Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just back from Maine (Bar Harbor, Kenne. Camden)

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Mary

Just got back from a week trip to Maine! Here's my itinerary and recommendations which mostly center on Bar Harbor since we stayed there longer!

Day 1: Kennebunkport
Stayed at Cape Arundel Inn - Room 5, an end room with a view to walker's point - nice view of the Bush Compound. Great accomodations, about a 5 minute drive if that to "town". Loved being on the water and a little away from the tourist traps! Although I enjoyed KBPT I can't say that I'd stay more than 1 day! Went to Arrow's restaurant in Ogunquit -WOW! Those of you that want a gourmet really special place should go - use all their own vegetables, cure their own meats etc. Better than White Barn and about 25 minutes from KBPT!
Day 2: Drove to Bar Harbor - stopped in Camden for lunch. Better shopping than KBPT, good restaurant I think called the water front - had a great lobster roll - good waterway views. Again, can't say I could stay more than an afternoon here, but great stop along the way and good shopping!

Day 2-7 Bar Harbor!
Wow! Love it! Stayed at Ullikana B&B! Great location - 1 block walk into town with water views! Helene & Roy (owners) are so nice. Helene's breakfasts were great! Roy is passionate about the hiking & carriage trails and is eager to give suggestions! They also gave us good restaurant recommendations! Wine & cheese served at 5:30, quaint rooms! Awesome!

Restaurant Recommendations:
Beals - Down & dirty lobster "shack" located in SW Harbor. You pick it - they cook it and you eat on picnic tables. Bliss - simple, fresh, no attitude just fresh lobster. "Shack" located next door will cook you the sides - french fries, onion rings, coleslaw, chowder, beer etc!

Thrumcaps-Awesome. Menu lets you choose a lot of smaller items - like tapas! Excellent wine room! Things we ordered that we loved (although we loved them all) Heirloom tomato Salad, Filet with Blue Cheese, Black Bean Cake, Blueberry Creme Brulee. Owner Tom recommends great wine in your range!

MIquels-Mexican, casual. Great chips and salsa - I got pulled beef quesadilla (sp?) Huge and good!

Havana - Cuban food! Corn Chowder! Lobster Paella, crab cakes! Make reservations!

Cafe Blue Fish - Don't bother - not bad, but not great or worth the money!

TRAILS:
Okay we hiked just 2 - they are agressive but if you are in somewhat shape they are GREAT with awesome views! Bear Brook trail - located right after beaver dam Pond - Park in Bear brook picnic area and walk up. Entrane on the right - look for wooden post - The views were INCREDIBLE!

Gorham Mountain Trailhead - A rock scramble -fun, challenging short we were up and down in 1/2 hour!

Hope this helps! Will return!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Rachel

Mary thank you so much for your post. We are headed for the Camden Kennebunkport area for leaf season. We had planned on dining at Arrow's. I'm glad to hear it was so good!

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 05:07 AM
steve

You might want to try bicycling the carriage trails. Very easy and you can cover alot more distance than hiking.

Near Camden is the Owl's Head Transportation Museum - great, especially if you go on a weekend when they operate some of the old cars and planes

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Jean

We will be in Bar Harbor the middle of October on the NCL cruise. We want to take one of the excursions. What do you suggest? Is the Whale Watch and Nature Cruise good or the Acadia National Park? Please comment on these.
Thanks
Jean

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:22 AM
hamlet

Jean - Choosing cruise excursions can be tough. I suggest you do whichever activity interests you the most. (Or, process of elimination - skip the tour that you will have a chance to do at another time/place and choose one of the remaining.) Bon voyage!