Search

Just booked..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just booked..

we booked our honeymoon to oahu and maui for october 2006. i am so excited. Any tips on where to go, what to see would be greatly appreciated. Also, fine dining and cheap dining (especially breakfast) place recommendations.... things for us to do at night (we are not big club people..well, at least when we're together).. off the beaten path rec's.. we are both in our mid 20s. looking for trendy or romantic things/places to go.

thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Congratulations!

Hawaii is a wonderful honeymoon destination.

Here's some basic advice to get you started...

Search this site for tons of suggestions by typing your destination in the search box.

Provide more details... where are you staying? How long is your trip?
Put Hawaii in your title and you'll get more responses.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:47 AM

In Maui, drive the road to Hana. Don't be in a hurry. Get an early start. And take lots of photos. Drive completely around the island.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM

One of our best memories of our trip to Maui was Mama's Fish House. It is located at the point of where the Road to Hana starts I believe. I'm not sure if it has changed at all over the past few years, but it was such a relaxed atmosphere with wonderful dishes. Not trendy, but we were in our late 20's at the time and really enjoyed it. It had a casual elegance to it.
The Road to Hana was great. I will always remember "Pow for now" from the audio tape we bought guiding our drive.
On Oahu, I was moved by Pearl Harbor and would make that a must. The North Shore was incredible and I wish we could have spent more time on that side of the island.
Just a few thoughts... I'm sure you'll get many more.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:46 AM

If you get the chance, splurge and go to a luau on Maui. We went to the Royal Hawaiian Luau and it was unforgettable. You will love just kicking back and relaxing in Maui, but make sure to do a little shopping in Lahaina.
I agree with the above post about Oahu.
Even though you may have to wait in line, don't miss Pearl Harbor. Just remember to go early and you cannot bring in a purse or fanny pack.
The North Shore is incredible, absolutly beautiful. I don't know where you're staying, but if you get the chance to stay in the North Shore, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If you aren't make sure to go visit.
In Oahu, there's a coffee shop accross the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village that is very popular and very good for breakfast.
I know myself, especially on Maui, we just liked to kick back and relax in the mornings and enjoy the incredible view. We purchased a styrafoam ice chest,purchased milk, cereal, juice, and fruit and had breakfast on our balcony. Couldn't have been any better.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM

It's funny, but I was going to say don't bother with a luau, avoid Mama's because it's way way overpriced and overrated, and Pearl Harbor can be a downer on a honeymoon! (I wouldn't miss it, but I'm old and a WWII history buff.)
Maui: (1) The road to Hana is a must-do, start very early, swim the lava tube and see the black sand beach in the state park along the way. Head on to the Owyhee gulch ("7 sacred pools") for the fab views and a great waterfall swim. Go all the way around the island from there, the scenery is amazing. (2) Do the sunset (NOT the sunrise)from one of the west-facing vantage points on Haleakala, after you've visited the crater; bring a picnic dinner and stay for the incredible star show. Because you've driven the road up in the daytime, the ride down will be easier (and no bikes).
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Karina.....If you don't know what to do at night while on your honeymoon maybe you shouldn't be getting married
8-)
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM

When we first started going to Maui we took a helicopter tour with Blue Hawaiian helicopters. I still watch the tape. I will never forget the breathtaking views from far above the land. We also love taking a drive to upcountry Maui. The green up there beats Ireland by a mile. It's one of those places I fantasied about as a little girl when I wanted to run far away because my mom yelled at me. It is SO perfect up there. Stop at Paia and by some art and have some lunch in Makawao with the Paniolo's. (cowboy's) It is so quaint up there. You feel like you are back in time. Depending on where you are staying you will have a great fine dining experience in Wailea at Nicks Fishmarket. If you are on the Lahaina (Kaanapali) side you can also have a fine dining experience at David Paul's. It's fine china and crystal. Two other great places in Lahaina are Io's and Pacific Grill. You can dine outside by the moonlight and tiki torches. These places are VERY expensive but so worth the money for priceless honeymoon memories. Some casual places but not dives are Tommy Bahama's at the shops at Wailea. Cheeseburger & Mai Tai's at the shops at Wailea. Kimo's in Lahaina, Lahaina Fish Company (love this place) and Bj's Pizzaria in Lahaina. If you are up in Kapalua where the Ritz is don't go to the Plantation House. It has gone waaayy down hill. We have eaten there about 12-15 times over the years and always loved it, but our last experience a few weeks ago while we were on Maui was awful. The food was dry and the portions have shrunk. Banyan Tree was terrible also. I wish the old chef would come back. I had the scallop appetiser and they took one scallop and split into three and put it on top of polenta. All for the small price of $18.00! We don't mind paying for a great meal but that was nuts! The menu has gone way too far out and they don't pare the food well. Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is great and what a great wine list. Vino's in Kapalua is good if you like Tappa's. It's more on the pricey side, but yummy. We also like Hula Grill on Kaanapali Beach. We eat at the tables inside, not on the sand. Reasonably priced. If you sit out at the tables in the sand it will be dirt cheap for Maui. We don't care for Leilani's, which is right next door to Hula Grill. The quality of the food has gone down hill in the past few years. Try it though because everyone is different. We have only eaten breakfast at the resorts which is going to run about $25.00 per person. Don't eat at Longi's for breakfast in Lahaina. It's REALLY bad. These are just my opinions. I ahve been to Maui 13 times since 2000 and in September I will be going back again so I have a pretty good idea of how things go over there.

Where are you staying on Oahu and Maui? That would give a better idea of what to suggest for you. On Oahu if you are staying anywhere near Kalakaua Ave there are a zillion places to eat. Again, we have only eaten at the hotels, but all you have to do is walk down Kalakaua and you can find many places to eat breakfast. One place you might like for dinner on Oahu is LaMer at the Halekulani. This is probably the most romantic meal you will ever experience. It's AAA five diamond so get ready to spend HUGE $$$. You will never forget it. It has a dress code so bring something nice to wear. I am not sure if men are still required to wear jackets. If you want a bit less formal but still elegant, dine a Orchids at the Halekulani. I ahve had some of the best meals of my life there.

I hope this helps a bit. Congratulations! I was married on Maui two years ago. It was heaven.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

we are staying at the outrigger luana in honolulu and the sheraton maui.