Reload this Page >

Jury doyle hotel--ok?

Search

Jury doyle hotel--ok?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 02:17 PM
ee

Jury doyle hotel--ok?

need to take the red line early in am at Dupont circle; looking for a good bed, reasonably quiet night sleep; safe area.
Fit the bill? $135 night sound right?
thanks!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Christina

I haven't stayed there but live in DC so know that hotel by sight and a few people who've stayed there, and I think that is a good choice for your purposes. It is within one block of the metro stop so you can't beat that, and it's very safe. There is a big controversy going on now that Jury's is flashing big spotlights on Dupont Circle park at night to make it safer and some local residents think that is bad ambience. I haven't seen it so I don't have an opinion; if it's like a ballpark I guess that could be weird, but if not too bad, it seems it would brighten up the place and make it more usable at night; doesn't sound so bad to me as a lot of people of all kinds just hang around that park and at night that can be intimidating. They said they did it for safety reasons and lowered the wattage a bit due to protests. Anyway, they have refurbished that hotel recently and it is not now or ever been glamorous or stylish, but looks okay to me. I thought their rates were a little cheaper than that, but those are seasonal and vary a lot depending on day of week, etc, so that sounds about right, last I heard of about $120 may have been in winter. There are a few more hotels around there not far from metro (ie, Hilton Embassy, Radisson Barcelo) that may be a little "nicer" but I'm sure they cost a lot more. That location is not noisy from the outside street, but I don't know if that hotel's walls are thin.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Kim

I think the Doyle pretty much meets all of your needs. I haven't stayed there, but have spent several evenings in the bar. The staff are very efficient and accommodating. I thought I'd left my purse in the bar one night, and they went so far as to check the video tape of the security camera at the bar's door for the 15 minutes that had passed since I first left to bar, to see if anyone left the bar with my purse.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:21 PM
xxx

I recently stayed at the Jurys Hotel in Dublin, Ireland and was quite disappointed with my stay. Rude service and an extremely loud room location (and they wouldn't move me despite having available rooms). But I must admit that the general manager was great to deal with via e-mail when I returned to the States and we were able to get everything resolved. Hopefully your stay will be much more pleasant with them.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:17 PM
ee

Thanks for the advice. I can also stay at the barcelo for 169 or the sofitel
for 135.

What do u suggest/

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:43 PM
litlgrace

I stayed at Jurys in Washington Dc in February. Everyone was nice and very courteous. When we checked in the room they gave us was to small for three women to share. They changed our room with no hesitation. The rooms were fine and the noise level was low. We enjoyed the pub in the hotel. Good atmosphere! We spent around $100 a night but got the winterfest rate since it was February. Very safe area!

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Christina

I would probably stay at Jury's given those choices. Sofitel is supposed to be a nice hotel but it is not nearly as convenient, it's up Conn Ave (which is going uphill BTW) from the metro stop maybe 5-6 blocks. That alone would do it for me. The Barcelo would be fine, I'm sure, but I'd rather have the $35 myself--unless you're on an expense account, in which case I don't have much of an opinion since I have not stayed in either one. I might choose Jury's for location as I like being right off the circle a little better than P St which is not that attractive and fairly crowded around that hotel, there is more space around Jury's and the park which might be a better view if you had one. I do like pubs, also.