JFK to Middletown CT and back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to do a layover at JFK on the way back from vacation, and need to go to Middletown CT for a couple of days. What's the best way to do this? An air shuttle? A car shuttle?
Suggestions please.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 02:50 AM

Rent a car would the easiest (and maybe only). What do you need to do in Middletown as there is no public transportation there? I suppose you could take Metro North from NYC to New Haven then get a rental there. Could get a taxi or limo service there too but they will be expensive.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 03:55 AM

As thoiniere said, probably the best and cheapest way is to take Metro North to New Haven and rent a car.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Have to visit a sick relative in Middletown, but could probably change the itinerary to Hartford instead of Middletown. Still would have to use it as a stop over from JFK. So ... the same question, only from JFK to Hartford and back to JFK.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM

That doesn't change much. The best option would still be renting a car from New Haven. There is very little public transportation in CT. You could take Amtrak to Hartford then maybe try a cab but they are few and far between without calling.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Welseyan University (in Middletown) lists several car services that will take you from regional airports, including JFK. (They say it costs $75 for limo service from Bradley airport, in Hartford. )

Here is the list:

http://www.wesleyan.edu/about/transpor.html
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM

The trip via public transportation will involve a few connections just to reach New Haven: NY Airport Bus to Grand Central, then MetroNorth train to New Haven is the simplest. (There are a few other ways to do it via public transport, but all involve even more schelpping and time.)

You may be able to find a shared van service that will take you directly from JFK to New Haven, which would eliminate a lot of the travel agony. Here's a link to the official JFK listing of transport options, some of which serve Connecticut.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-t...n-service.html

Truly, the easiest to my mind is to rent a car from JFK and drive all the way (and I am a big believer in public transportation). Yes, you will have some unpleasant traffic initially while getting away from the airport, but you will probably need a car in Middletown anyway. Avoid the time and strain of traveling into Manhattan just to turn around and leave Manhattan and then get a car rental.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM

"the same question, only from JFK to Hartford and back to JFK."

I actually did this in December. It involved taking the Airtrain from JFK to Penn Station, then Amtrak to Hartford. IIRC, our plane landed at 10:30 and we got to Hartford around 6. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. I think renting a car is a better option.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Yes, you really really have to drive. It's the only practical way. Or pay hundreds of dollars for a limo service.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM

And won't you want a car in Middletown anyway? If you're there for a few days it will be the only way to get around.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Rent a car from JFK. I wouldn't bother taking a train to new haven and then renting a car. you will absolutely need a car in Middletown.