Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best things to do in DC with 10 and 6 year old girls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Washington for four days in February. We'd appreciate tips on what the best things might be to do with our 10 and 6 year old daughters.

Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM

If you put "DC kids" into the search box, you will pull up a number of relevant discussions . . .
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We took our daughter with us to DC when she was 11. Her favorites:

Natural History Museum
Arlington Cemetary - changing of the guard
Capitol
Seeing the White House - exterior only
Mt. Vernon
Archives

Good luck,

MY
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM

I think the Smithsonians would provide you ample things to do for 4 days, but it really depends on what they like.

I would say:
Natural History - get them started on being mesmerized by super-sized jewels on the 2nd floor, also, lots of stuffed (as in taxidermy) animals on the first floor. Also, the IMAX movies are short and real cool, as I've seen my fair share of them. And you'll be able to catch the orchid show there.

Air & Space - iconic pieces from the American History museum, currently closed for renovation, are being shown here right now. Some items of note are Dorothy's ruby slippers, Kermit the Frog, and Abe Lincoln's hat, among others too many to mention. Air & Space itself is a cool place to go, as there are hidden pockets where docents give talks, and lots of hands on exhibits.

The National Zoo - see the pandas! Also, I think there were monkeys in the trees when I was there over the summer. Don't know if they're out and about during winter, but I'll find out when I'm down there 2/12...

Check out http://www.si.edu for more info. Typically, the museums are open 10 am to 5:30 pm.

There's also the National Aquarium on Pennsylvania Avenue and 14th Street. Feedings of its permanent occupants are at 2pm.

I think it's also cool to take a tour of the Treasury. Tickets can be gotten starting at 8am, with tours starting at 9am. More info here http://tinyurl.com/fa25p

Enjoy DC...
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
FLmom

Hi Bruce- My girl enjoyed the zoo, we got online from home and watched the zoo cams for weeks before we left and she just loved meeting her animal friends in real life.

The museums are a must; I think she was torn between Natural History and Air and Space as her favorites.

We took the monuments by moonlight tour and that was especially beautiful.

What a great trip, have a blast with your girls!