Itinerary Suggestions/Comments - DC Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting the final touches on this family of 4's trip to DC and Williamsburg. As is my habit, I'm posting our plans hoping that the experts out there will advise if we are overdoing it, under planning, backtracking unnecessarily etc. I had previously posted one day's schedule and the tips I've received have been incorporated. Any suggestions for meals would be great too. Only thing planned is lunch as Cascade Cafe at National Gallery. Staying at Radisson Barcelo near Dupont.

Sat
Drive - arrive around noon. Check into hotel, swim, lunch and otherwise unwind from 8 hr drive.
(could use a suggestion for late afternoon/evening - maybe Arlington Cemetary using tourmobile?)

Sun
10am Washington Monument
Noon National Gallery
4:00Break for swim and dinner
7:30 pm Drive/walk to Monuments using suggestions from Bardo

Monday
830am Zoo
1:30 Museum of American History
4:30 Break for swim and dinner
7:30 National Archives (open until 9pm)

Tues

9:00 Air and Space or Natural History
11:30 White House Tour
Break for lunch/swim
4:00 Head to Baltimore for Orioles/Red Sox game
7:00 Game time

Wed

8:00am Mt. Vernon
Noon Drive to Williamsburg
8:00pm Legends Tour or other evening program - intentionally not doing a lot of Colonial Williamsburg as kids will be museumed out after DC but want them to see a bit of it.

Thurs
All Day Busch Gardens/Water Country

Fri
All Day Busch Gardens/Water Country

Sat
Drive home.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the air and space and natural history museums don't open until 10:00. That would not leave to enough time to justify a trip there before your 11:30 white house tour. If your two kids are not truly into art, I wouyld suggest cutting the time planned for National Gallery and spend some of that time at Air and Space (or Natural history) instead. Other than the above, it's agressive, but doable.

Have you thought about making dinner reservations at one of the taverns in Williamburg? That could be a first night thing or even done after Water Country as you'll probably be done there around 5:00 pm anyway with the likely heat and humidity.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

skipop - thanks for taking the time to comment. I thought that the museums would open earlier. I double check that. If 10am is correct then I would agree and make changes.

As far as the kids and the National Gallery - its the eight year old that is into it. She has specifically requested seeing Alexander Calder's mobiles. Time allocated includes lunch, gift shop and represents the most time we would spend there.

We do have a reservation for a dinner in Williamsburg but I'm leaning against it at this point. Will play by ear. Thanks again.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM

FYI. The main Calder Mobile in the lobby of the East Wing has been taken down and won't be back up until 2005.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Suggest you get tix for the WBG evening program prior to the date you're driving down ... the more popular events often sold out by noon. Call 1-800-history & you can charge on major credit card.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:29 PM

MikeT - thank you for the heads up on that Calder Mobile. I'll have to prepare my 8yo - she'll be disappointed. I understand there was at one time several other Calders in a different section of the Gallery - so hopefully this will be still be the case.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:30 PM

rb- We'll definately book whatever we do that night before we leave home. I big on making arrangements in advance and not leaving things to chance. Thanks for the suggestion.