Reload this Page >

January Birthday Where to Go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Kelly

I'm looking for a not too frigid winter mini-vacation (4 days?) where I can enjoy some nature, hiking, gourmet or at least healthy (not fried) food, scenic beauty and not much traffic. What I guess I want is a smaller town feeling in a city that still has some cosmopolitan or at least eclectic flair. I've been to Sedona, Phoenix, most of Florida, San Francisco, Seattle, most of Texas, including Austin and San Antonio and Savannah, GA so I need something different (just in case anyone thought of these). Any ideas? Oh, budget is probably not a concern but I don't want to spend 4 days at a golf resort.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 02:06 PM
pam

My suggestions would be San Diego, the Florida Keys (IMO if you've never been to the keys, you haven't seen the best of FL) or Palm Springs.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 07:13 PM
steve

If on your Savannah visit you did not visit Charleston SC I'd suggest it. It is a smaller city with lots to do and some very good places to eat. Not much nature or hiking however, but a beautiful city.
For warmer weather and perhaps some nature Southern California would be a good bet.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 10:44 AM
kam

Second the suggestion for San Diego. Or, go to Palm Springs and plan to visit Joshua Tree National Park. Can't promise really gourmet food in Palm Springs, however. If you don't mind the possibility of rain, you could think about Santa Barbara and the San Inez Valley--nice B&Bs, good restaurants, pretty country drives, good wineries, Los Padres Nat'l Forest, beach walking etc. But, you could run into rain at that time of year.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Sandy

Why not a spa vacation? Great way to eat healthy, get some excercise and pampering. The Phonenician (sp?) in Phoenix is good. Do a text search on spas and you will find more information.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 08:55 PM
x

I would highly recommend the Red Mountain Spa near St. George, Utah. There wasn't a person that I met there who said they wouldn't do it again. In fact, many there were returnees. From what I hear, the place was highly rated by In Shape as well as in Spa Finder magazines. I would highly recommend it... and they also have a web site. The food was good (and healthy) and we were treated to daily indulgences such as massages, etc.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 11:34 AM
xxx

new mexico

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 03:06 PM
travellyn

Death Valley?

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 12:18 PM
travellyn

I realize that the above response is rather cryptic. My husband and I took a nice trip to Death Valley a few years ago. There were a lot of Europeans there in March (very few Americans). We thought it was interesting and strangely beautiful. The hiking and exploring there was good, as was the area around Lake Mead. March was getting a little too warm for us, and we thought January would be nice.