Jetset1- please help

Search

Jetset1- please help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetset1- please help

Can you help me find out how to make donation to Susan Butcher's memorial? She passed away yesterday. I never had a chance to meet her but always follow her Iditarod races and her struggles with leukemia was inspirations to my youngest son who died of leukemia seven months ago. Thank you
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
earl, I heard about Susan Butcher's death this morning. What sad news about a most remarkable woman. I followed her progress through her website which says her family will make a statement there soon.

My deepest condolences for your own tragic loss.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I am so sorry. I was in Anchorage one Feb. right in the midst of her Iditarod wins and the excitment was high. She did indeed win again that year. What a shame. I'd like to contribute too.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM

I just learned the news myself and it is heartbreaking for us Alaskans, as she contributed so much to the race and was a sterling person with a spirit that will long live on..
I will post back soon, and maybe have some information for you.
I know that there were many benefits to raise money for her medical costs and for her two young daughters and husband to fly rt to Seattle during her treatment. God bless her family.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM

earlxx and others~ Wells Fargo branches have been sent a memo and an account for the family has been established.. there is a web address for further information.[email protected]

Thanks you for concern. There have not been many lady mushers, and Susan was a true can-do type of person.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I'm sorry, it is early here and my brain is still waking up. That should be:

[email protected]

J.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'll send e-mail for more info. My heart is crying for lost such unique soul, for young beautiful daughters, her husband, all Alaskans whose lives she touched, for my young son who never had a chance to race. Please Jetset post soon.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM

This is so sad. I had hoped she would win her battle with cancer. There was quite a bit of information about her early days in Joe Reddington's autobiography. This is a quote from her about the mental attitude she needed to develop to become a winner. I think it is inspirational for everyone not just Iditarod competitors:
"I was satisfied with good enough, and never realized that I had one more door slammed in my face that I needed to open. It was myself. I had to work through that and it was very much a personal fight."
Earlxx, please accept my condolences for the loss of your youngest son.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM

You can imagine the shock I felt, barely awake, and thinking I was answering another "where in Homer do you stay" post?
Earl, I am truly sorry for your loss. I hope that you are able to return to Alaska sometime soon and visit a memorial for Susan Butcher.
We lost our beloved former Governor Jay Hammond this past year, and that was tough. He was a true pioneer, bush pilot, genuine independent and outspoken person who many of us grew up with. Do you know there are many Jay's up here thanks to him?
Certain people have that life force that affects many others, and Susan will certainly be remembered as one.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:23 AM
nkd

Who is Susan Butcher?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM
nkd

I got it

http://tinyurl.com/mlden
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM

nkd, you can use any search engine to find tons of information on Susan or try http://www.susanbutcher.com/.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:08 AM
nkd

I got it. I remember as I read it. Would like to donate too.