jackson Hole wyoming

Search

jackson Hole wyoming

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackson Hole wyoming

we plan to go to Jackson Hole and wanted to drive from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole.What advise can anyone give us. should we do it, how long does it take and are the roads okay?
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Favorite vacation of our family....So yes go!

We flew into Jackson Hole so I don't know about the drive. We rented a car and had no trouble navigating once there.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM

There are plenty of route choices from SLC to Jackson, WY and we've traveled most of them with either a motorhome or travel trailer.

One of the easiest routes would be to take Interstate 15 north up to Idaho Falls, Idaho and cross over on Hwy 26 to Jackson. There is only one major mountain pass going this way and it's a good road. 324 miles and approx 5 hours 1/4.

The shortest route and probably the most scenic is not the fastest route. From SLC travel north on I-15 for a short distance and then take Hwy 89 to Alpine, WY then take Hwy 26. It's been a few years since we did this route. Most roads were fine then but you are pretty much out in the boonies most of the drive. There are also two major mountain passes on this route. One you might consider pretty rough. This route is 275 miles and approx 5 1/2 hours driving.

If you want to avoid any major mountain passes you can take Interstate 80 to past Evanstan, WY and take Hwy 189 north to Jackson. This route is 300 miles and approx 6 hours driving.

Utahtea

T
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Hi cooley,

I live in Park City, UT and go up to the Tetons and Yellowstone almost every year. I always go thru Evanson, WY on Hwy 89 up on the east side of Bear Lake, thru, Star Valley, thru Alpine and the Hoback Jct. to Jackson. This takes me 4.5 hours in a car. Add 30 min from the SLC airport.

The most scenic route, like Utahtea says, it up I-15 thru Sardine Canyon to the Cache Valley (Logan) and up thru Logan Canyon to Bear Lake and along the west side of Bear Lake, then thru Star Valley, WY (gorgeous) and on to Jackson. this route take quite a bit longer due to windy mountain and canyon roads and slow RVs, but it's very beautiful.

You might like to go one way up and the other on the return.

The roads are just fine, nothing to worry about. Just pass cautiously if it's a 2 lane road.

Have fun