Need itinerary help for Oahu & Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying at the Outrigger Reef for 3 nights and the Sheraton Maui in June for 4 nights.

Can anyone recommend some activities for us to do? We are a couple in our mid 20s on our honeymoon.

Also, can anyone tell us about the hotels we are staying at and the interisland flights with Aloha Airlines.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I think you'll like both resorts. Look at their websites and tripadvisor.com. Sheraton Maui has a great snorkeling location on Black Rock and the torch-lighting each evening is magical. In Oahu, I would definitely walk around the Waikiki area and take a drive up to the north shore area. On Maui, I would definitely visit the Iao Valley and Haleakala. The drive up the west shore to the Olivine Pools and on around is really neat. I probably wouldn't do the Road to Hana with only four days. The Old Lahaina Luau is fun. Do build in some relaxation time...
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
bonniebroad

I second Crazy4Hawaii .... along with adding a trip to Pearl Harbor on Oahu. I completely agree about NOT doing the road to Hana during a four-day Maui stay. And you're in good hotels on both islands! We enjoyed our interisland flights on Aloha ... although some people complain about the time it takes to fly island to island, I've always enjoyed them, love the scenery!

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I, too, would recommend Pearl Harbor (go VERY early) and I would definatly recommend a visit to the North Shore.
Very beautiful.
In Maui, I'd make sure you go to Lahaina for shopping. The island of Maui is very beautiful.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Waikiki: Outrigger Reef has a great spa, Serenity Spa (went for a facial myself last trip) I know they offer couples massage among other services. The high-end restaurant downstairs is beautiful, go at sunset. The more casual one is too noisy and hectic for me but I have seen posts from people who liked it. For another nice dinner I highly recommend Banyan Veranda at the old Moana Surfrider hotel, again try to seating at sunset. Along the main boulevard a guy runs each evening and lights all the torches, kind of cool. Also free Hawaiian dance and music demos on the stage at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center.

Because I am not interested in military history Pearl Harbor is not a must do in my mind. If you want something cultural I personally would choose Bishop Museum or Iolani Place which are right in Honolulu to visit.

Maui: I recommend either Feast of Lele or Old Lahaina Luau, make reservations early as they are popular. Both are in Lahaina which is a great town to walk around... lots of fun galleries, shops, restaurants, bars, etc. The crater of Haleakala is the one "must do" I would suggest for Maui.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Outrigger Reef has lots of good gift shops in the huge open air lobby that cuts thru from the street to the beach out back. Shore Bird is the casual bar restaurant I didn't care for. Ocean House is the name of the more formal dining room which had excellent food, service, and atmosphere.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:08 PM

"Because I am not interested in military history Pearl Harbor is not a must do in my mind."

Suze, I assume that you are not interested in honoring the soldiers who defended and preserved your freedom? How sad.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Road to Hana is the best part of Maui. Don't skip it! Also Haleakala and stroll Lahaina. Skip the Old Lahaina Luau. It does not have a fire knife dancer which is the best part of any Polynesian show.

On Oahu, Arizona Memorial is a must.

For Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com Official Maui Visitors Bureau. They will send you a free brochure.

For Oahu:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:26 PM

<I assume that you are not interested in honoring the soldiers who defended and preserved your freedom? How sad.>

leelane911, That's a whole lot of bad attitude you are dishing out to a person you know nothing about. Please let's not derail this thread for nice activities for a young honeymooning couple.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Suze, the problem is not a bad attitude on my part. We are talking about an incredulous one, that an American citizen could be so ungrateful. If not for our military history that you are not interested in, life would be very different in this world.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:50 AM
OO

Geez Louise leelane! That was so uncalled for.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Because this is a honeymoon trip I was trying to suggest *romantic* activities.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Not romantic, but absolutely amazing and fun is the Warren and Annabelle show in Lahaina on Maui. Warren is an incredible magician and Annabelle is a...ghost who plays piano. But book early, maybe a couple of weeks in advance. Cost of the show is $45 a person, plus you can add an appetizer plate plus 2 drinks (any drinks you want, not just well drinks)for $27 more per person. The appetizer plate is BIG.

If you like the ocean, I recommend snorkelling, perhaps taking one of the many boats to Molokini. They'll supply everything you need (except sunscreen and a towel).

Even for youngsters like you, I think you will exhaust yourselves if you do Haleakala, Iao Valley and the Road to Hana, especially the last. All are very worthwhile, but I think it's too much to do in 4 days. Pick one.

If you like Japanese/Sushi, I recommend Sensei. They have an early bird 25% discount (50% on a couple of nights and also discounts after 10 PM. That's in Kapalua, maybe a 20 minute drive from the area where you are staying.

Congratulations and Aloha.

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:38 AM

On Waikiki beach right near your hotel are places that rent out paddle boats, floats, surfboards, etc.

'The Bus' is a great way to get around. You can catch it down to the Zoo, over to Ala Moana shopping center, into Chinatown in Honolulu.

There are van tours for snorkeling at Hunama Bay with hotel pick up, equipment, and brief instruction included.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM

I agree with Davethecat about Warren & Annabelle's. Make the reservations before you leave, or you may not get them!

We opted for the dinner. It was one of the best of the trip! The show is fantastic fun!

Belle
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM

I was also somewhat offended by the remarks of Suze about Pearl Harbor not being a must.

I think anyone visiting Hawaii, especially Oahu, should take a couple hours of their time to visit the USS Arizona Memorial, one of the treasures of our country.

I won't go as far as leelane and state that suze is not interested in honoring the soldiers.

Pearl Harbor may not be the most romantic thing to see or do in Hawaii. But, it is one of the most cherished things one can do in Hawaii. And it should be #1 on anyone's list of things to do regardless of the reason they are in Hawaii.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Aren't strong opinions fun?!

