Reload this Page >

Boston to New Hampshire

Search

Boston to New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Judy

Boston to New Hampshire

We need to go to Bethlehem NH. We plan on flying to Boston and then would like to go up the coast. We plan on spending 4-5 days total. Any recommendations for cities and places along the coast "not to miss?"

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Jeanne

Unless you are planning to go up the coast of the north shore of Boston (Rockport, Gloucester, etc.), I recommend that you fly into Manchester, New Hampshire, and avoid Boston altogether.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Judy

We want to go up the coast north from Boston. Then after a few days go to Bethlehem, NH. What cities along the coast are not to miss, & which are "don't bother." Thanks.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:41 AM
DougD

There are many woderful places on the coast north of Boston: The Rockport Cape Ann area is beautiful, Portsmouth NH is an interesting very old seaport. Moving up into Maine, the southernmost towns are blessed with sandy beaches and lots of vacationers. York Beach, Ogunquit, and Kennebunkport all fit this category, with Kennebunkport being my favorite.
I don't know how you plan to get to Bethlehem NH from here, the roads going east west in Northern New England are mountainous and slow going. Be prepared to see a few moose! Going up I-89 from Manchester NH is far less demanding.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:01 AM
linda

I agree, fly into manchester, nh instead, go up to mt. washington, they have the mt. washington hotel that is just beautiful! Visit cranmore and take the gondola up to the top of the mountain, there is harts turkey farm restaurant next to exit 23 of rt. 93, take rt. 93 all the way up and make sure you travel the kangamangus highway, it;s beautiful good luck have fun, I have lived here all my life

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Phyl

I agree with Linda on all points Manchester and the White Mountains

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Donna

Driving north out of Logan Airport in Boston is not much trouble. It's driving from Logan into Boston that's dreadful when you don't know your way around. Logan is about 56 miles from Portsmouth, NH and Manchester Airport is about 50 miles from Portsmouth, so if the fares are lower (and usually they are) to Logan, don't worry about it. Although, Logan is 55 miles farther than Manchester from Bethlehem. You haven't mentioned when you are visiting. Some seacoast towns (Rockport, MA, and those in Maine, for example) do not really "open for the season" until Memorial Day. But, Newburyport, MA, Salem, MA and Portsmouth, NH are all fabulous year-round destinations. The ride to Bethlehem is quite scenic. Once there, a daytime drive over Route 302 and back Route 2, or vice versa, would be spectacular any time of year.