Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do you make that 10 hour flight go by quickly?

Notices

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Marie

I'm down to 24 days, and I can't wait, however, I am starting to dread that flight of almost 10 hours nonstop. Looking for suggestions of things people do on flights that long to make the time pass other than the obvious.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Margot

Hi Marie -

Re: the issue of a 10 hour non-stop flight, have just "been there and done that" with a Newark-Honolulu round-trip! Unfortunately, options are limited as to how to make the time go by relatively painlessly, and I'm sure you've considered just about all of them. In our case, there happened to be several good films that helped pass about half the flying time, but that's not always the case. Other than reading and sleeping, I've found that these situations put me in a position of doing things I'd never allow myself to do at home, i.e. crossword puzzles, making lists of things to do, jotting down ideas and random thoughts as they come to me to reference at a future point, organizing, i.e. finances, etc. For this reason, I have sometimes been grateful to be a "captive audience" to help me focus on various tasks and development of future plans and events. Hope this makes some sense to you, and I'll leave you with the old adage that "sometimes it's not the destination, but the journey that counts" - in your case, hope you get a lot out of both! Enjoy!!!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:00 AM
ghaddess

masturbate, make love to your friend, mile high club, eat mass pills

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:49 AM
bill

You absolutely have to bring a cd walkman with your 4-5 favorite CD's. Also, if you have the means and don't mind lugging a computer, a DVD movie on a laptop is awesome.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:53 AM
sss

Get in a plane that has tv's on the back of each chair. Give in to the fact that there is nothing you can do and forget about how long it will take you to get to your destination. Read that book you have been putting off reading.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:54 AM
xxx

xanax or valium usually does the trick for me. I have a severe fear of flying and since 9/11 I would probably have to take a whole bottle of one or the other. I can usually get my Dr. to give me a few but will have to rethink travel plans that involve air travel as I don't think there are enough pills out there to get me on a plane. You can always play travel games such as: count the number of times the same kid runs up and down the aisles with no apperant supervision, or how many times the person behind you kicks your chair, before you politely say something.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Serena

As suggested previously I find that a Sony Walkman keeps me entertained for the long haul. I go the local library and check out books on tape that I have not had time to read or that are very light and entertaining. There are many tapes available and they are easy to pack. Reading or watching movies seems to make me ill, so I avoid that. Crossword puzzles are good. I have noticed that some people bring along needlework that they enjoy doing.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:07 AM
sss

Unfortunately if you are totally happy about where you are going as I have been on that Newark to HNL flight spoken about in my last post reading, sitting still and forgetting about the time just aint gonna work. I like to talk to people, on that flight I found someone from Kauai had not been home in a year and was happy to talk about it at length. If you are flying internationally, frequently you will be on the plane with foreigners returning from vacation and they will be happy to talk with you also. Always cracks me up when someone wants to talk to me because I am an American I find this rare outside the U.S so you should savor it. They don't have to be sitting next to you do the rap around the john up to first class and back down to where ever you are sitting stroll. Gaze out those big exit row and rear cabin windows its beautiful. There is usually a window or bathroom clutch group just as bored as you.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:46 AM
lee

Bring a long a portable DVD player if you have one. Or alternatively, some airports have kiosks that rent them now

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:51 AM
MM

This sounds really obvious and stupid and even alarmist, but pay attention to your physical condition by getting up at regular intervals, doing isometrics in your seat or small repetitive exercises at the back of the plane or whatever. Anything that keeps the circulation a little bit stimulated and the muscles moving. Not just once but maybe every couple of hours. I do things like rising up and down on my toes, narrow leg lifts, etc. -- anything that doesn't get in other people's way. Who cares if you look demented?

I find -- aside from worries about "coach embolisms" -- it keeps me from getting quite so cranky and fidgety and achy.

Other than that, comedy tapes/CDs that I can listen to once and pass on, books on tape, puzzles, that novel I always wanted to write.

If you like to write at all, I'll bet starting your autobiography (or a biography of your parents, or some such) will pass the time quickly.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Cass

Make a mental or real schedule, dividing the time up into chunks, as if for a work day. -- 1 hr. for dinner, 90 min. for movie, 1 hr. for magazine, 2 hrs. for music and dozing, 1 hr. for crossword or writing a letter, 2 hrs. for reading a book, etc. etc.

That will enable you to imagine the 10 hr. stretch in shorter, more manageable pieces so it won't look so long and you don't imagine yourself sitting and listening to the same 2 CDs for an eternity.

Then ignore the schedule because, after all, you are on vacation!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:06 AM
CF

Actually the first 8 hours or so seemed to go quickly for me, it's the last two that draged on forever. Like a pregnancy!

The time passes, they bring magazines, there is a movie, they feed you about 6 times during the flight. Get up and walk around, there are always people gathered in the rear of the plane chatting. My biggest problem on a plane is stying awake. I hit that plane and I'm gone! Sometimes before we're out of the gate. THAT really passes the time! LOL Have a great time!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Tricia

Marie,
Along with the above suggestions, we also bring along a small magnetic chess set.
Have a great vacation!