Search

Itinerary LA to Gold Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM
mpf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary LA to Gold Beach

Our family would like to take the jet boat ride on the Rogue River. We have only six days, and would like the kids (10, 12,14) to enjoy the drive/trip as much as possible from LA to Gold Beach and home again.

Although boring, we plan to take the first and last 400 miles on the I-5. Any suggestions as where to make our stops with a little adventure and sightseeing along the way in Northern California?

I'm having a difficult time in dividing up that portion of the trip. We would like to take the all day boat trip, if possible.

Looking forward to a few suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:54 PM

If you have the time, stopping in Sacramento to do a driveby of the capitol, go to Old Towne Sacramento, and visit The Train Museum. Kids and adults love it. Have a good trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:10 PM

the 101 cost 5 farm land now something for a change 395 many new things. cal is divided in half north to south by mountians can not cross east to west except very few places best tip join aaa free maps
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a little confused on your route. Gold Beach is on the coast; I-5 runs inland; you'll have to cut over some place. Do I understand that you'll do so at the Bay area, and use I-5 only on the Bay Area-LA legs both north- and southbound? Or are you planning to cut over to the coast somewhere north of Sacramento?

If the latter, there are relatively few fast routes to take, the quickest being (a) Calif. SR 20 past Clearlake(which feels like it takes forever), (b) SR 299 from Redding to Arcata (which actually does take forever) or (c) US 199 from Grants Pass back down to Crescent City then back north to Gold Beach. Although that route involves "doubling back" it's probably the fastest overall because it avoids some pretty slow going between Eureka and Crescent City on 101. 199 itself is a gorgeous road, passing through some excellent Redwood groves just outside of Crescent City.

Taking 101 all the way is not really that slow - it's freeway all the way to the Bay area, then you can use I-280 to get around the Peninsula and SF traffic, then once you've crossed the Golden Gate the road is quite fast and scenic. I personally would take that route at least in one direction, especially with kids, in order to avoid sensory deprivation (and serious heat) on I-5 through the central valley.

Six days with kids for this trip is pretty minimal - if you do decide to use I-5 much of the way then you might consider driving at night for part of the time. You certainly won't be missing any scenery.

I guess if it were me I'd do the night-blitzkrieg drive up the freeway to Grants Pass, do the riverboat thing, then try to take at least 3 days southbound, stopping at Eureka - dinner at the Samoa Cookhouse in Samoa - the kids (and you) will love it, then SF, then a hard push home, down I-5 if needed. You need time to stop at several of the Redwood groves for the kids' sake - the big trees never fail to impress. Or do the Trees of Mystery - a kid-car-drive favorite for 50+ years.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:25 PM
mpf
Original Poster

Just was I was hoping for - thank you for your good reponses. My apologies for not making myself clear.

Winnie: Our oldest daughter returned a month ago from a school trip to Sacramento and Gold Country, and the other kids will be going when they get to 8th grade.

gato: Hwy 395 has so many gems along the highway. We go to Carson City to visit family several times a year and it doesn't fit in with this trip.

Gardyloo: The idea of the drive to Grants Pass is the place/idea I was looking for with the one big push. Thank you for all the highway information, and we will see the Redwoods; and thanks for the recommendation of the Samoa House in Eureka. We have limited time because of a business, and we like to see one area and see it well. Sounds perfect!