Search

June 2020 18 days AK itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2019, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June 2020 18 days AK itinerary

Hello friends,

Based on previous discussions in the forum we’ve built a non-ferry itinerary (It’s a pity but…) and chose Homer and Sitka over some other options. We "found" 2 more days so have 18 days in Alaska.
As I already mentioned our main interest in Alaska is “water”. Boats, ferries, Kayaks, Ocean View, rivers, lakes, Glaciers (Watch, walk on), Marine wildlife. Scenic roads as long as they are not too long and nice easy to moderate 3-5h hikes. No fishing, No Hunting.
I would appreciate your feedback on our Itinerary plus some more detailed “what to do” suggestions in each destination. We start Mid-June 2020.

JUNEAU - Arrive Day-1 15:30 Depart Day-3 17:00 (Alaska Airlines flights)
  • Our 2nd visit to Juneau. Renting a car for the 2 days. On our list: Tracy Arm Fjord full day cruise, Mendenhall glacier, Mount Roberts, Eagle bay.
  • On our last visit we went whale watching with Harv&marv (Great!) so this time we prefer to do it in one or two other destinations.
GUSTAVUS – Arrive Day-3 17:30 Depart Day-5 18:20
  • Glacier Bay cruise on day-4
  • Noon Whale Watching with Taz on day-5 before the 18:20 flight (via Juneau) to Sitka.
SITKA – Arrive Day-5 23:20 Depart Day-8 19:15 to Anchorage (via Juneau) just for overnight
  • We will visit Alaska Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear for sure
  • 1 or 2 short (3-5h) treks that will take us to nice scenery of the ocean, lakes, mountains and glaciers. Recommendations are more than welcome…
  • A wildlife boat excursions that goes to Saint Lazaria Island – Could you please with ant specific recommendations
  • Whale watching tours - who is the best one to go out with in your opinion?
  • And of course, the city.
  • Do you think we should rent a car in Sitka? For the 3 days? For 1 or 2?
HOMER – Arrive Day-9 after driving from Anchorage Depart Day-12 driving to Seward
  • On our way from and back to Anchorage we plan to visit: Alaska Wildlife Conservation, Alyeska Tram, Portage Glacier
  • So far I collected the following interesting names. I still don’t know how to build an a detailed itinerary: Grewingk Glacier, Homer Spit, Halibut Cove, Gull Island, the Cove's local restaurant- The Saltry.
  • We have 3 nights, 2 full days plus some time depends on how much we spend on the way to Homer on our way from Homer to Seward.
SEWARD – Arrive Day-12 from Homer Depart Day-15 to Palmer with optional stops near Portage.
  • Full day Aialik kayaking – Any suggestion with whom we should go. One of the companies goes for 15 hours, we feel it’s a bit too much.
  • Kenai Northern Fjord cruise 9 hours (we tend to choose Allen Marine)
  • Exit glacier – probably a short hike on our way from Homer
PALMER – Arrive Day-15 from Seward (stops near Portage?) Depart Day-18
  • Have to catch a 14:50 flight from ANC on Day-18
  • Want to drive the GlenAllen way – at least until Glacier-View. Is it worthwhile going on to Glennallen?
  • Want to hike Matanuska Glacier – Nova or Mica?
  • The 3 hour Knic Glacier Trip
  • Hatcher pass – Is it open late June? Do we need a 4x4 car?
As I said, we are open to any feedback, comment, suggestion, addition
Thanks for your great help

Old Nov 1st, 2019, 08:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Random answers and opinions...

Car in Sitka? I'd probably say yes, depending on the cost. Like all the SE communities there aren't a lot of roads, but the car will give you the freedom to come and go as you please, and, sad to say, might be useful as protection against wet weather.

To/from Homer and Seward: I'd think about trying to fit in a glacier cruise out of Whittier if possible. It will be different from the Kenai Fjords cruise (calmer water, more glacier faces.) You might also take a short detour to Hope on the way down or back; it's an interesting old gold rush village, the only settlement on the south side of Turnagain Arm.

Palmer: Well, honestly I'd probably amend this part of the trip pretty severely. No, I wouldn't go as far as Glennallen, and yes, Hatcher Pass is open in late June. No, you don't need a 4 x 4. If it was me (and of course it's not) I'd probably travel from Seward to Whittier on day 15, do a glacier cruise, then spend the night in Girdwood. The next day I'd drive through Anchorage up to Hatcher Pass and maybe spend the night somewhere in the valley, then on day 17 do the glacier hike if you must, but then return to Anchorage that night. Remember daylight hours are going to be VERY long; it really doesn't get very dark at all.
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 01:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with all of Gardyloo's comments. DW and I had a redeye flight out of ANC and I took a good sunset picture from a window at the airport at midnight the first week of June.
The cheapest gas you will find in Anchorage (probably Alaska) is at the Costco on the east side of town. You have to be a member to get gas from the pump.
If you drive slowly, you can get away with driving the Skilak road on the Kenai. It is a well graded dirt road where you may see some wildlife. We lucked out and got a Subaru Outback instead of the economy car we reserved.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo and tomfuller for the helpful comments,

We did a glacier cruise out of Whittier 5 years ago with a one overnight in Girdwood- this is why we try to find some other activities this time. I will reconsider this part of the trip.
The Skilak road sounds interesting (on the way to or from Homer), is it OK to drive a rented can on this road?
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 06:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yovi
Thanks Gardyloo and tomfuller for the helpful comments,

We did a glacier cruise out of Whittier 5 years ago with a one overnight in Girdwood- this is why we try to find some other activities this time. I will reconsider this part of the trip.
The Skilak road sounds interesting (on the way to or from Homer), is it OK to drive a rented can on this road?
The Skilak road was not the only dirt road that I drove the Subaru Outback on on that trip. Drive slowly and take the car through a car wash before returning it. I liked the B&B we stayed at on the hill above Homer.
One morning during our great breakfast, a cow moose walked by on the dirt road less than 50' from the dining room window.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 08:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd play the dirt roads like Skilak by ear. Some Junes can be rainy and dirt roads (especially ones like Skilak with heavy fishing traffic) can become rutted and full of potholes. The major car rental companies technically don't allow their vehicles on gravel roads; the main risk is that if you get in an accident their insurance won't cover you.

For what it's worth, here's a list of other places on the Kenai where moose might be seen, obviously depending on luck - https://www.alaska.org/destination/k.../moose-viewing

As an alternative, on several drives up and back the Knik road out of Palmer, I've seen wildlife - moose and black bear - pretty much every time. As part of the Mat-Su part of the trip, you might have a look at this route - google the places on it. https://goo.gl/maps/TxBderwL5nZ4ix5CA . In fact, you might have a look at the Knik River Lodge (haven't stayed there, heard good things) for an overnight in the valley - https://knikriverlodge.com/
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Now we have quite a few alternatives to choose from, some more risky, some more conservative. We'll choose while on the road base on timing and weather.
While in Mat-Su area we prefer to stay at one place and not to switch hotels. We tend to choose Abby's Place near Palmer, Knik, and Hatcher pass and not far from Matanuska. Great reviews and fair rates.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 12:27 PM

If your planning on going hiking were you might have to go on some dirt roads then I recommend a 4X4. Southern Alaska is a bit rainy and dirt roads can easily become mud roads that can leave a small front wheel drive vehicle struggling. If your going to stay on the main paved roads then any car is fine.