Pearl Harbor is A MUST!
The Road to Hana is A MUST!
Fire knife dancers are THE BEST part of any Polynesian show!

Actually I've seen all of the above and none of them are even in my top ten favorite things to see/do in Hawaii. It's patently ridiculous to think that one must see Pearl Harbor to appreciate/honor our country's military history. That's like saying one must see "The Passion" to be a good Christian! With only seven days in Hawaii, I'd spend as little time as possible sitting in a car or waiting in a line. And I still think the best luau I've seen (and I've seen a few) is the very authentically-Hawaiian Old Lahaina Luau. Let others be "incredulous" and "offended" all they want to be! Do what YOU want to do, relax, enjoy the ambience.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:50 PM

An opinion about a restaurant vs another is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one.

An opinion about a luau vs another is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one

An opinion about a favorite snorkeling spot vs another is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one.

An opinion about whether a road is worth traveling is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one.

A negative statement that implies that the Arizona Memorial isn't a place to see on a trip to Hawaii is a sacrilege to any veteran. It should offend any veteran.

I don't know if you are a veteran. I am. I was offended by suze negative statement about the Memorial as was leelane. I don't know if leelane is a veteran or not.

The Arizona Memorial is recognized as one of the most significant memorials to veterans in the world.

Suze would have been much better off if she didn't mention the Arizona Memorial at all rather than to make such a negative statement.

I have many opinions on things to do and see in Hawaii. I have many opinions on mnay other things in life. But, I would never say anything negative about such an important memorial to those that served our country.

The Arizona Memorial isn't important to see because you are on your honeymoon because it isn't romantic. But taking a bus around town is. How pathetic!

That is the point I'm making.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM

An opinion about a restaurant vs another is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one.

An opinion about a luau vs another is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one

An opinion about a favorite snorkeling spot vs another is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one.

An opinion about whether a road is worth traveling is just that, an opinion. It hurts no one.

A negative statement that implies that the Arizona Memorial isn't a place to see on a trip to Hawaii is a sacrilege to any veteran. It should offend any veteran.

I don't know if you are a veteran. I am. I was offended by suze negative statement about the Memorial as was leelane. I don't know if leelane is a veteran or not.

The Arizona Memorial is recognized as one of the most significant memorials to veterans in the world.

Suze would have been much better off if she didn't mention the Arizona Memorial at all rather than to make such a negative statement.

I have many opinions on things to do and see in Hawaii. I have many opinions on mnay other things in life. But, I would never say anything negative about such an important memorial to those that served our country.

The Arizona Memorial isn't important to see because you are on your honeymoon because it isn't romantic. But taking a bus around town is.

That is the point I'm making.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM

We went to Oahu, Maui and Kauai on our honeymoon when we were in our mid 20s, we have been back three times (now in our early 50's) as recently as five years ago. Just like raising kids and getting advice, read all our advice, search the web, read some guidebooks, and it will all come together what will interest you the most. Save some time to enjoy being together and on your honeymoon. Usually you are tired after your wedding and exhausted, also perhaps from the flight, but I don't know where you are flying from. We ran around so much by the time we got to the third island I was sick with a fever, had to see the hotel doctor and my husband did everything on his own while I lay in the hotel room or sleeping in the shade. Don't run crazy, you can always go back ! That being said, here is what I would consider: Although we weren't staying at the Sheraton Waikiki, we were still able thru them to go out on a snorkeling trip just us and one guy on a boat who took us to some cool places - we also did Hunama Bay but it can be crowded and we saw basically the same fish. I would recommend renting a car for one day and doing the drive to the north shore. You can stop all along the way at lookout/photo points, Hunama Bay, Blowhole, etc and stop when you want. Lovely views. If you want, snorkel at Hunama on the way.
Finish and rest on the beach at your hotel and have a romantic dinner. We didn't do a Luau on honeymoon, but did with kids on Oahu - it was a hoot and I could go either way on them. The one we did included taking a bus ride (which we still laugh about b/c the bus drivers had us doing games with the other bus on the way out-the type of stuff like - quick we are passing the other bus, I am going to put the lights on and everyone turn and look the opposite way away from them...haha...we laugh not b/c it was so funny but b/c what were we doing here? anyway, the dancing was nice but I would say find one closer to home. -or someone mentioned one in Maui and that sounded good, so you could wait and do it there. hers sounded better than ours. I loved Lolani and Bishop if you like that type of stuff look into it on the web.
As far as Arizona Memorial/Pearl harbor we did do it on our honeymoon and took our kids back there. I am glad we went, it put some history in perspective and was time well spent - we went first thing in the morning and were back on the beach for lunch both times. It wasn't long. But do not feel guilty if you don't want to go, save it if you want for the trip that isn't your honeymoon. Truthfully, when we first went it was b/c my mother was so intent on my seeing it. I hadn't gone when I'd visited Hawaii in college - I was glad I went, the generation that most remembers it is older, and it gave me a clearer sense of what and how it affected them and our country at that time. You can decide when you get there. In Maui I agree about road to Hana, you need to read about that and decide if that is what you want to do for one of your days, and youneed to leave early and it is a long day but magnificent.
Haleakala willb e easier for you to do and is extremely lovely and one of my favorite spots. Snorkel in Maui too is beautiful.
We did a 1/2 day excursion with the kids to a quiet spot and after snnorkeling it ended with a bbq on the beach. very nice. But if you like the beach, pool, etc leave time to sit and relax and have leisurely lunches and dinners and be romantic. Don't feel you have to run 24/7. The beaches and views alone, with a little exploring, will satisfy you. Congratulations and Aloha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -