Reload this Page >

Jackson, WY - please compare Rusty Parrot with Amangani

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

In a year-long celebration of a milestone birthday, I am travelling to a number of places that have been on my list for a very long time. So, my companion and I will be making a trip from southern Montana through Yellowstone and Grand Tetons into Jackson in the first two weeks of September. Cost is not an issue - I want us to have experiences to remember and treasure for years to come.

We are people who like stunning scenery and the outdoors. We are both very interested and involved in the arts. I work intensively with people for a living and need a lot of contemplative/quiet time when I'm on vacation; my companion is a fine art photographer who is always looking for a good photo op. We have hiked all over the Southwest, Europe, South America. We appreciate good food, but we sometimes tire of the "haute cuisine" foisted upon us by wannabe "fancy" restaurants. Been there, done that.

I don't think we're too fussy,we do not like glitz and glamour, and have no need to impress anyone. In fact, except for our travel experiences, we prefer to live below our means. When it comes to travel, we'll do whatever it takes to have a quality experience ... and we know that does not always require breaking the bank: One of the most unforgettable meals I ever had was a crispy and intensely-flavored clam roll from a little shack by the side of the road in Cape Cod. Likewise, a favorite memory involves a week-long stay at a ramshackle youth hostel in Pilar, NM (close to Taos). I DO have a problem, however, feeling like an idiot if I pay big bucks for something and its value does not match the price.

This will be our first trip to Jackson, Wyoming. The Rusty Parrot gets rave reviews, although it looks like it might be a little too claustrophobic and close to town (carnival atmosphere in early September?). Also, the teddy bear moving around the room every night during turn-down feels a little too precious and cheesy to me. Nevertheless, I understand the service there, and the food, is outstanding. Amangani's setting looks magnificent, and its photos are stunning ... I love the idea of a pool after hiking all day. The architecture appeals to me. Is it too far-removed from an authentic Jackson experience? Or does the scenery and service make up for it?

After staying at the Big EZ Ranch in Big Sky and the Jenny Lake Lodge, we'll be in Jackson for 5 nights, and prefer not to switch hotels. We'll explore the town, and eat out in town on a number of nights; mostly, we'll be hiking and doing nature-focused excursions from there during the days. We hope to see the rodeo, too!

If you were going to Jackson for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, which hotel would you choose for the finale to a year-long birthday celebration (I'm milking it!)? Pros? Cons?

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'll start by not saying I'm an expert of the area but have been a couple of times. We stayed at the Snake River Lodge after the place had changed management and they built a hugh new spa. I used the spa and felt it is one of the best around. The hotel itself was so so. Don't know about the 4 season next door as it was about to open when we were there. Than stayed at Teton Mountain Lodge and had a wonderful room/condo type with hugh kitchen and living room area. The food again there was okay. But both times took the time to look around and went up to Amangani and felt it was a bit stuffy but very relaxing and zen like. Asked to see a room and it was simple but elegant. As none of us really know each others likes and comfort levels it wasn't for us. The Rusty Parrott was to earthy. But know of people who have stayed there and loved it. Don't know if any of this helps but we did and do like to go in the first part of September in our travels as it is a beautiful time of the year to go anywhere. Good luck.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM

Hi Expert Trip Planner,

All I know of the Amanjani is that it's up on a bluff outside of town and faces the Tetons. I've been up there, but don't have the budget to even set foot inside. It is next to another property, the Spring Ranch, which has been there much longer. It's a bit of an inconvenient location, up a steep and windy road. Personally, I wouldn't care to stay there if I was planning to be out and off hiking everyday and going into town for dinners every night. Gorgeous views though, but lots of places around Jackson have that.

To me, if you are already staying at the Jenny Lake Lodge (which is not very far away from town) you are going to have the quintisential Tetons experience there.

town will still be somewhat busy in Sept, but nothing like the summer months.

Have a wonderful trip. You're going to love it!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:57 AM

I just check out 4 seasons on
tripadvisior.com and recieved 5 stars by all reviewers. It is a good location in Teton Village and quick drive to Jackson. That is where I'll stay when we go back. In the Village you have all types of food and trails to hike right out your back door. Don't rule out Amangani if you are looking for being a little off the beaten track.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:14 AM

I've stayed at neither, but have been in both (just to look around and make a pest of myself, which I'm good at.)
Even though the Rusty Parrot gets great reviews and it is a lot more convenient than the Amangani. BUT -- it is a little too teddy-bearish for my taste.
The Amangani is a little too sterile. It's like someone who never has a hair out of place on their head.
The Spring Creek, on the other hand, is more rustic, but still very nice. Both the Amangani and Spring Creek (which is literally a stone's throw from the Amangani) have great views, but, yes, the drive to/from those locations to town gets old after about the second or third time.
Have fun. (I got married in Jackson, so it's very near to my heart.)
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Dear ExpertTripPlanner - your trip sounds wonderful - happy birthday. May I suggest two restaurants that we enjoyed last summer? The Bunnery had a delicious breakfast (they also serve lunch and dinner). In addition, we had a fun dinner at the Gun Barrel which is just a short drive out of town. Don't let the name scare you - very good food.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
GerdaFaust

What about staying at both? Very different; each magnificent in its own way!