Search

Jersey Shore Area Getaway

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jersey Shore Area Getaway

*** Weekend Getaway From Pearl City, NY ****

"New-to-area" thirty year old with first-time date wants to spend a weekend on the beach using either Middletown or Red Bank as a hub.

Would like decent night life area included.

QUESTION:
Which beach in that area has the least "thug / gang" factor. Meaning nice atmosphere without the fear of being mugged? Or should I move to a different base (limited by gas prices and time)?

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:38 AM

>Which beach in that area has the least "thug / gang" factor. Meaning nice atmosphere without the fear of being mugged?<

Are you serious?
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I have been to the Jersey Shore for 20 years, and I've never heard of anybody mugged, or worried about being mugged. Except maybe by seagulls going after your lunch.

But I don't know the northern part very well so will let someone else answer your question. Atlantic City has the most nightlife.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM

In case you are serious...all beach in New Jersey are safe. For a "true Jersey Shore" experience, ie, boardwalk games, fun, clubs, etc. go to Point Pleasant.
This site gives facts for the beaches.
http://www.shore-guide.com/nj-beaches.htm
Red Bank doesn't have a beach but does have good restaurants,a nice downtown and two premier theaters, Count Basie and Two River Theater.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I LOVE New Jersey beaches. Definitely Point Pleasant, and if you want a more tranquil atmosphere, try Bay Head. Cape May is always wonderful, but a longer trip and pricier. Enjoy, but watch out for the undertow! The Jersey coast is amazing. Enjoy!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM

"Meaning nice atmosphere without the fear of being mugged"

LOL. welcome to the area.
There are no problems in NJ beaches (that I'm aware of). I pity the fool who would try to mug someone on the beach or the boardwalk.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Using Red Bank as a hub, Spring Lake would be a good choice if you want an 'upscale' type of town. It has a boardwalk but no rides or such, and the beach is nice. The Manasquan/Point Pleasant area is nice, a little more family oriented. Your chances of getting mugged on the Jersey Shore are pretty slim, although towns like Asbury Park, Bradley Beach, and Neptune could be a little sketchy at night.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM

You must be new to the area! At worst, the shore "thugs" might cut in front of you in line for funnel cakes.

But why are you setting up "base" in Red Bank? Why not just stay in an actual shore town? Either way, from that area, I'd suggest Point Pleasant or Bradley Beach or Island Beach State Park.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM

When I was a little boy (about 5 years old), I was playing in the ocean on Long Beach Island with my older brother. He was towing me in the shallow water on an inner tube tied to a rope. All of a sudden, a HUGE wave slammed into us. It sent my brother tumbling in one direction, and me in another. I was upside down in the tube, with my little butt sticking up in the air.

After my face dragged along the bottom for a while, I finally managed to surface again. I was coughing up water that I had inhaled, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why my mother hadn't come running to save me. When I looked up at the beach where she was sitting, I saw that she was laughing hysterically, clutching her sides and unable to move. So were most of the other people on the beach, and several of them were pointing at me while they chuckled.

That's when I looked down and realized the wave had ripped my swim trunks off, and I was standing in the water absolutely, totally buck-naked…exposed in all my glory for the world to see. Eventually my mother gathered her wits and ran down to wrap me in a towel.

But, other than having the ocean steal my shorts, I've never heard of anyone getting "mugged" on the Jersey beaches.

So don't worry about thugs on the beach. Just make sure your suit is a tight-fitting one.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Steve, I think your "theft experience" is my favorite post ever. I've had my own share of lewd encounters with rogue waves at LBI
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM

I live in Middletown but wouldn't recommend it as a base, but why not base in Red Bank? Sandy Hook is nearby and has lovely beaches as well as a great bike path running along the whole peninsula. There are a lot of restaurants and shops in Red Bank. It has a true main street. You won't get mugged. I think you have been watching too much Sopranos.
Baz
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM

stevebarr, I think I saw you that day!!!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Also, if you want good nightlife, you might want to try Bradley Beach; Belmar is nearby with loads of bars and clubs.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Joan - Well, if you did see me that day, you didn't see much! Remember, I was only five years old at the time.....and the water was rather cold.......