Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone: route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I arrive at the Jackson Hole airport this Saturday (July 10) at 6:00 PM. We're renting a car and driving to West Yellowstone. Googlemaps gives two possible routes: 1. Via US 191 (which goes through GTNP and Yellowstone and is said to take 2 hours, 36 minutes; 2. Via US 20, which appears to go through Targhee National Forest and is said to take 2 hours 55 minutes.

Do you have a recommendation of which to take? We would like to arrive while there is still some daylight. I understand that there will be construction delays in GTNP and Yellowstone, so I wonder whether or not the time estimate for Option 1 is realistic.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Why is West Yellowstone your goal and not the two national parks you'll be traveling through?

With a 6pm arrival, I'd get a room in Jackson WY and enjoy the drive to/through the parks the next day. You shouldn't have a construction delay in GTNP but will probably have a 30 min wait as you go through YNP.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I wasn't more clear. We have a hotel reservation in West Yellowstone for our first few days so we can make that our base as we explore YNP starting Sunday morning. Then for the latter part of the week we have a reservation in Jackson, for exploring GTNP.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Why not change the first night reservation to a hotel in Jackson and then continue on with your plan?

I would be concerned with a 6pm arrival. Is your flight connecting through another airport? What if there are delays? IF your flight gets in on time and if your rental car is sitting there ready for you, then you can get on the road around 6:30ish. It will be about an hour's drive through GTNP and then about 2 hours to West Yellowstone. So, if everything goes according to plan, you'll be getting in to West Yellowstone around 9:30. If you get caught in the construction, it will be around 10pm.

But, will you be hungry? If so, where do you plan to stop to eat?
What if the plane IS late? The scenery you will be driving through is (IMO) some of the most spectacular in this country. As much as I love Jackson Hole and Yellowstone, I'd not want to drive through it in the dark.
What if you do encounter some sort of problem? What if your cell phone doesn't work in the park. If you have Verizon, you'll have pretty good coverage in GTNP but none when you are in Yellowstone between "civilization".

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/inte...emap/index.htm

We just got back and although I loved the trip and am very comfortable driving in Yellowstone, there's no way I'd make the drive after dark. If you add one night in Jackson, you could land, get your rental car, go into town for dinner and be prepared for an early start on Sunday morning.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:12 AM

After your plane lands, you collect luggage and rental car, there is no way you are going to arrive while there is still daylight. Do you want to encounter a big moose or bison on a winding road at night?
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM

I haven't driven the second route, so I can't say if it is the better choice.

I have been in YNP driving after dark when we visited. We did drive slowly because there is always the very real possibility of bison (and other critters) on the road and they do not move for cars. One evening we stayed in the Lamar Valley until after dark watching wolves, then drove back to Canyon. I'll always remember glimpsing the silhouette of a line of elk walking parallel and above us where the road was cut into a hill. If there hadn't been a moon out I wouldn't have even known they were there and so close to the road. So, bottom line is that people do drive through the parks after dark to return to their hotels, but you must be prepared to drive very slowly even if there is no traffic and weather is good. I don't know what speed those driving time estimates are based on.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM

The sun will not set until about 9:30pm on July 10th and the light will remain dusk until about 10pm. You will have plenty of light to meke the drive to West no matter which route you take. However, I would take the drive north through GTNP and YNP.

DO take care to drive the speed limit so that you don't strike any wildlife that may suddenly bound in front of your vehicle. There have been a couple of bear/auto accidents in the last month where the bears have been killed.

~doo
Bozeman, MT
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 10:02 AM
maj

Although I am in total agreement with what has been said above, if you are insistant upon driving to West Yellowstone that late, I would definitely take the US 20 route. You are at least driving on "real" roads.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:30 PM

I agree with doo on the times/dusk BUT that's IF your plane is on time. If it's not, you are going to be driving at dark through some of the most beautiful scenery on earth with animals who are used to using the road as their own paths and stopping places.

Re the window between 9:30 and 10pm. We were in WY/MT three weeks ago, including the longest day of the year and TWICE we arrived at our stopping point AT dark (during that 30 minute time frame). It added considerable stress to the evening. Based on that recent experience there is no way I'd drive from Jackson to West Yellowstone as night draws near. No way. And I've driven the route (in reverse) before. We landed at noon in Jackson Hole and were beat by 3pm. Of course we woke up at 3am to be ready for the town car at 4am, but after a full day of traveling we were tired. IMO starting off a great leisurely trip with that kind of stressful drive (trying to beat the sunset) would not be an enjoyable start of a trip. I'd MUCH rather be at my hotel room before 7pm and have an option of where to have dinner. You aren't going to have many dinner options - unless you stop on the way and therefore get in after dark.

I'm not familiar with the US 20 route but I am familiar with roads going through national forests. Be on wildlife alert at dusk and dark on that drive.

I'll shut up now. I really think staying the first night in Jackson would be a better option all around. I wouldn't want to be starting the drive at 6ish but especially not at 8, 9 or 10 if there are any problems with the flight.

Have a great trip! It's a wonderful, amazing place.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the thoughtful advice. We have felt somewhat hemmed in by non-refundable hotel reservations in West Yellowstone. However, I think if our plane is delayed, we'll probably just need to "eat" the initial night in West Yellowstone and find a place in Jackson. In any case, I'm excited that we're almost there!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Okay. That sounds like a great plane. If you do get in late, be sure to call them in West Yellowstone so they know you are still coming.

I'm relieved
Stupid I know. But, after getting in twice at dusk/dark (and suffering the additional stress) I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If you get in on time and your car is ready, you'll hit West Yell right at dark - if you don't stop somewhere for dinner.

Dornan's is only a couple of miles from the airport and you could swing by the grocery to pick up drinks and order a sandwich from their deli.
http://dornans.com/grocery/

Or, you could call the pizza/pasta place when you land and order sandwiches,etc to go and pick it up on the way out.
http://dornans.com/home/

Take a left out of the airport toward Yellowstone and Moose is a couple of miles up the road. Take a left towards Moose and in about a block turn right into the Dornan's complex.

Okay. Done. Enjoy!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
maj

Be aware that you may have a problem finding a place in Jackson (you are going at the height of the season which may also impede your time line of going through the parks). Like noted above, if everything goes well (animal road jams, etc. along with the plane) you could make it to West Yellowstone before dark but I am still of the opinion that you would be better off on Rt 20. We've only travelled that way once and stopped along the way so I can't speak for exactly how long it took but aside from Teton Pass (which is just outside of Jackson so you would taking it in the light -- it is also a highway but a twisty mountain road) from what I remember the rest of the way into West Yellowstone (you will be in Idaho on the other side of the Tetons) was a two lane highway going through at least one small town and not a bad drive -- I would think even in the dark. At least you appear flexible and have options for whatever occurs -- which is a good attitude to have visiting Yellowstone. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM
maj

Sorry -- just wanted to clarify -- my first best option would be to stay in Jackson. We arrived at 6 or so once and travelled to Canyon, getting there just at dusk. But it was late August with little traffic (only a couple of animal stops) and no possible construction delays. Our next trip we arrived about the same time and had elected to spend the first night in Jackson because as noted above, it was stressful trying to beat the dark.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM

We just returned from Yellowstone. We drove from West Yellowstone to Salt Lake City on Tuesday, July 6, 2010 on 20. Avoid this route if possible. We encountered road construction with considerable delays just a few miles outside of West Yellowstone. We experienced more road construction between Rexburg and West Yellowstone.

We flew to SLC instead of Jackson because flights were cheaper from DFW and because we wanted to avoid the road construction we experienced last year driving from the Jackson Hole Airport to YNP.

The drive from the Jackson Hole Airport to West Yellowstone is not that treacherous at night. It will take about three hours so you will arrive at West Yellowstone after dark. Just be sure to let the hotel know that you will be arriving late; some of the smaller establishments close at 9:00 PM but if you let them know that your arrival will be late, they will make arrangements to let you in your room.