Reload this Page >

Columbus or Cincinnatti Ohio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Don

I usually try to plan a small getaway (maybe 3 or 4 nights in late October or November. I was wondering if either of these cities would be a good option during this time. How's the weather around this time? Is there anything special going on? Any comparisons between the two cities?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Pat

The weather can be strange in late October/November. I remember as a kid some Halloweens being quite warm and others where there were snow flurries falling.
Columbus is basically a college town and it reflects that.
Cincinnati has a very vibrant (if sometimes vacant) downtown and a rich cultural base. Check a few websites; there might be a Broadway show to check out or a Bengals game to see if you're into that. The CAC is world class, and the art museum is fantastic. The restaurants are fantastic, particularly downtown.
So I guess I'm recommending Cincinnati, but maybe a Columbus-ite could weigh in too.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:22 AM
BuckeyeChuck

Pat-When is the last time you were in Columbus??? It sure has changed and fall is our best weather. Columbus has a world class ballet, Symphony, Center for Science and Industry (COSI) world class shopping with Easton Town Center featuring Nordstroms, Polaris Fashion Place the largest mall in Ohio and one of the largest in the Midwest, great Art Museum, Short North Gallery Hops, North Market, German Village, Victorian Village, 2 world class arenas, NHL Hockey Team, newly refurbished Arena district downtown with great restuarants and nightlife, Brewery District with Restaurants and Night Life, Ohio State University, largest college campus in the US, old Worthington, more restaurants per captia than any other city, test market for new products, great metroparks, world class zoo, more golf courses per captia than any city its size, Kelton House, Thruber House, Comedy Clubs, CATCO theater, replica of Santa Maria, refurbished State House and more. Fodors voted Columbus a great hidden getaway last winter and it is affordable!!!

Check out the website: www.columbus.org/ or columbuscvb.org/

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Neither

Don't you have any other choices???

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Wondering

Neither-Don't knock a place until you have been there. If Columbus is so awful why did Fodor's select it as a great getaway location????

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Sue

Don-There are some great things regarding Colubmus on the other thread about "Columbus Thanksgiving Weekend."

Here are some url's for you.

Worthington Inn
www.worthingtoninn.com

Easton Town Center
www.eastontowncenter.com

Ohio Village
www.ohiohistory.org/places/ohvillag/

Great Southern Hotel:
http://keepcook-n.com/restaurants/westin/pano.html

Columbus Convention & Visitor's Bureau
http://columbuscvb.org/main.htm

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:24 PM
jan

Loved interesting answer's to Don's question, how about Cleveland?

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Nookie Monster

Columbus reminds me of my prom date: flat and dull.

Cincinnati remains vibrant, if your idea of fun is dodging the occasional race riot and police beatdown.

NM

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Sue

Nookie-When is the last time you were in Columbus? Columbus has changed a lot in the last couple of years with the addition of Easton Town Center, an NHL franchise, 2 world class arenas etc. Don't knock a place until you have been there recently..

BTW-Fodor's picked Columbus a surprise destination last winter. They said there were lots to do in Columbus AND it was affordable.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Nookie Monster

Sue, I agree with Fodor's--I would be surprised, too, if I learned that Columbus was my destination.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:59 PM
OByeO

Debating between Columbus and Cincinnati is kind of like asking which is better, Ex-Lax or Milk of Magnesia?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:25 AM
MM

Columus is a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to vacation there.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:00 AM
xxx

Don - Columbus might be a little bit better if you're looking at air connections. Cincinnati is hostage to Delta. Columbus might have a few more things to check out at that time of year, hockey games, Buckeye hype, COSI and shopping. (I'm curious as to where NM lives and where he chooses to vacation. I've only ever seen him slamming other locations.)

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 06:38 PM
Dave

Cinci. My wife and I went to Columbus and had a nice time, but there is a lot more to do in Cincinatti. Go to the Ol Train Station for the museums. Mt. Adams is fun and has good restaurant. The Zoo is very good as well.

Of course if you go to Columbus you have to put up with the Buckeyes. And if it's after they lose to Michigan again, they will be in a bad mood. ;-)

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 04:50 AM
big daddie

I went through Columbus once--it's a nice hiccup amidst the corn fields. Didn't see any point in stopping, though, it's full of the local-yokel crowd in bib overalls and pick-up trucks.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 05:18 AM
harrison

Columbus may be a little dull for some, but we don't worry as much about the police drive-bys as our brethren in Cincinnati.

http://www.citybeat.com/current/porkopolis.shtml

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Chuck

I am really getting tired of people here slamming Columbus. Columbus has changed a lot in the past several years with Easton, the Areana District, Brewery District, Italian and German Villages, Short North with their trendy art galleries and restaurants, COSI on the riverfront, a nice art museum. If you haven't been to Columbus lately, I urge you to come and see what the city has to offer instead of slamming it.

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Chuck

I don't appreciate that kind of reply, FedUp. Let's keep it civil, shall we?

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Parchesi

Harrison I've got an uncle who lives across the river in Covington. Thought he said that the feds were in town recently to clean up the police dept after the riots. What's up?

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:50 AM
S

Speaking of Cincinatti, we're heading thru there soon around dinnertime. We'll be coming thru on I-71. 6 hours on the road, 6 to go. Me, one tired hubby, 2 tired children. Got any suggestions good enough to entice us to stop and not snack in the van on the way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -