Search

Jazz Fest in NOLA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jazz Fest in NOLA

We are going to the NOLA jazz fest this May. It is our first itme. Is it worth it to spend the money to buy one of the VIP types of tickets? Can you come and go? What time does it start in the am and end in the pm? Any other helpful tips and hints?
Thank you for all of your help on this.
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM

I forget what time it starts, but it ends at 7 each day. We did not get VIP tickets, and to me, it would be a total waste of money. It's for people who MUST sit up front everywhere they go, etc. I'm not sure if you can come and go. We got there each day around 12 and stayed until 7, then went out for a nice dinner after a shower and a rest.

It's a blast and I can't wait to go back (but have been busy in May the last three years, so it will have to wait until 2014)
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 08:57 AM

I would get a regular ticket. Get a schedule of performers for the day and go from tent to tent to see your favorites. The food is great-all kinds of Louisiana dishes. You can take the shuttle from the French Quarter and other locations so there is no need to have a car there.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM

>

Never is at these types of festivals, especially considering the price differential between VIP and general admission tickets.

>

What's that mean? Enter and exit the grounds during the day? Go to the website and find out or email them. At other festivals (Deluna, Austin City Limits), if you have a multi-day pass, you get a wristband and can do whatever you want but if you have single-day tickets, you cannot leave and re-enter.

>

There is a website for the Jazz Fest, you know. To check out previous lineups, go googling. Here's one that is indicative of what you'll deal with: http://www.nola.com/entertainment/wi...cubes2.pdf?700

>

Yeah:

(1) plan ahead (performer schedule will come out at the end of March) and know where the main stages are. The worst aspect of Jazz Fest is that the #1 and #2 and probably #3 headliners for each night will play at the same time on different stages and there will be about 2-4 other acts at the same time as the headliner. This is different from Deluna Fest or Hangout Festival or ACL or Midtown Music (Atlanta) or even Bonnaroo (for the main stages) in which the night's headliner basically performs on its own or against one other act that is not usually of headliner magnitude. Jazz Fest basically has a similar number of acts as Bonnaroo in a small time frame (Bonnaroo runs all night; Jazz Fest ends at 7).

(2) These festivals (other than Bonnaroo) run on time. If the schedule says X will be on at 7:00, then X will be on no later than 7:05. Very little of the diva BS you get with stadium or arena tours. When I went to ACL, Mos Def decided to come out for his 6-7 pm slot around 630. At 7, the next stage over had an act scheduled and they started on time and overran Mos Def. Similarly, another group overran its time slot and offered another encore, which was drowned out when the neighboring stage's act started up. The only late start I saw that had a late finish that was acceptable was Pearl Jam at Deluna last year - but they headlined the night and started late as a courtesy because Dwight Yoakum had come on late for his set and overran his slot. And if you think a long-concert band like Foo Fighters or Springsteen or Dave Matthews is going to go for three hours in a two-hour slot, you're wrong.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 11:15 AM

This year's lineup (but not the schedule) is out:

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 12:38 PM

I really disagree that the VIP tix are just for people who have to be up front whereever they go, as someone said above.

The VIP tickets have covered areas at two of the stages, and tents associated w/them also, so you can get some cover from the intense sun and heat. And it does get very hot and very bright sun in NOLA in early May. And you get access to the air-conditioned VIP lounge to rest out of the heat also. And private restrooms away from the huge crowds.

For those w/limited mobility or who are heat/sun sensitive (like me, I take BP meds that make me sensitive to both) that aspect of the VIP tix is key.

Those tix are pricey but for some people it means the difference between going and not being able to go.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 01:24 PM

>>

Well, except for people who have medical or other physical reasons need those facilities (shade, air conditioning), I still believe most people WANT those things but don't NEED them(and those are the very same people who need to sit up front for everything). It's good that you mentioned it in case the OP needs shade and/or air-conditioning.
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM

Shade and a chair can be had in the gospel tent - if they still do it that way?
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I haven't been to this music festival - I have been to others.

My opinion is - even if you don't strictly *need* shade and air-conditioning and better restroom facilities, a very large number of people will have a highly enhanced experience if they have those, and it might mean the difference between being able to enjoy a much longer day and hear more music than not. Based on this description, I know I would greatly appreciate all of those amenities from a VIP ticket, and it would have nothing to do with "having" to sit up front.