Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed @ 'The Muse' Hotel in NYC? Seeking hotel in Times Sq ~ $200 for Apr6-7

Search

Anyone stayed @ 'The Muse' Hotel in NYC? Seeking hotel in Times Sq ~ $200 for Apr6-7

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Tina

Quite a challenge trying to find a nice hotel in Times Square area for $200 OR LESS on Fri/Sat nites (Apr6-7). I've got a reservation at "The Muse" --- anyone stayed there? Reviews --good/bad??

My 1st four preferences were either unavailable or too high -
--Hilton Times Square
--DoubleTree
--Courtyard Times Sq.
--Marriott Marquis

OR, are there any better websites to find cheaper rates at these hotels ???

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:39 PM
rqf

You can read a review of the Muse in the February 5 edition of New York magazine.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:40 PM
rqf

There is a review of the Muse in the Feb. 5 edition of New York magazine

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Patrick

Tina, we stayed at The Muse in December when our usual, The Marquis wanted a minimum of $495 per night! We paid $395 or something like that at The Muse-- no good rates in early December in NYC we discovered. The Muse is a very nice new hotel. Beautiful, small public spaces with a "trendy" staff. Our room was quite nice, but small. Again it is one of those new "trendy" hotels, which are more concerned with being "in" than with practicality. The bed was covered in huge downy comforters -- high styled furnishings (although I couldn't figure out why the huge collage on the wall had obviously been permanently mounted upside down)--and tons of special amenities in the bathroom. The downside was that it wasn't very sensibly laid out (I'm an interior designer so it may have bothered me more than you). There is one comfortable chair and ottoman, but you can't see the TV from there. The bathroom has virtually no vanity and what there is, is so laden with "accessories" that you need to move everything out just to put your toothbrush there. There is a small closet, but it is filled with iron and ironing board, extra pillows, etc. so there is practically nowhere to hang up any clothes. I'm being picky. It's really a very nice place and for $200 it sounds like an incredible bargain (incidentally we had the standard room, the deluxe rooms are considerably nicer --we peeked). I'd still prefer the Marquis just because the rooms are so much bigger and more comfortable, and the views are spectacular, but The Muse is much more stylish.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Tina

Thanks for the feedback Patrick.
I'll keep the reservation, but from your description may continue to check if something comes available at the Marriott Marquis. I appreciate your 'pickiness' as some of what you pointed out would drive you crazy as well.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Tina

-
Meant to say "it would drive ME crazy" --- thanks again for your detailed review.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Patrick

Tina, I was just browsing the Playbill site and saw that they show specials at the Marquis for April 6 at $189, ask for code LLOC, and for April 8 at $139, ask for code LLOH. April 7 is oddly missing since it is a weekend night between the other two. They give a number of 1-800-248-5582. It's worth a try, and maybe the 7th won't be $400 or something outrageous. You shouldn't have to be a Playbill member to get these rates, but if you do just go to www.playbill.com and join. It's free and absolutely no obligation. They don't even spam you after joining!