Search

July 4th in D.C.

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July 4th in D.C.

We are planning a trip to D.C. around the 4th of July. Any tips on participating in the activities around the capitol and keeping our sanity? We will be staying in the Dupont Circle area and have 2 - 12yr olds with us. Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Bring your own food, and lots and lots of water and sunscreen. It's usually extremely hot on the Mall on the 4th, and lines to buy the very expensive water and food on offer are very long.

I've done the whole day thing a couple of times, but now I prefer to go just for the concert at the Capitol and the fireworks.

Also, plan to walk to and from the Mall. Particularly after the fireworks, the metro will be jammed, and it would be quicker just to walk back to your hotel. We used to walk all the way back to our apartment in Arlington (about 5 miles) because the metro was just too packed.
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:26 AM
E

Oh, this takes me back--I remember hiking miles home to Alexandria, if you can believe it, b/c each and every Metro stop on the way was mobbed! Definitely plan on walking back, which shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour or so. I never had trouble buying food and drink while there, although it is overpriced. As for activities, try to check out the folklife festival; it features a different country and 2 states each year, and is usually very vibrant, with crafts demos, dancing, music, food, etc.; it will be in the center of the mall, between the rows of museums. Some folks bring blankets and folding chairs and stake out their spot for the fireworks and concerts. Be prepared for major crowds, move slowly, drink lots, wear sunscreen and loose, comfy clothes, and have fun!
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's lots of fun but the crowds can be intense. Have a plan for hooking up if someone gets separated from your group.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:39 AM

People come from around the world to see the Smithsonian Folklife Festival. You're lucky that you'll be here alrready. I would strongly recommend you spend a day or to seeing it. You will avoid the largest crowds if you see it on July 2nd or 3rd as many of the locals will be at work. Do not try to see the festival on the 4th, 5th or 6th, although you may want to come down to the mall on the evening of the 4th just for the fireworks. Here's more info:
http://www.folklife.si.edu/CFCH/festival2003.htm
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Syv

I well remember driving down from Canada for the July 4th long weekend in D.C. a couple years ago. It was great! I found Washington D.C. "the mall" area NOT to be tourist-friendly though. No parking, hardly any restaurants, certainly no cheaper "fast food" other than street vendors. I gave up on driving and left my vehicle at a subway parking area, & used the subway after the first day or two.

But other than that, a great trip. All the Smithsonian buildings, etc. free admission.

The fireworks/crowd was an amazing sight to see. A million people all trying to get to the subway/street after. Fortunately, I sat on the grass within only a couple hundred feet of a subway entrance, & therefore it only took "one hour" of standing like sardines moving a foot or two at a time towards the subway, until I was on one heading back.

I must say, a well-controlled crowd though. Everyone in good spirits, the helicopter flying overhead with its searchlight keeping an eye on the crowd. Guides/guards controlling the stairs/subway landing so the "press" of the crowd didn't knock people into the train tracks. Pretty amazing sight.