Just Back YNP and Teton

Search

Just Back YNP and Teton

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Back YNP and Teton

I wanted to thank all of you posters for the great advice and pointers in planning our recent trip to Wyoming. We had a wonderful time, on the budget we set and one of the best trips we've taken.

It was my husband, myself and our 14 yr. old son and we were travelling from July 1-July 10. I'd be happy to answer questions.

Thanks again Fodors posters!!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Hi Jaye, glad you had a great trip. Are
there any road closures in Yellowstone?
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

No road closures, yet, but I think some are coming at the end of this month.

We did run into a spot on the west side of the park between Gibbon Meadow and Gibbon Falls where there was one lane and you had to wait on line for a pilot car. It led to some major backups at times. The west side of the park had much heavier traffic than the east.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:19 AM

We are planning on spending 4 days in YNP beginning of Sept. Would you recommend a itinerary based on your experience? Any must sees or not-really-worth-it places?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Amyx,
I'm not sure what you mean by an itinerary? If you mean booking accomodations in advance, I would say absolutely. If you mean getting a map of the park and planning your day to day, hope to dos, then yes, that might be helpful and fun, plus it can certainly save you some time with back tracking etc. The park is large, so a plan will save you time and stress.

If I had to put one thing to skip I would have to say Mammoth Hot Springs. Many are now dried up and one at the top, while really beautiful, doesn't make the trip to Mammoth worth it, unless you are a big history buff and want to see the historical park headquarters and other buildings along that strip.

The Old Faithful area has the high concentration of geysers activity, but the most crowds and was the least restful. The Old Faithful Inn was interesting and well worth visiting and having a coffee or ice cream while you take in the lobby or mezzanine. However, if you get off the beaten path and take a hike you will lose 95% of the people. Start your hikes by 8:30 or 9:00AM. We loved the Fairy Falls hike and especially Imperial and Stream geysers that are beyond the Falls. Also, included some mud pots back there by Stream geyser.

Don't obsess about seeing wildlife. You will see plenty.

There is a Yellowstone chat site that I checked out for a few weeks before we left and that was a good resource too. Check out the threads under Wyoming or type in a search of Yellowstone under WY to get lots of ideas.

Happy Trails!!
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:08 PM
cd

Tell me about the Fairy Falls hike. How long and is it steep. (we have bad knees in our group) Is it in the Old Faithful area?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:12 PM
cd

PS. What were your temperatures day/evening?
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

cd,
The Fairy Falls hike was very easy to the Falls. Past the Falls (to get to Imperial and Stream Geysers) there were two areas where logs were set next to each other or "highwire" style to avoid shallow water. No steepness just decent balance needed. I'm the uncoordinated one in our group and believe me I would have sat the the highwire walk log and slid on my fanny if I needed to.
The hike is 5 miles RT to the Falls. If you go to the geysers, it's more like 6.5 RT. We took that hike while we were staying at the Old Faithful cabins and it was very near.
Don't know when you are going, but weather is always changing in mountain regions. We had lows in the low 40's and highs in the mid-70's to mid-80's. Layering is the way to go as you might start a hike at 8:30 with a sweater and jacket and be down to a tee shirt by the time the hike is over.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:07 PM
cd

Thanks Jaye!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Thanks Jaye!

Would you mind sharing your favorite thing to do in YNP and Teton? Have you tried the float trip on Snake river while in Teton? Is it pretty safe for somebody who does't swim?

It was very kind of you to offer to help fellow travellers!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

amyx,
So hard to say what my favorites were. This was my first trip to both parks. I most regret not getting to take the boat at Jenny Lake in Teton and the hike that so many mentioned on this board. The parking lot there literally did not have a space when we went to take the trip on July 4. We did take the sunrise float trip on the Snake River with Solitude and you will be issued a life vest. There are no rapids to speak of, so you should be fine. The views were awesome. We saw almost no wildlife, however, so if that is your motivation for the float trip, I wouldn't take the time or spend the $$. Drive to the top of Signal Mountain. Try to get to the back of Jackson Lake Lodge near sunset. It is a lovely wetland area and moose are said to hang out there, Moose Wilson Rd. and Oxbow Bend.

Favorites at YNP: The great food deal at the Lake Lodge cafeteria and the view from their dining area, driving the stretch of Hayden and Lamar Valleys, lunch at Roosevelt Lodge, Fairy Falls hike, wildlife viewing where ever and when ever it showed up, Old Faithful Inn, Breakfast at Snow Lodge Restaurant, all the geysers and hot springs and the great mud pots. I would have loved to have done more hikes and others can give input on those. There is a Yellowstone Chat page that can be very helpful. As it was our first time, we felt we really wanted to complete the whole loop and see the highlights of the park.

I will also add that we are so glad to took one day and drove the Beartooth Hwy. out the northeast entrance to the YNP and into Red Lodge, MT. We spent the night in Red Lodge and then headed back over the Beartooth and into the park to do the west side of the park.

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 05:07 PM

jaye,
Thanks for your response! I will definitely try to take the Jenny Lake boat in Teton and check out the cascades. I have heard warnings that you need to be at the parking lot early. Thanks for the food advice too. We like cafeteria setting when visiting national parks, as the restaurants tend to be at best average but expensive. So we will be at the Lake lodge cafeteria for sure. If time allows, we will probably try to do a sunset float trip on Snake river. Thanks for mentioning the Beartooth highway - I have come across it on this forum, but never thought I could incorporate it in my itinerary, not knowing exactly where it was. Now we will definitely check it out. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Syv

We had a great trip as well (trip report - CO/WY/SD posted July 19th).

We really enjoyed the river rafting/cookout trip with Mad River Rafting on Snake River out of Jackson. They seemed to be very experienced, safe, etc. We had never done anything like this before & are not really swimmers, and were unsure how rough it would be but it was fine & great fun. There are "non-paddling" seats. Great steak/trout cookout included.

The temperatures were extremely high while we were at YNP and GTNP. They were saying it was hotter than usual. 90's most days by late afternoon. Sunshine every day.

I agree with other poster about - if you have to skip something, skip Mammoth area.

It is hard to plan your itinerary through YNP without checking the daily postings at Old Faithful centre for the predicted geyser times. If you want to see a few of the more interesting ones, you'll have to work your itinerary around that. We were able to see Old Faithful (twice), Grand & Turban, Daisy, Grotto, Riverside, & we "just missed" Fountain.

Several of the mud pots were dried up but we were able to see a few "spots" of wet bubbly mud to get the effect.

We had two times of a road closure stop for about 20 minutes, and the 2nd time about 10 minutes. That's the only delay other than manouvering around stopped vehicles of buffalo watching tourists

Have fun planning! Our pictures turned our GREAT.

Sylvia