Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nightlife , the Jersey Shore in summer-where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my girlfriends are in our 20's and we want to rent a house on the shore, but we have no idea as to what city to go to. We want the beach, and we love to go out at night, what is the best place to go for nightclubs and bars with people in their 20's-30's?
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM

Belmar is filled with young people. Lots of bars and clubs in that area.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM

Be sure to get the RIGHT Belmar. There is also a Belmawr that isn't anywhere near the beach.
You may also want to check out Long Branch. There are lots of new places being built along the ocean there.
If you want to go further south, Wildwood is usually hopping. Ocean City is dry, but close enough to other "non dry" towns (Somers Point) to have fun. Just beware. The NJ prices are VERY HIGH. It will take quite a few of you to find a house that's affordable ANYWHERE in NJ
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:24 PM

IMHO although there are many new condos being built, Long Branch has more of an retiree population. An alternative to Belmar would be Point Pleasant Beach.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:50 AM

no question, belmar is the biggest party place. seaside hgts. has places to go too, and the boards. but boy has that gotten seedy over time. seaside park is nicer to stay in and there are some less expensive rentals that are only blocks from the beach. also you can walk to the boards and to the bars at the north end near the hgts. you may want to look into atlantic city or ventnor. and brigantine is just north of ac. good luck, all prices will be high, but it's vacation!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM

I've done the summer share thing for two summers - both in Manasquan. IMO, the Manasquan/Sea Girt/Spring Lake stretch is the best - beaches are nice, the communities are beautiful, and there are some great bars for weekend-night revelry but the communities are not dominated by the younger crowd....but if you want a bigger 'scene' you are probably better off in Belmar, Point Pleasant, or down further in Seaside.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I have to disagree with most people as far as the best places to go. Its Not necessarily Belmar but it really depends on the crowd you are looking for. I dont know how to explain this. I am 33 and grew up in a more urban area in N. Jersey and never liked belmar because of the pick up type bars and the fact that half of my town was in belmar. Me and my girlfriends always leaned towards Avalon or Townsends Inlet Area of Sea Isle and even Margate. These areas are more south. We all liked to drink, party and go out dancing as well. They are my college girlfriends and are all from Pa so maybe that is why we went farther south but also we just never liked the clubby type place but we loved to go out.
We still do! My other opinion is that the beaches are nicer the more south you go.
They are wider. Belmar also has a serious drop off. My all time favorite place though is Long Beach Island. Great beaches and a ton of bars/restaurants/pubs and clubs. The beaches here are really nice and the place is really really safe. We had rented there for several years as singles and now do so with our families.
If you can tell me more about what you are looking for I will tell you honestly which place may be best.
Oh by the way stay away from Seaside. We called it Sleazside back in high school and that was in the late 80's.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:05 AM

No matter where you wind up, if you have an opportunity tosee them The Nerds are a fun dance band to see (website:www.the-nerds.com).They look strange,but they sound awesome...
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Agree with liasun71. Sea Isle City or Avalon are both great places. Sea Isle tends to the college people and Avalon is the place you go after you graduate (when your not ready to grow up)! I am 31 and still rent for the summer in Avalon w/ my friends and all the husbands.

Can't go wrong with either place.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:47 PM

I second Avalon...it's a pretty beach, and is quiet and relaxing during the day. If it's raining, Stone Harbor is nearby for shopping, ice cream and candy. At night, Princeton's is the place to go - PACKED with 20-somethings, and a different band in each room. Jack's is another bar with good bands.

There are lots of 20-something Philadelphians renting houses in Avalon in the summertime, so there are plenty of house parties too. I go down there from NYC (just 1 weekend a yr tho...I stay in a hotel w/3 or 4 girlfriends) because I like it better there than the northern NJ beach towns. I've been doing it for 8 years. Sadly, my friends and I are now feeling a bit old for it now at age 35, and may not return.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Lets not forget about Fred's Tavern in Stone harbor then you can go for Pizza in that back alley biggest slices ever!
Love the south jersey shore!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I'll chime in for Sea Isle as well! My friends and I partied there for years! The only reason we aren't going this year is because we are saving for Hawaii and, well, like Suzanne, I'm feeling a little old, LOL! (I'm 33.)

Sea Isle has an outdoor bar called the Carousel (part of the Springfield) which has a nice happy hour and is outside. La Costa also has an outside bar with a raw bar. The happy hours are great and a lot of good bands play down in Sea Isle. The beaches are nice and not too crowded. There are a few good restaurants and the people are always very nice.