Search

Jet Lag to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Linda

Jet Lag to Hawaii?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but if we fly from Richmond, VA to Hawaii, it's a total of 11 hours going, 14 hours returning (with layovers). Would we have jetlag like you do going to Europe? Maui is 5 hours behind us, I think.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Kristin

Should be fine going, jet lagged when you get back. Have fun!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Linda

Is it the time change, or the length of the flight, or both, that cause jetlag?
Why would we only have it coming back?
Thanks.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:57 AM
jpm

Linda,

People experience Jet Lag in both directions. Many experience flying east: Let's say you are going to France. The time difference I believe is 5 hours. You leave Richmond at 7 p.m., fly 6 hours to Paris, thus arriving at 1 a.m. in the morning (to your body) but it is 6 a.m. in Paris - the beginning of a new day.

The opposite would be flying to Hawaii. You leave Richmond at 7 p.m., fly 8 hours (I'm making up times here) and arrive in Hawaii at 3 a.m. (to your body) but it is only 10 p.m. in Hawaii.

Many people have more trouble with the first scenario. I have always had more trouble flying west - seems like it takes me 2 to 3 days to fully adjust.

However, you will probably be so excited about being in Hawaii that you will quickly adjust. My advice is on the first day (you'll probably arrive late) is go directly to bed and get a good nights sleep. The next day be sure to be outside and get plenty of sunshine, after that you should be fine.

Have a great time!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:00 AM
xxx3

The time change is the major culprit in "jet lag" -- your internal clock has trouble re-setting itself. It's just a multiple of the disorientation you get when we go to and from Daylight Savings Time!

The lack of sleep and exhaustion from traveling do contribute. Just ask tired travelers who travel far north or south in the same time zone!

Traveling westward is easier for most people because the adjustment involves merely staying up "later" than usual, and sleeping in the next day. For instance, Hawaii is 5 hours earlier than you, so when your body feels like it's midnight, it will only be 7 PM in Hawaii. Force yourself to stay up til 9 or 10 (i.e., 2 or 3 AM "old time"), and by the next day you'll feel OK.

By contrast, traveling eastward is more disorienting for most people. Going to bed early is never easy.

One trick that works for me is to re-set your watch as soon as the plane takes off. This tricks your head into thinking it's on the new time already!

If your schedule permits, you can also re-adjust yourself an hour or two before you leave by getting up later and going to bed later, so that leaves less of an adjustment when you arrive.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Linda

Thanks for the replies!
I was really ignorant in this area.
Appreciate the help!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:19 AM
kwl

Linda,

I don't have anything to add to the above messages because I agree with what they are saying. But I did want to suggest for your trip to Hawaii that you properly plan your return flight so that you have enough time to rest/catch up on time prior to returning to a normal day. For instance, we are heading to Hawaii in May and our return flight leaves HI at 2pm or so. We have a layover at LAX and then take the redeye back to DC, arriving here at 6:30 am. We plan on sleeping on both the plane and for a few hours once we return home. Ideally when we rise around noon, we will still have almost a full day and will be close to "time adjusted" by the next morning for work.

Have a wonderful trip - I can't wait for ours!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Lenore

I believe jet lag is caused mainly from flying through several time zones, although the length of the flight is a factor too. I don't understand why traveling east to west is easier (less jet lag) than west to east. Can somebody please explain this? I posted a similar question a few weeks ago. Posters gave me all sorts of helpful suggestions on how to prevent or lessen jet lag. Do a search under Hawaii.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:22 AM
kal

Linda, We can always tell the people from the east coast when we're on Kauai.
They are the ones who are out for walks around 5-5:30a.m.

Our first trip over in '89(we're from No Cal)found me in the hotel lobby wondering where I can get a morning paper? They told me it hadn't arrived yet. I wondered why? When I got back to the room I noted it was only about 4:30 a.m.
Yep...I'm was an official "haole".
Kal

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Tom

LINDA We went with kids last year our goal was to keep them up as late 2pm the night before. NOT HARD TO DO WHEN THEY ARE LEAVING FOR HAWAII IN THE MORNING, then let them sleep in our flight was 12 and we had a hotel room at the airport. We managed to keep them up until 12pm thanks to the airport pool, this seemed to work for us. They weren't up at 5:30 more like 7:30-8:30 the first day in Hawaii the following day was even smoother.

