Jenny is coming to America

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Robbyn

Jenny is coming to America

My friend Jenny, her daugher Rachael, and her sister Mandy, (all from the U.K.)will be coming to New York in September and it will be their first trip to the United States.

I just thought it would be a nice gift to print this out and mail it to her with "Wishes for a good time" from other people in the U.S. along with what state your from.

If you've ever been to N.Y. you could also add some tips about what to see and do. I think this could be a very nice welcome if you won't mind... thanks so much!

Robbyn from Indiana

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:38 PM
a

Specific suggestions could be made if we knew their interests -, theater, museums, food preference, etc. Also indicate the arrival airport and area where they will be staying so travel info, airport to hotel, can be provided. Once there are some specifics lots of helpful information will be forthcoming.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:45 PM
To Rachael and Mandy

Get your finger out and cross the pond, ladies.
Come to NYC, you'll be off your head with all that's to be seen. Oy, Bob's your uncle, you'll have a great time.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Robbyn

Geez, I ask a little favor and I get my head bit off. Sorry to have offended
anyone.

Blaine, everyone from Indiana is not like me. Didn't you learn anything from Mr. Roger's? Everyone is different. (I'm so glad Blaine, that you were not at Ellis Island welcoming the emmigrants, they might all have gone back.)

I only thought it would be a nice little greeting to give my friends. Something unique. This is a big adventure for them and I thought they would get a kick out it. I didn't realized my request would be something that would be so upsetting to people. Sorry (

P.S. Flying into JFK, hotel reservations already made...staying in Manhattan, likes French food and art museums.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:45 PM
good

Maybe it could have been said in a little nicer tone but the truth is-why would anyone be interested in a bunch of strangers sending Good Wishes to your friends?
I would be happy if friends did that for me but it would mean nothing coming from a bunch of strangers.Especially not even in NY!
Robbyn,better get out the old thinking cap and think up something better for your pals.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:59 PM
pam

uh huh...hmmm...oh yes.....here we go...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...archText=print

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Lyn

I think it's a fine idea! Don't know if this is still popular to do at graduations or not, but when I was a college student, you could almost count on having a video camera in your face every time you turned around near graduation. People brought them to school and asked "people on the street" to give their friends/relatives a graduation message on camera. They'd say something like, "Hey, will you wish my brother Joe a happy graduation?" Then they edited everything together and it sounded like the whole world was rooting for Joe. Cute.

Same goes for someone who has a tragedy or triumph that's reported world wide (like the miners in Pennsylvania) and they receive goodwill messages from strangers all over the world. People enjoy it.

Jenny, Rachael and Mandy, greetings from Colorado and welcome to the United States! Hope you have a wonderful time here and enjoy it as much as we enjoyed the U.K. on our visit.

All the best, Lyn

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:55 AM
Another No

Robbyn, if you want to give them a nice gift, send them something US-ish before the trip or have a bottle delivered to their hotel room.

(Are self-esteems so low that you have to beg for well-wishes from strangers?)

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:25 AM
xx

Robbyn dear, this is why Mr. Gates invented copy and paste. Copy the whole thing, paste it into Word or your e-mail to your Brit friends and then delete the loser, immature, lack of good taste comments from those like Blaine! There are a few of us still out here that care!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:42 AM
Forrest

I'm not an intelligent man, Jenny, but I'd make a good husband.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:06 AM
Frank

If I was going to print something out for a friend, I'd take a little more care in my spelling and grammar.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:07 AM
h

I'm so happy to see that Jenny's daughter Rachel is coming to the US.

Instead of merely wishing her welcome on this travel board, I'd like to invite her to stay with me in my bachelor pad. I'll be sure to show her a good time!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:32 PM
Amy

Jenny, Rachael and Mandy,

Can't wait to see you again Jenny, and meet your daughter and sister. We are going have a blast in NY!

Robbyn posted to fodors for me, kind of like this one she is doing for you, when I was going to England. It was so cool to read everyone's responses. Robbyn printed them out for me and bound them together. We took the booklet to England with us, it was a great travel guide. A wonderful idea (thanks Robbyn!)

Have a safe trip and we will see you soon!

Amy

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:40 PM
PDiddy

Jenny, Rachel, and Mandy,

Best wishes for a great trip. We are pleased to have you here! I'd love to take you for a spin in my tight new SUV and show you around town. I have a tv in the steering wheel and some Colt 45 chinglin in the cooler. How 'bout we break out the crys-taaal and shake that ass.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:46 PM
jb

Robbyn,

What a great (and thoughtful) idea!

Tell your friends welcome to America and specifically, keep an eye out for movie stars and other famous people in NYC. They are everywhere...BUT you have to make sure your eyes are open to see them. They are very low key there.

Tell them to eat Corned Beef on Rye when in NYC, go to Little Italy for dinner, walk past the Dakota (where John Lennon lived) and eat "A SLICE" (of pizza) at a corner pizzeria.

I hope they enjoy the US as much as I've enjoyed the UK!

jb

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:51 PM
Jen

Welcome to the States!

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:00 PM
Wilson

Jenny, Rachael, and Mandy,

Best wishes on a smooth journey and a wonderful time! We are very glad to have you here, and hope you take home lots of unforgettable moments and great memories.

Regards,
Wilson, Phoenix, AZ, USA

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:49 PM
Robbyn

I had pretty much given up on this and then it popped up again. I just wanted to thank everyone that posted a nice greeting.

Only 23 more days!

Robbyn

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:55 PM
Paul Revere

THE BRITISH ARE COMING! THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:02 PM
Roger

J, R, and M,

As a Yank west-coastie, I'm very envious of your upcoming trip. I love New York and would love to be in your shoes right now! All the best with your trip.

Cheers!
Brad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -