It's Amtrak Auto train next week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're doing a 2 week vacation in NE section of the country. Taking the auto train from Sanford to Lorton R/T, then driving up to DC, Philly, and finally NYC. In DC we're going to Charlie Palmer Steakhouse for b-day, my wife's treat.

Any suggestions would be great and welcomed.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 06:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it cheaper for you to take your own car both ways on the Auto train instead of taking one of the silver service trains to Washington and renting a car? You could also take the train onward from Washington to Baltimore, Philadelphia and NYC without renting a car if you only wanted to see the cities.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

It's not cheaper plus we can pack up the car with all the stuff we need for camping and whatever else we need. We will camp outside the cities. It will give us the freedom to do just that.

http://www.cherryhillpark.com/index.cfm
http://koa.com/campgrounds/philadelphia/
http://www.bakercamp.com/

and then a drive to Pittsburgh to see our aunt.

and finally

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...sgap/index.htm

The car fare is $340 R/T on Amtrak.

You tell me what is the better option?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

I meant to say

"It is cheaper, less expensive" or however you want to to look at it. The trip is set, we will have our Hummer with us. We're leaving in a week, the tickets for us and the car are already paid for, so all we're looking for is any helpful hints as to what to do?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck with driving and parking the Hummer in the cities.
Good idea with packing camping gear etc. in the Hummer.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

We'll be taking public transportation into the cities so we don't have to worry about parking. In fact, Cherry Hill campground near DC has it's own DC system bus stop that takes you to the metro or whatever it's called. The other campgrounds are close enough to either bus stops or trains so we will drive there, park and take buses or trains into the cities. I've done much research on that part, but just wanted any suggestion/advice on what to do once we're in the cities for the day, especially Philly since I've never been there and my wife has not been to any of the 3 cities.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Is the Sebago Lake campground where you plan to stay for your time in NYC? And take public transportation from there??

IMO, NYC will be the most difficult city in which to park a Hummer (though when they were popular, there certainly were seen on the streets from time to time).
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

ggreen

read my 11:05 post.

No we will not drive into the cities. There are nearby bus/train stops by the campgrounds, where we can drive to, park and then use the public transportation into the cities.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Yes, so read the first part of my comment. If you're looking to visit NYC, staying north of the Tappan Zee Bridge is not a good option.

You will be driving to a commuter train with all the local commuters and trying to find parking in their lot. Then a 2 hour train ride one way to Grand Central - or take the very convoluted public transit route through NJ that google maps suggests, which also takes 2 hours one way.

Not to mention, the Port Jervis commuter train line was severely damaged by Hurricane Irene and to my knowledge is still running bus service shuttles as a replacement. (The repairs are scheduled to take a number of years.)
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Please stop worrying about our transportation options. I have that covered.

Instead give us some walk around option packages once in the city. We will be visiting the city for 2-3 days during the day. It's been years since I was in New York so having some kind of a plan would be nice.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Well then you need to tell us what your interests are, your style of travel, etc. It's a big, big city with tons of different stuff to do.

I'm not worried about your transportation options, just stating the facts from someone who lives here. Lake Sebago is upstate, not NYC metro area.

Plus, if you're relying on public transit, commuter rail especially, that will impact your visit:
- If you're coming into the city from outside of it, what will be your starting point. Will it be Grand Central Terminal? Penn Station? A PATH train? 125th Street? Each of these puts you in a different area of the city.
- The length of time in each day will vary depending on your train schedule and other factors.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

For starters, my wife was born and raised in Rochester, NY but has never been to NYC.

So, I would like to plan for her is to visit the obvious, The Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, etc... but that said, I would like suggestions for the out of the way places which may be interesting. Ethnic neighborhoods, interesting museums, and finally some mid-priced restaurants that just blow your mind away, Italian, Polish, or?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Try doing a search -- there are tons of threads with suggestions for both NYC and DC things to do and restaurants. This is a great one of where to eat in NYC
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...d-for-2012.cfm
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Statue of Liberty is currently closed (according to Fodorites comments on other threads), but you can get a great, free view of it by taking the Staten Island Ferry out and back. Or do go to the museum on Ellis Island if the immigration history interests you - it's very well done - where the ferry goes by SoL.

In a similar vein, check out the Lower East Side Tenement Museum (guided tours only), preceded or followed by a classic sandwich at Katz' Delicatessen. The LES used to be very ethnic but has become very "in" in the last 10 years, so it's a mix of old and new.

Fodorites often recommend going to Top of the Rock (at Rockefeller Center) instead of Empire State Building, because you can purchase a timed ticket and not have to contend with the lines at ESB.

Chinatown in-and-of-itself isn't an overly charming neighborhood, but there's great eats there, and a good little museum of Chinese in the Americas. From there, walk over to Brooklyn on the southern side of the Manhattan Bridge - with views of lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge - to the artsy, formerly industrial neighborhood of DUMBO. Have lunch or at least an ice cream, then return via the Brooklyn Bridge walkway, or subway. The Manh Br will be virtually deserted whereas the BK Br is where all the tourists throng; both end within blocks of each other on the Brooklyn side.

I know doing a search on here isn't the most straightforward, and this might not be much more help... But as a starting point for looking through posts, you could click on my name and read through any related threads. I often comment on NYC topics, as do other frequent posters. And I'm not saying this facetiously - I have found Fodor's guides and their Destinations info on this site to have good ideas.

The website menupages.com is a great resource for NYC restaurant listings by neighborhood, with logistics info and user reviews.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

We're out of here in few hours. 2 weeks of pure fun, discovery, fun, discovery, etc. etc....
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Here is a short report on the autotrain

The trip is scheduled for 17.5 hours, overnight. We were delayed about 2.5 hours each way.

On the way out there was a fallen tree on the tracks and we had to wait for "tree police" to come and arrest the tree...

On the way back the tracks were flooded in Florida so the train had to wait, go slow, etc just be safe.

We didn't mind at all.

It was a great experience otherwise.

We had a private sleeper, free sit down tablecloth dinner service and breakfast in a restaurant car.

The car was not damaged in any way. We saved around 2000 miles of wear and tear on the car and the fare for the the car was about $340 R/T so it was much cheaper than what we would have paid by the time we drove up to that area and on the bonus side, we got to relax, drink, have some fun, sleep, meet some interesting people, watch a movie, anything but drive.

The service was wonderful, both, the room attendant and the restaurant/lounge people.

I highly recommend this train.

We're already thinking about doing it again next year.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So glad it all worked out for you.
What did you wind up doing in Phila?
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Glad to hear such a positive report about the train! (I love train travel myself.) If you get a chance, do tell what you liked "on the ground" during your trip!
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:15 AM

This just sounds better and better. If only they had put the terminal between DC and Baltimore so those approaching from the north could avoid the nightmare 495-95 traffic getting to Lorton!

I thought your discussion of the economics of the trip was good. Too few of us make decisions that intelligently.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that free wine is included up to 11pm. The explanation is that since everybody has to have a car on this train, Amtrak did not want any liability with drunks driving the cars in the morning.... The train is scheduled to depart at 4pm from either city and to arrive at 9:30am next morning. You have to check in no later than 2pm with the oversize car or 3pm with a regular size car.

and finally, it takes anywhere from about 1/2 up to 1 and 1/5 hours to get your car back. We averaged about 45 minutes each way. It's a "lottery", no rime or reason, no policy, just have to wait until your number gets called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -