July Washington State Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have planned a trip to Washington State with my family of 5 (3 teenagers) for mid-July. I have hit a snag.

I was planning to stay one night (2days) at Mt Rainier before heading west to Lake Quinalt.
Then after olympic penninsula and San Juan Island, I had planned a short loop (1night 2days) from Everett to stay at Leavenworth then circle back west on 90 to Seattle.

I have now discovered that any room in Rainier National Park requires a 2 night stay.

Would you suggest 1.Two nights at Rainier and cut the short loop or 2. Two night longer loop through the mountains or 3. Is there a hotel outside of the park that has less of a stay requirement

Thanks so much for your help!!!!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Where did you read there is a two-night minimum for Mt. Rainier lodging? Are you checking on the official website for the national park?

http://www.mtrainierguestservices.com/

There is no 2-might minimum for either Paradise Inn or the National Park Inn. Those are the 2 lodges inside the park.

I just checked availability at Paradise, and as long as you are not there on th eweekend (Saturday night) there seems to be plenty of availability.

If you are looking at cabins OUTSIDE the park, then you probably will find 2-night minimums, especially on weekends.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM

I think enzian is correct-no min. But, even so, you might want to stay two nights and cut the loop short. I haven't been to Rainier, but I have my reservations for the 2nd weekend of August!!! Looks like there is plenty to do there for 2 full days,so you might as well go ahead and spend the night there too. I am doing the Sunday Brunch at Paradise. Anyone have any experience good or bad with that?
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

When I called to book it today through Mt. Ranier Guest Services they informed me I had to stay 2 nights during peak season (I would need to recheck if this is because this was a Saturday or not).
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Aramark strikes again!!
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM

If you are persistent, you will find a room for one night at Mt. Rainier or nearby. Rather than spend a night in Leavenworth, I believe it would be more satisfying to drive from the San Juans (Anacortes) to Winthrop via the North Cascade Highway (Highway 20) and to return to Seattle via 97A (west side of the Columbia River) and Stevens Pass Highway (Highway 2)--stopping at Leavenworth along the way.

HTTY
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM

Sounds like a fun trip! We went to Leavenworth last summer and frankly, we were not very impressed. I would actually skip it and spend more time in Seattle or even take a side trip to Canada - Victoria is interesting and Vancouver is really nice. You could also head south and see Mt. St Helen's and even Portland (were I live). Portland is like a smaller, more user friendly Seattle with warmer weather. San Juan's are great.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM

This is curious because the website will let you book one night online. And we have stayed there, at both Paradise Inn and National Park Inn, for one night on a weekend at mid-summer. Maybe policies have changed, but that doesn't explain why one can book one night online.

We normally go in mid-July. And you should know that for the past four years, there has been lots of snow at Paradise, starting at the parking lot, into mid-July. It is actually lots of fun to hike on the snow, but you need to be prepared to have your feet get wet. We have hiked up as far as the base of Panorama Point on the snow, enjoying little gardens of flowers that appear on the melted-out places. Coming down can be interesting if you are not used to walking on snow, but it is not steep enough to be dangerous, just lots of fun.

I have served as a volunteer "'Meadow Rover" in the park at both Paradise and Sunrise, and can suggest some hikes at either place if you are able to go. A good plan is actually 2 nights at Paradise, so you have a full day there, and then can stop for a few hours at Sunrise on your way back. That way you will see most of the park, including the very interesting features on the south side.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM

enzian,
I will arrive Sat evening about 6:00pm.
I plan on getting on the trailhead to Skyline/Panorama Pt by 7AM or so on Sunday. Then having brunch @ Paradise. Will probably take a nap. I was thinking about hiking Sunrise Lake around 4 that afternoon and then Grove of Patriarchs about 6:30 or 7. This will be August 12, so I am hoping that somewhere in the park there will be a good view of the stars as this is the best night of the year for meteor shower for the year. Then the Mon morning, I was planning on a short walk around reflection lake then back to Seattle. We have a 3:30 flight from SEA, but plan on hitting Pike Place first.

Is Van Trump a better hike than Skyline? Skyline just seems like the premier hike.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

I was able to book it online tonight for one night only. I'll see if tomorrow brings a phone call from guest services Hopefully not.
I did see the snow last July at Paradise. My family would be amazed as it was 110 degress at our house last July -- we'll freeze! I think waterproof shoes sound in order for the snow and then all the rain on the peninsula!
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 03:26 AM

You have a reservation# I hope??? I don't think they would be able to change it. Put up a fight if they do.

Did you end up at Paradise or National Park Inn?
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Booked Paradise Inn -- but got the call from guest services this morning. I think they are going to honor my web reservation. They are changing the web site now.
Looking forward to a great trip Thanks for all of your help. I am sure I will be posting again in June as I lay out the day plans.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 09:12 AM

hmm, I've never seen a two night minimum at any National Park lodge, cabin, etc.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM

It sounds like maybe they have changed their policy? But the website still says nothing about 2-night minimums, and still (as of this minute) allows one-night bookings. Maybe I better figure out my plans for next summer and jump on a one-nighter while I can.

kbouvette---even if there is complete snow cover at Paradise, it can be really warm while hiking. Waterproof shoes or boots are good but not necessary (my friend that i go to Rainier with hikes in Teva sandals and fleece sox, even on the snow!) Make sure to bring sunscreen and use it---it is easy to get burned up there.

spirobulldog, your plan sounds great, and will take you to both sides of the Mouontain. It is a full day, but I know you have the energy for it. The Skyline to Panorama Pt. loop is one of my all-time favorite hikes. Going around counter-clockwise is the way to do it.

The drive over to the Sunrise side is beautiful. You might stop at Box Canyon for a quick look. I haven't hiked to Sunrise Lake (they always want me to do my Meadow Roving at Sunrise itself, where more people are hiking). But it looks interesting form the overlook. It is a short hike an dyou will want to drive the rest of the way up to sunrise just for the views. It is a totally different view of the mountain. Maybe take the short walk out to Shadow Lake and a bit beyond to Glacier Overlook for views into the White River Valley, the glacier, and Rainier.

You should have no trouble finding a wide-open area at Paradise for enjoying the Perseid meteor shower. Just head up into the meadow (maybe up the steps over by Jackson Visitor Center, where there are no trees) or even from the parking lot, maybe over by the far edge overlooking Paradise Valley.