When I have not done this it takes me a about 3 days to get use to the time zone. Not a big deal but I don't like wasting one minute so I will probably do this again this year.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM
susan

Linda, One thing that hasn't been addressed, and one poster said rest up and get out in the sunshine the next day. Dont know if you've been warned or not, but consider this a warning. Be careful in the sun. It can ruin an entire vacation by trying to get it all on the first day. I've seen it happen Burned to a crisp and then have to stay inside the rest of the time. Sunscreen and be sensible. Sure you heal and in several years you can keep having your skin cancers removed!!!!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:45 AM
kal

Susanabc,
You are stealing my thunder. Nothing but an SPF30+ from here on in for this boy. And a I got the big ol' scar that is finally healed to show you why.

....Especially if you take your kids.
And don't be fooled by any overcast sky and breezy day. I got my worst burn on a day like that on Kauai.
Thx again for reminding us.
Kal

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:05 AM
sss

Studies have shown that exposure to light does help you adjust to the new time zone. I don't think anyone was implying you do this without protection, still good to remember that the overcast can be deceptive. A fair skinned child with us got her worst burn on a breezy over cast day on the windward side of Oahu last summer.

Something else that can help is a good scalp covering hat (not mesh ) and plenty of water. Kept telling guests this last year they would not listen to me until one person came down with heat exhaustion. Nothing severe but everyone needs to get that head ache so they can pay attention next time. About the scalp, first thing dermatologist check (in Hawaii) for skin cancer is on the scalp it can hide here especially if you change your part no one thinks of putting sunscreen here. Wear a hat!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:31 AM
jpm

I posted about getting out in the sun and I fully agree with the use of sunblock - and plenty of it. As one who is thinning on top (and widening in the middle) I had people laughing at me for rubbing sunscreen onto my bald spot - but guess what - I didn't get sunburned on the top of my head.

Do be careful on overcast days - and if the kids are swimming, be sure to apply often and thickly! My kids did great their first 7 days. On the 8th day they were boogie boarding all day, didn't apply enough sunscreen, and both got a mild burn.

And I agree with the hat idea, especially a hat that covers your ears.

Have a great time.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Iza

From my experience with dealing with jet lag when travelling to Europe - exposure to light definitely helps to adjust quickly. The time of day is important. If you are travelling west, exposure to light during late afternoon or evening hours helps, if you are travelling east, make sure you get sunlight in the early morning. So if you get to Hawaii late afternoon, don't be tempted to crash in your hotel room, get outside and take a walk instead. On your way back home, if you have a stop over in the early morning hours, go outside the airport building and get some sun and exercise through taking a brisk walk.
As to sunscreen in the tropics, people laugh at me but I always have to apply sunscreen to my ears. For men, it is important to put sunscreen on tops of their feet (women tend to wear sundals and open shoes so their feet are used to the exposure; men tend to wear regular shoes, so when they switch to sandals or bare feet on vacation they suffer!).

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:20 AM
ja

kal,
Glad to hear your surgical site finally healed. As I am very fair-skinned (my Ukranian/French/Basque/Italian bf calls me "hinky", but fondly), I already have SPF#) on my list of "must get"s for our October trip to Kauai. I burned to blisters a couple of times in Mexico and Central America, and I can't emphasize enough how much of a damper that puts on the vacation. Not to mention how expensive Aloe gel is in tourist destinations - I now carry a copious supply with me!
ja

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:57 AM
abc

ttt

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Ruth

I don't know if you've bought your tickets or not, but you might want to check and see if you can make one stop either coming or going. We're going on United frequent flyer miles and will make a stop in San Francisco for a couple nights on the way back. That allows us to avoid the redeye flight from Hawaii to the West Coast that kwl described.