July 4th Vacation, Please advise for PORTLAND

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a weekend in Portland for 4th of July. There is the Blues Festival downtown and the big Fireworks show in Vancouver which I understand to be heavy traffic. Would you recommened staying at Best Western at the Meadows in Vancouver and travelling into Portland...or just staying downtown? Is parking a problem (i.e. expensive and hard to find)? Any favorite hotel with good location for downtown? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:33 AM

I would stay downtown if you want to hang out in Portland for most of the weekend and just go up to Vancouver for the fireworks. Just leave for Vancouver early. There's always a lot of traffic going into Portland from Vancouver, regardless of the date, but I would definitely leave for Vancouver pretty early. Parking is not too big of a problem and you can have your parking validated downtown if you spend more than $25 (I think it's $25) downtown. I don't know which stores participate in it exactly, but all the big department stores: Nordstrom's, Saks, etc. participate in that. You may have to prepare yourself to drive around for a little while to find a good rate. Smart Park has a pretty good rate usually. You'll see Smart Park signs outside the garage. As far as hotels downtown, I would highly recommend the 5th Avenue Suites on SW Washington St., the Hotel Vintage Plaza, the Governor Hotel, or the Benson. If you are set on staying in Vancouver and esp if you have kids, try Homewood Suites.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:17 AM

The Ft. Vancouver fireworks are spectacular and well-worth the trouble. The diplay lasts 45 minutes. I've heard it is the largest display west of the Mississippi River, and I believe it. And yes, traffic is very heavy.

The fireworks are shot from a barge in the Columbia River. A great place to stay to avoid traffic is at the Doubletree at Jantzen Beach in Portland. The hotel is located on the banks of the Columbia, just east of I-5, and people sit on the riverbank outside of the hotel to watch. The music is broadcast on the radio, so bring a radio if you aren't going to actually be at Ft. Vancouver.

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Another thought. If you want to stay near the Blues Festival, the Riverplace Hotel is right there. Check out the website for the festival. They have suggestions for parking and information on public tranportation, plus the entire schedule for the festival.
Here's the url. http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 09:33 AM
tpl

Hi, we'll be in Portland for the 4th as well. Are the Blues Festival fireworks within walking distance from the 5th Avenue Suites? Not too familiar with this area, but don't mind a good walk. Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:46 AM

If you do decide to stay downtown Portland (which I think you should), then do yourself a favor and get your room through Priceline. Bid for a 4-star in the downtown area and you'll get a great hotel in a great location. And you're almost guaranteed to get a 4-star in the $55-$60 range. We got the 5th Ave Suites for $55/night over Memorial Day weekend.

Check out www.biddingfortravel.com for a list of priceline hotels in Portland and for bidding advice.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:53 AM

What kind of room are you looking for? Are you traveling with kids? The downtown Marriott, indoor pool and all, is right across the street from where the Blues Festival is held. You might not have to leave your room to see the fireworks! It does have parking, but probably costs $20/night.

Budget allowing, I'd stay in downtown Portland. Even if you want to see the Ft.Vancouver fireworks, planning accommodations around that event doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Portland is a small, intimate feeling city. But you have to be in it to experience it.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the help. We are bringing two older kids along. Had a deal at the Hilton, not sure which one, for 70.00. I like hotels that include breakfast and we will have a car. I want to stay downtown and will check out the Marriott. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:58 PM

tpl,

The Fifth Avenue Suites are in the heart of downtown are a pleasant walk from the Blues Festival. You might want to ask the hotel the mileage. I'm guessing it's around two miles. You'd just walk down to the waterfront (five blocks) and walk along the pretty waterfront park to the festival.

Portland also had decent public transit and you would be staying in the fare free zone. I think the free zone extends to the area where the festival is, or goes very close. Fifth and Sixth Avenues are major streets for public transit, also (called the transportation mall), so catching a quick bus ride along it would be easy. Here is Tri-Mets web site:
http://www.trimet.org/index.shtml#
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:08 PM

One place I know for sure that has breakfast and is downtown is the Embassy Suites. It is in a renovated old hotel and is very pretty has a different feel than most of the Embassy Suites. Of course they also have evening snacks too. It is a little off the waterfront/downtown (like 2-3 extra blocks) but certainly walkable, I have done so.

I think it would be better to stay in Portland and fight traffic to Vancouver for the fireworks. I haven't even been because I didn't want to get involved in the traffic but maybe someday I'll just splurge and reserve a place to stay very close.

Downtown parking is best in the aforementioned Smart Parks (red sign with a guy in a hat). They are all over downtown and cheaper. Street parking is also occasionally available but I wouldn't count on it, especially that weekend.

It can get cool here when the sun goes down so if you are outside watching the fireworks be sure you take at least a sweatshirt if not some long pants.

Bring some money - no sales tax! Enjoy Portland, it is a nice city.