the national average.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...s/10623112.htm

Out of curiosity, what on earth made you think of Spartanburg?

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Hi GoTravel -

As usual, you have a lot of great info at your fingertips, so I won't dispute your 14% figure, but living here in Greenville (pate -31, Greenville and Spartanburg are quickly running together), I don't see much of an economic downturn.

Sure, we have been losing textile jobs for a number of years (I was controller of a textile firm that went bankrupt in '01 so I know the drill), but there is plenty of other industry in the area, I had another job faster than I really wanted one.

I have lots of friends who are contractors in the Greenville area and my cousins are surveyors in Spartanburg, and everybody is just rolling in work. The sprawling deveolopments seems endless on the eastside of town.

Pate, my address is Taylors...it is not a town. Everything right around G'ville and S-burg is just part of the sprawl-conglomeration. Greenville is a nicer town than S'burg. If you want to be in/near S'burg county, look at Landrum SC, Tryon NC to actually live in a little town, not just a suburb.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:57 AM

I know you have written before but I think the other post-ers are right to steer you toward Greenville area as opposed to Spartanburg. Just seems like there is more going on in terms of building, cultural events, housing, jobs, etc than in Spartanburg. Some areas you may want to think about that are fairly close to Greenville that seems to be "up and coming" are Travelers Rest and Greer - these are small areas but you can see the NC mtns and there are probably some pretty developments going in. I would suggest looking at www.findyourspot.com
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

To those who are suggesting living near Myrtle Beach, thanks but no thanks! I live near panama city beach I moved here several years ago and have been trying to leave ever since. The crime is ridiculus, pay rate sucks, everytime it rains there's no work for my husband. We used to live in NC at least when it snowed he could work. We came here for better oppurtunities, a chance to buy a home (yeah right) not till I win the lottery! The cost of homes and land here has gotten ridiculus. All people care about is how many condos they can get built to cover the beach. Now they're trying to make the beach private. I've had enough with the selfishness of the town and the people. To the others thanks for your helpful advice.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM
GoTravel

Litespeed, I love Greenville! It is a beautiful city and I think they've done an outstanding job with downtown. I used to date an attorney there and spent some time in Greenville.

From my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the cost of living and housing in Greenville is quite a bit higher than the surrounding areas due to Greenville's healthy economy.

I was mainly speaking of the Spartanburg area in my posts and should have including the fact that Greenville is a wonderful little area.

By the way Litespeed, if I had to leave the beach and move inland, my first choice would be Lake Keowee!

Pate, please do not make references to Panama City and Myrtle Beach in your post when I was refering to areas away from Myrtle Beach.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:00 PM

GoTravel -

Greenville's downtown is quite nice. If you haven't been lately, you should see the cool footbridge they built over the Reedy River at the falls. It's the longest suspension bridge or some-such superlative. For a very traditional town like G'ville, it's unique and modern...I'm impressed. My office just moved downtown and it really is a super downtown. Condos (very expensvie condos) are springing up right and left, and I hear people are actually buying them!

I grew up out in the sticks right on the county line between S'burg and G'ville, and G'ville always seemed superior to me. Still does, although both towns have steadily improved.

As far as the economy though, and residential construction, I don't think S'burg would be bad...especially if you get on the growing side of town. As for cost of housing, I think it's not so much a matter of proximity to G'ville as it is being in specific tony subdivisions that can make housing costs silly.

Keowee: wow, now there's some money. Hard to believe the prices of those lots. I assume the buyers are all either retired or getting vacation homes. I can't imagine commuting to work anywhere from there.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM
jw

Definitely take a look at areas west of Greenville, too. I lived in the Clemson area for about 8 years, and it is a nice area, even for a college town. Still can be in Greenville in 30 minutes. Greenville has done very well for itself over the last few years, so I think anywhere around it will be okay. I would prefer the Greenville area over Spartanburg, but since they are so close it may not really matter.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM

There are some really great places in Spartanburg. Before you make any hasty decisions I'd encourage you to visit Greenville and Spartanburg. I live in Duncan, a very fast growing area, which is approx. 7 miles from Spartanburg. I'm in the best of both worlds because all I have to do is jump on I85 and I'm in Greenville in less than 20 minutes!

The economy is sluggish for those in the textile and manufacturing industries. However, there are many opportunites as the area is growing by leaps & bounds.

Yvette