Japanese Restaurant in NYC

Oct 5th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Japanese Restaurant in NYC

I a looking for a great Japanese restaurant, preferably near the theatre district, to take someone special to on Oct. 19. Any reccomendations? Thank you!
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM

If by Japanese you mean sushi, then I love Sasabune. But, like a lot of sushi places, the decor is just okay. Also, it is on 73rd, so not near the theater district. Order the Omakase menu and 'trust me'.

Nobu 57 would be closer. I'm not the world's biggest Nobu fan, but others are more wowed than me, and it is, objectively, quite good. It also delivers a better atmosphere and decor for a special meal than most sushi places.

Branching out beyond sushi, I have heard good things about (but have not been to) this place:

http://www.aburiyakinnosuke.com/

If money is no object, then Masa is an option, but the menu is somewhere around $500 per person. If your wallet is a little thinner, then Bar Masa is cheaper and still excellent. Nice decor, but minimalist. Both are in the Time Warner Center.
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:58 AM

try sushi zen on 44th and 6th.
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:05 AM

Also gets good marks in Zagat; I've not been, though:

http://sushiden.com/484/6th_Ave
Oct 5th, 2010, 06:32 AM

None of the really great Japanese restaurants are near the theaters. The closest famous place would be Nobu 57 on 57th st between 5th & 6th. They are known for their omakase (chef's choice multi course dinners which are very expensive) more than for their sushi. I think the best quality food in the area is probably Sushiden linked above. There are many more Japanese restaurants in midtown east, further from the theaters. In that area, Hatsuhana, Shinbashi, Sushi Yasuda and the place travelgourmet has linked (which I haven't tried) would all be good choices.
Oct 5th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Sushi Yasuda is an excellent restaurant and an easy walk from many theaters for those with no mobility problems. If it were my money and I wanted good sushi I would head there and sit at the sushi bar.

http://www.sushiyasuda.com/
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all the reccomendations. i will check them out. we should have enough time between theatre and dinner, so we don't necessarily have to eat in that area. i just thought it would be most convenient, however, the food and atmosphere are more important than the convenience!